LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 147 users in the forums

Are You Worried About the 49ers Continuing to Be Predictable on Offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are You Worried About the 49ers Continuing to Be Predictable on Offense?

"Becoming"???

Originally posted by PTulini:
What do you guys think? Am I reading too much into this?

Yes, and everyone else is too.
The Jets ran a predictable offense last season and it seemed to work for them.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
1st down - run up the middle 3 yard gain
2nd down - run up the middle 3 yard gain
3rd down - pass Alex roles out to his right and throws the ball away

4th down - punt
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The vertical passing game requires a level of predictability to be successful. The premise is, pound the rock succesfully between the tackles and force the secondary (primarily safeties) and LBs to crowd the box.

Once you see them creeping up (predicting the run and trying to stop it), you go play-action and throw over the top.

Now, that's a simplified version, but it's really what this system was designed to do, providing you have the right elements:

1.) Great running game (combination of a tough inside runner and quality o-lineman)
2.) WRs/TEs that can get deep and stretch the field
3.) QB that can throw accurately downfield

Sounds like you're describing the Dallas Cowboys of the 90's

Seriously though - is this what New Orleans does? I'm just curious. And this question is to anyone - please;

What version of the digit system do we run? Is it different from other Digit incarnations today?

That's exactly the kind of offense Raye wants to build here...Cowboys of the 90's.

Raye learned under Ernie Zampese (who was Norv Turner's mentor) while with the Rams and worked closely with Al Saunders who was a disciple of (and early assistant coach to) Don Coryell. They all learned this system from Sid Gillman and have tweaked it over time, but the main concepts still survive.
TASER

Originally posted by lamontb:
A lot depends on Alex's abillity to drop back from under center and read defenses properly. He has to drop back from under center and be more successful. then if the running game gets going that will really open up screens, bootlegs, and play action. Couldn't do that last year b/c every time he went under center it was a run. The few times he did drop back to pass from under center the dam near tripped over his own feet. Smith's progression along with a better o line is the key to the development of the offense.

One of the Matts broke it down and most of Smith's passing TD's were from under center. Some people make a bigger issue out of Smith playing under center than it really is.
One of Gore's abilities is getting thru small holes and breaking one and having two more extra linemen of exceptional ability will bring a lot of oppurtunities for Gore. They really needed Iupati but I hope they get him really grounded before they start him. Too many rookies get hurt before they learn the small things like when and how to fall to prevent injuries and it is as rookies when most injuries seem to occur. From all accounts both Davis and Iupati can pass block so as they work into starters, the pass blocking should improve. Even though Rachal improved a bit, he seemed awful slow and stiff legged. He looked flabbier then Alex Boone and much slower. IMO the offensive line was like the keystone cops. Just a bunch of mice running erratically.
That is why, I wanted new coaches and some players gone. It seemed there was a major dysfunction there somewhere. Whether Iupati and or Davis start, I believe if that dysfunction is cured the offense will be much improved. If neither player starts (unlikely) I love the fact the depth would be so much better. The depth quality has been woeful.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
The Jets ran a predictable offense last season and it seemed to work for them.

Primarly because of a great offensive line, reliable running game and stifling defense. From a pure QB rating standpoint, Sanchez was one of the worst passers in the league year, but they had everything else in place and nearly made it to the Super Bowl.

when you have those other pieces in place, you don't need a pro-bowl season from your QB.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 27, 2010 at 14:23:23 ]
Too predictable? Hell naw. Who else but Jummy Raye calls a WR reverse on 3rd and 1?

Becoming?

Seriously, though, I think that if we can play like the Jets did last year, it won't be a problem. It doesn't matter if the other team knows you're running if they can't stop you. I think the key is for Jimmy to have the ability to call the right play when we really need it. The Jets kept it really simple in the playoffs. They didn't ask Sanchez to do too much, but when they needed a solid pass play, their OC dialed up a well designed play that got the job done. That's what we need out of Jimmy.
My answer to your question is a resounding "yes," although I would have rephrased it to ask whether we are concerned about the 9ers CONTINUING to be a predictable offense. Let's hope not.

Do we have any evidence that Raye/Singletary have agreed that we will be unpredictable, innovative and creative in the coming year?

The steps taken to draft two premier OL prospects and the bold moves taken to bring in dynmic PR/KRs are encouraging, suggesting that someone in the organization reviewed the last year and plainlysaw what we needed to do. Perhaps that same introspection included an awakening to the fact that we were too predictable and conservative.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Becoming?

Seriously, though, I think that if we can play like the Jets did last year, it won't be a problem. It doesn't matter if the other team knows you're running if they can't stop you. I think the key is for Jimmy to have the ability to call the right play when we really need it. The Jets kept it really simple in the playoffs. They didn't ask Sanchez to do too much, but when they needed a solid pass play, their OC dialed up a well designed play that got the job done. That's what we need out of Jimmy.

Sometimes, but not always. What saved their azz most often was their great defense...that wasn't always the case with our defense. They were good, but they weren't dominant like the Jets. IMO, the final piece of this puzzle will be the creation of a stifling defense; one that gets key stops, helps the offense with great field position and timely turnovers.
No.

We have far too much talent on the field to be even considered one dimensional. But if teams think this, we could use it to our advantage. Let them see our power in the running game, then release the Davis/Crabtree/Ginn beast and burn all opposition to hell and back!
If anything this draft made us more versatile. Last year we couldn't run the ball at all. We tried, but we couldn't. Our offense worked best when Alex was in the gun and we were throwing the ball all over the field. That is one dimensional. Now we can run the ball, and I truly believe Sing knows football well enough to know that run-pass needs to be close to 50-50 to be successful. We will be much more balanced this year.
Share 49ersWebzone