There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We have the 3 biggest freaks in the NFL

Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

There are many different types and compositions of "field turf." Obviously it's not the same since it's not the same field. There is only one Combine and it's in Indianapolis. On that turf Willis ran 4.49. Congratulations to him. That's a very fast time for an ILB. In fact it would rank among the fastest in the NFL.


Originally posted by Wikipedia:
FieldTurf is a brand of artificial turf playing surface. It is manufactured and installed by the FieldTurf Tarkett division of Tarkett Inc., based in Calhoun, Georgia.[1] In the late 1990s, the artificial surface changed the industry[2] with a design intended to replicate real grass.[3] The new system quickly began taking market share from AstroTurf, and is now the leader in the industry.[4]

link

FieldTurf: A Tarkett Sports Company


You are still wrong.

Give up yet?



There are different types of field turf. Some are indoor. Some are outdoor. Some are newer. Some are older. Some are super springy and fast. Others are not. There are different manufacturing years and different compositions. Also there is aging of the field turf vs. brand new field turf. Hardly apples to apples...

Apples to apples is running on the same exact surface as all the other players at Indianapolis. Scouts typically add 0.1 or 0.12 to private campus workouts since those are fast tracks where players try to gain an advangage.

Therefore 4.37 on super fast springy turf is 4.37 + 0.12 = 4.49. Exactly what he ran at the combine...

I can run 4.09 personally. Downhill, with the wind and on a very fast field turf track. See I can play this game too. But not on the Indy turf because that would be comparing apples to apples. But on the turf of my choosing and conditions of my choosing and downhill and with the wind I can be faster than Chris Johnson.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Apr 28, 2010 at 01:54:26 ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Originally posted by Dominate:
VD
P-52
Mays

We have the 3 most physically gifted players in the NFL. A 240+ lb LB who runs in the 4.3 range. A TE who weighs 255lbs and also runs in the 4.3 range. Now we add a 230lb saftey who runs in the 4.2 - 4.3 range.

Can you think of any players more physically gifted at their respective postions?

I'd take Chris Johnson over Mays and VD. P-52 is the best player in the League so ain't no one ahead of him in the gifts department.

Chris Johnson isnt a physical freak dude. hes a little tiny guy with a big bubble helmet and dreads who runs faster than the wind. a physical freak would be someone who is large and strong, but also fast. like VD.

although as awesome as Willis is, i dont think hes a physical freak. when he does the Joe Show in the locker room, hes definitely cut, but hes not as large/tall as youd think with the pads off. what matters is he plays like a freak.

CJ is still very strong, if he wasn't he'd just be another scat back with ridiculous speed. And P-52 come on just cuz he ain't 6-4 doesn't mean he's not a freak, a MLB that runs like a WR, but still can knock the stuffing out of you, if that's not a freak of nature I don't know what is.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:




You're still wrong, though.

Quote:
As the world’s largest synthetic turf company, you will find FieldTurf in many major stadiums around the globe – but there are no differences between a field installed at an NFL stadium and one installed in a small town. For every NFL Stadium we build, there are over 100 high schools and municipalities that play on our turf.
link

Both the field in Indianapolis and Ole Miss are indoors. No wind. No downhill. Ole Miss installed theirs in 2004 and Indianapolis in 2005.

Scouts do tend to knock off time at a pro day, but they also take into account the surface being used. In the same year Willis was drafted there was controversy about conflicting reports about the field Darrelle Revis ran on.

Quote:
UPDATE: A league source tells us that, while the Revis workout was "very good" overall, he ran on a track. Scouts add 0.05 seconds, at a minimum, to times generated on a track. We've also heard that some scouts timed Revis at 4.45, which projects to at least a 4.5 on the surface employed at the scouting combine.

FURTHER UPDATE: There's now a dispute as to whether Revis ran on a track or on FieldTurf. We're trying to get to the bottom of it.

ANOTHER UPDATE: A source who was at the workout says that Revis had a "great workout" and that he ran on FieldTurf. He was clocked as fast as 4.39. "His agilities were outstanding," said the source, "and so was his position work." The source added that, while some teams might add time to the number, others regard it is a slow surface, similar to grass.
link

Anything else you'd like me to clear up for you?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:




You're still wrong, though.

Quote:
As the world’s largest synthetic turf company, you will find FieldTurf in many major stadiums around the globe – but there are no differences between a field installed at an NFL stadium and one installed in a small town. For every NFL Stadium we build, there are over 100 high schools and municipalities that play on our turf.
link

Both the field in Indianapolis and Ole Miss are indoors. No wind. No downhill. Ole Miss installed theirs in 2004 and Indianapolis in 2005.

Scouts do tend to knock off time at a pro day, but they also take into account the surface being used. In the same year Willis was drafted there was controversy about conflicting reports about the field Darrelle Revis ran on.

Quote:
UPDATE: A league source tells us that, while the Revis workout was "very good" overall, he ran on a track. Scouts add 0.05 seconds, at a minimum, to times generated on a track. We've also heard that some scouts timed Revis at 4.45, which projects to at least a 4.5 on the surface employed at the scouting combine.

FURTHER UPDATE: There's now a dispute as to whether Revis ran on a track or on FieldTurf. We're trying to get to the bottom of it.

ANOTHER UPDATE: A source who was at the workout says that Revis had a "great workout" and that he ran on FieldTurf. He was clocked as fast as 4.39. "His agilities were outstanding," said the source, "and so was his position work." The source added that, while some teams might add time to the number, others regard it is a slow surface, similar to grass.
link

Anything else you'd like me to clear up for you?



There is an "add" for private on campus workouts. That all depends on the conditions. Indoors, outdoors, wind, no wind, field turf, no field turf, grass, rubber track, a historically fast track at a specific university (has been known to be fast) and many other factors.

