LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Have we lost our edge?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by aclarke49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I will be completely honest here. I am very impressed with what the Hawks have done this season and there seems to be a strong sense of enthusiasm in Seattle. They still have the most established QB in the NFC West and have made some nice pickups. They still have some gaps obviously but don't be surprised if Seattle is very competitive and even wins the NFC West, as hard as it is to say. Pete has a very strong offensive mind and he WILL get the absolute most out of his offense. He's extremely creative and creating mismatches and many of the players he has now are familiar with his system; a system that did bring much success. On the other hand, we don't have a HC with an offensive mind and offense, clearly, has been our weakness whether we've had weapons or not, creativity has not existed in our system since Martz left, good or bad. Raye flat out scares me and I'm afraid we are going to force feed NFL defenses Gore and our o-line all day again. We keep hearing "balance" but with Singletary and Raye's track record, does anyone fully have confidence this is a staff who can game-plan properly, make in-game and half-time adjustments and essentially, outcoach an opponent by getting the max out of all our offensive weapons? Let's just say that I'm cautiously optimistic even with the help of Johnson's knowledge of the spread and Alex getting more input into game planning. Will he ever be allowed to call an audible and get out of a run up the gut when clearly, the defense is run blitzing with 8 and 9 men in the box? The Niners have the potential to run away with this division no matter how much Seattle has done this offseason but now it's up to the philosophy and coaching staff to put it all together. We shall find out in a few months!

I agree. The addition of a better line, Young WR's and RB's in Seattle gives me concerns. However, what makes me more nervouse is that their D should be much improved.

I thought, and still think that one big reason why our offense suffered is because of our number two receiver slot. Namely Josh Morgan. He seems like a slightly better version of Arnaz Battle, which has been the problem with this team for the past 8 years. He will rarely draw attention from safeties up top because he can barely get open in man coverage. He looks like a slug running his routes.

You put Ginn, Brandon Jones or Jason Hill out there, and they can stretch the field, open up lanes for Vernon and Crabtree. The funny thing is that he drops a bunch of passes, so he's not much of a possession receiver either. I am not a big fan of Morgan, and hope that Ginn learns how to catch so he takes over Morgan's spot. I only hope that Ginn doesn't end up in Jerry "I Heart Bryan Gilmore + Taylor Jacobs" Sullivan's doghouse, or he'll never see the field.

And to address the subject, we added Iupati and Taylor Mays. Even Navarro Bowman and LeRoy Vann are going to give this team an attitude that will intensify our whole roster in 2010. Let's just throw some greased lightning into that equation so that there's some float to the sting
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Dominate:
Well he used to have Norm Chow and when he came to the NFL he didnt impress. Just my 2 cents.

Believe me bro, I hope YOU are right! Let's revisit this midway through the year.

Will do, I would enjoy that. But Im not to worried about that offense to be honest. That defense under Carroll worries me more.

[ Edited by Dominate on Apr 29, 2010 at 00:00:44 ]
Leroy is a Titan no? I think that anyone could loose a job at WR (except crabtree). I expect a very stiff competition at that position come training camp.
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Leroy is a Titan no? I think that anyone could loose a job at WR (except crabtree). I expect a very stiff competition at that position come training camp.
Former FAMU player Leroy Vann gets signed with the 49ers
my bad . i was thinking about Blount from Oregon
just wondering, why's everyone all over pete carrol? he wasnt even the best coach in his last year, sheesh
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
my bad . i was thinking about Blount from Oregon

Titans are gonna Rolle a Blount
Originally posted by aclarke49:
Have we lost our edge in the NFC West? Seattle had a really good off season and I don't think AZ will be as bad as everyone is thinking. Prior to this off season I felt we had the West hands down, but now I'm not so sure. We will have some tough games. What do you think?
a lot of guys thought already last year that the chickens will be powerful again...and even if they got a very good draft (on the paper they had one of the best drafts of all teams, imo), those guys are rookies. you have to wait up how much impact they will really have on that team.
and i dont see the chickens rebuilded...

the cards have only one big weakness on the paper: quarterback...like i know, derek anderson played a very good season at browns, a few years ago. and who knows, perhaps leinart can step up and be the franchise qb the cards see in him...

i am a little bit frightened of the fact that some people start to overrate the hawks and underrate the cards...
Share 49ersWebzone