LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

Are You Worried About the 49ers Continuing to Be Predictable on Offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are You Worried About the 49ers Continuing to Be Predictable on Offense?

I love the additions of OT Anthony Davis and OG Mike Iupati through the draft. After years of complaining, it looks as though we have finally solitified our offensive line. Then, we added a big, bruising RB in Anthony Dixon and a good blocking TE in Nate Byham. I like the moves, but I wonder... Are we showing our hand to the NFL?

From HC Mike Singletary, to QB Alex Smith, the team says the want balance. I'm just worried that we still may become too predictable. (Run on 3rd and long?... Run, Run, Run?)

What do you guys think? Am I reading too much into this?

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 27, 2010 at 19:37:34 ]
no
Originally posted by valrod33:
no
I am not worried about them becoming predictable because they already are. I am hoping they move away from predictable and become a balanced offense.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by valrod33:
no
Hopefully Raye, Johnson, Smith and Singletary will expand the repetoire of our play calling depending upon the consistency of the Oline. We need some screens, bootlegs, slants, and crossing patterns. I also hope we get to see the Spread offense with some regularity as well. All kinds of hopeful thinking. Time will tell how well it all unfolds.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Raye definitely needs to mix it up, it seemed like teams were being able to predict what we were gonna do with good success, especially later in the season. Moving in to year 2 of Jimmy Raye i would hope he can add a whole lot more wrinkles to the offense and make it harder for defenses to know what we're gonna do
The vertical passing game requires a level of predictability to be successful. The premise is, pound the rock succesfully between the tackles and force the secondary (primarily safeties) and LBs to crowd the box.

Once you see them creeping up (predicting the run and trying to stop it), you go play-action and throw over the top.

Now, that's a simplified version, but it's really what this system was designed to do, providing you have the right elements:

1.) Great running game (combination of a tough inside runner and quality o-lineman)
2.) WRs/TEs that can get deep and stretch the field
3.) QB that can throw accurately downfield
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The vertical passing game requires a level of predictability to be successful. The premise is, pound the rock succesfully between the tackles and force the secondary (primarily safeties) and LBs to crowd the box.

Once you see them creeping up (predicting the run and trying to stop it), you go play-action and throw over the top.

Now, that's a simplified version, but it's really what this system was designed to do, providing you have the right elements:

1.) Great running game (combination of a tough inside runner and quality o-lineman)

I think Davis showed last year that he can get open and Smith and Davis did well in their coordination. I think Crabtree and Smith will develop some more rthym this year. It will be interesting to see what role Ginn/Washington plays and can he stetch the defense and open it up for Crabtree/Morgan/Davis and if so will Raye use it? But the key point is will our oline be able to give us time to develop all of these plays. I believe that with Solari/Brown that our Oline will produce.

Ah the elements of Sid Gilman. I didn't know Davis played in a zone-blocking scheme at Rutgers. Dang man, he and Iupati have the best feet of any of the OLs in the first. I know Solari will be implementing elements of Zone plus the Power base. I can see this incredibly huge line moving the pocket when needed, pulling and using those nimble feet to their advantage.

With Ginn and Williams now, we have WRs with football speed known for stretching defenses. Now add our 4.38, 250+ TE who can flat out fly. Then for a topper add our two new OLs who can provide those additional precious 2-5 seconds to see down-field.

Predictable is 4th and 1. Guess what we are going to do now? We dare you to stop us!!!

Finally some success in that department. That's really what I am excited about with this class. Iupati, Davis and Byman will contribute to that department now.

Finally!

Originally posted by NinerGM:
I have to say yes. I know we're going to be smash mouth - and I've always said, you can be a predictable team and still dominate

IF

you have the personnel to pull it off.

It has yet to be proven we can run despite the defense loading up to stop the run. I hope we don't "try" this approach for 8 games, discover it's not working and reinvent the offense. Oh wait we did that already.

We need to not just talk balance, but the playbook needs to be balanced in its creativity - run or pass.

this is what our season relies on
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yes
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

With Iupati and Anthony Davis and Dixon as the bigger short yardage back i think we have 1 covered pretty well.

Ginn and Vernon are excellent at stretching the field vertically, Morgan, Crabtree and Walker are good in medium range. More or less covered.

This is where it gets tricky. Alex can throw it deep, but it certainly requires adjustments by receivers, its not often that Alex can lead a receiver perfectly on a deep pass
A lot depends on Alex's abillity to drop back from under center and read defenses properly. He has to drop back from under center and be more successful. then if the running game gets going that will really open up screens, bootlegs, and play action. Couldn't do that last year b/c every time he went under center it was a run. The few times he did drop back to pass from under center the dam near tripped over his own feet. Smith's progression along with a better o line is the key to the development of the offense.
Not worried about it. Just know that they are.
Share 49ersWebzone