An "add" can be 0.05 as the ONE EXAMPLE you showed says or it can be as much as 0.10 or 0.12.

The fact is there is an "ADD." And there is an add for Willis at his private day workout. So he's not as fast as what he ran. That's the bottom line. But he's still real fast and I'm glad we have him.

  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:




There is an "add" for private on campus workouts. That all depends on the conditions. Indoors, outdoors, wind, no wind, field turf, no field turf, grass, rubber track, a historically fast track at a specific university (has been known to be fast) and many other factors.

An "add" can be 0.05 as the ONE EXAMPLE you showed says or it can be as much as 0.10 or 0.12.

The fact is there is an "ADD." And there is an add for Willis at his private day workout. So he's not as fast as what he ran. That's the bottom line. But he's still real fast and I'm glad we have him.


Oh, I should just take you word for it, should I?

There isn't always an "add". As a matter of fact, sometimes there is a "subtract".

Originally posted by Gil Brandt:
The other noteworthy player among the 14 prospects that participated was KR LeRoy Vann. Vann (5-8 3/8, 177) ran 4.59 and 4.62 in the 40, had a 35-inch vertical, a 9-10 broad, a 4.26 short shuttle and a 7.27 three-cone drill. Those numbers are not really a true barometer, however, due to the poor field conditions. link

It would be pretty stupid to "add" to his time, wouldn't it?

Willis ran on an identical surface in identical conditions. As others have pointed out, the thing that changed was his health and the fact that he had a false start in Indianapolis.

He ran a legit 4.3 at his pro day.

Just for fun:

Quote:
Arizona Cardinals wideout Sean Morey appeared to be running away from the 49ers defense, streaking down the right sideline on his way to what seemed a game-winning, overtime touchdown Nov. 25.

Seemingly out of nowhere, Willis ran down Morey after a 62-yard, catch-and-run for the game-saving tackle. The Niners eventually won 37-31. It was the most remarkable of Willis' NFL-leading 174 tackles.

"If I'm running a race, I don't quit if somebody else is ahead," Willis says.

Willis says he and NFL offensive rookie of the year Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings would run "neck and neck" as they trained for the 2007 predraft scouting combine at Athletes Performance Institute in Tempe, Ariz. Willis clocked 4.38 seconds for 40 yards during his University of Mississippi pro-day workout.

"He's faster than most defensive backs," 49ers assistant head coach-defense Mike Singletary says. "But that Morey play exemplified Patrick's heart. link

Why are you having such a hard time admitting you are wrong on this one? C'mon, won't it feel all nice and fuzzy knowing Willis is really just that awesome?
Willis ran between 4.49 - 4.51 at Indianapolis at the combine on the same exact surface that hundreds and hundreds of players have run on over the years.

You will never change that no matter how much you want to. And neither will he. Gaming the system by runnning on a fast surface at your home turf at your own college doesn't count.

End of story. Bye now.


  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Willis ran between 4.49 - 4.51 at Indianapolis at the combine on the same exact surface that hundreds and hundreds of players have run on over the years.

You will never change that no matter how much you want to. And neither will he. Gaming the system by runnning on a fast surface at your home turf at your own college doesn't count.

End of story. Bye now.



Pride just won't let you admit you're wrong, eh?

Are you taking your ball and going home now?

If you change your mind and come up with something substantial to say, I'll be here.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,479
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Willis ran between 4.49 - 4.51 at Indianapolis at the combine on the same exact surface that hundreds and hundreds of players have run on over the years.

You will never change that no matter how much you want to. And neither will he. Gaming the system by runnning on a fast surface at your home turf at your own college doesn't count.

End of story. Bye now.



Willis would have clocked a 4.38-4.42 but he had a false start like the above poster said and didn't want to be disqualified so he had a slower start.

shaun hill (sean?)
Originally posted by Dominate:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Originally posted by Dominate:
VD
P-52
Mays

We have the 3 most physically gifted players in the NFL. A 240+ lb LB who runs in the 4.3 range. A TE who weighs 255lbs and also runs in the 4.3 range. Now we add a 230lb saftey who runs in the 4.2 - 4.3 range.

Can you think of any players more physically gifted at their respective postions?

I'd take Chris Johnson over Mays and VD. P-52 is the best player in the League so ain't no one ahead of him in the gifts department.

I wouldnt, I wouldnt be surprised if Johnson could only last another 3 full years at his size.


It's funny, the only people that seem to think that are the ones that have never seen him. CJ is 5'11" and 200 pounds, maybe a little more than that now. He is not what people would call a "scatback" just because of his speed. He has good size and is well built. He runs fine in-between the tackles, and even stayed in last year on most short yardage and goaline situations. He doesn't take a lot of hard hits either - it's hard for a defender to really T off on him when most of them are reaching for the back of his jersey...

I'd trade ANYONE we have on our roster for Johnson. Willis is the only one I'd even have to think twice about.
Freek-a-leek, damn it!!!!



Need a break from the seriousness...

[ Edited by ninertico on Apr 28, 2010 at 08:44:04 ]
Originally posted by kunged:
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Originally posted by Dominate:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
we should pick up Jamarcus Russell. That'll make 5.

he weighs 300lbs right now. I wouldnt call that physically gifted!

You clearly don't get the joke... he listed 3, adding Jamarcus Russel would give us 5.... in other words... Jamarcus Russell is fat enough to count as two people.

*facepalm*
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Originally posted by TJA85:
Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati are big freaks too.


How are they going to do in the Nutcracker drill in training camp?...my guess Iupati will dominate.

don't think they are going to do that drill again after it injured a few players last TC