LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Path to the Draft: 49ers Review (04/26/10)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Charley Casserly, Michael Lombardi, Bucky Brooks, and Charles Davis just raved over our draft. They loved our two 1st round picks (OT Anthony Davis and OG Mike Iupati) expecting both men to start almost instantly at RT and LG respectively! Charles Davis said he really likes our selection of Taylor Mays in the 2nd round. He said Mays is a playmaker and we should expect him to make an impact early on.

The thing that most suprised me was what Charley Casserly said next. He expects that all three of our 6th round picks (WR Kyle Williams, RB Anthony Dixon, and TE Nate Byham) will all make the team. He says he likes Kyle Williams' ability as a return man, but he should find a role as our slot WR which in his opion we are lacking. As for Dixon, he thinks Dixon will fill a good role as our goalline/short yardage RB. And he thinks Nate Byham has a great ability as a blocking TE.

They said to expect to establish the running game which will allow us to use the play action pass to open things up down field! I wish I could have recorded it, but hopefully one of you can catch the replay. It will be airing again @ 8am ET/5am PT. Then again @ 11am ET/8am PT.

If I find a video of it, I'll post a link.

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 27, 2010 at 00:20:27 ]
Thanks PT. That is very cool to hear. I'm also pretty excited to see what LeRoy Vann can do in preseason.
Yo...I was just about to make my own thread for a similar topic but decided to put here instead.

i just found this vid for post draft grades on nfl.com and they (Woodson and some others) are grading us out. They give us an A or A- behind the Seahawks A+(they did have a decent draft) but check their comments at the end. Giving our Niners all the love for the division title

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d817d089b/NFC-West-draft-grades

[ Edited by brucesf49 on Apr 27, 2010 at 00:41:36 ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
Charley Casserly, Michael Lombardi, Bucky Brooks, and Charles Davis just raved over our draft. They loved our two 1st round picks (OT Anthony Davis and OG Mike Iupati) expecting both men to start almost instantly at RT and LG respectively! Charles Davis said he really likes our selection of Taylor Mays in the 2nd round. He said Mays is a playmaker and we should expect him to make an impact early on.

The thing that most suprised me was what Charley Casserly said next. He expects that all three of our 6th round picks (WR Kyle Williams, RB Anthony Dixon, and TE Nate Byham) will all make the team. He says he likes Kyle Williams' ability as a return man, but he should find a role as our slot WR which in his opion we are lacking. As for Dixon, he thinks Dixon will fill a good role as our goalline/short yardage RB. And he thinks Nate Byham has a great ability as a blocking TE.

They said to expect to establish the running game which will allow us to use the play action pass to open things up down field! I wish I could have recorded it, but hopefully one of you can catch the replay. It will be airing again @ 8am ET/5am PT. Then again @ 11am ET/8am PT.

Well if six draft picks make the team that is a pretty good draft. Then we still have to account for Bowman as well. If he makes the team that would be 7 players that make the team. That is a very good draft. That along with Ginn and Vann, and LaBoy makes a very very good off season.

Now all we need to do is pick up couple of CBs.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Well if six draft picks make the team that is a pretty good draft. Then we still have to account for Bowman as well. If he makes the team that would be 7 players that make the team. That is a very good draft. That along with Ginn and Vann, and LaBoy makes a very very good off season.

How many linebackers are typically kept on our rosters? we are kinda bloating in that area now, no?? if so who sticks and who is out? do you think we trade Manny if we are investing in olb's now
that was a lot of questions i just asked..lol
Originally posted by brucesf49:

How many linebackers are typically kept on our rosters? we are kinda bloating in that area now, no?? if so who sticks and who is out? do you think we trade Manny if we are investing in olb's now

I could see Bowman beating out McKillop for a spot. Singletary did say McKillop is still struggling to pick things up.

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 27, 2010 at 00:53:17 ]
oh..and way off subject but did they add more bars under our names

[ Edited by brucesf49 on Apr 27, 2010 at 01:00:11 ]

I could see Bowman beating out McKillop for a spot. Singletary did say McKillop is still struggling to pick things up.

That is the MLB spot tho and Spikes is around at least another year in the middle. I'm not as worried about that as OLB. We need to make sure we are felt from there. I like Manny but he needs to produce more sacks to stay here or at the least if he wants to stay on the field.
Yo...I was just about to make my own thread for a similar topic but decided to put here instead.

i just found this vid for post draft grades on nfl.com and they (Woodson and some others) are grading us out. They give us an A or A- behind the Seahawks A+(they did have a decent draft) but check their comments at the end. Giving our Niners all the love for the division title

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d817d089b/NFC-West-draft-grades

i agree with rod, our secondary is not on the same level with our front. if theres something that worries about our d is our pass coverage and missing that pass rusher whos a guarantee to wreck havoc

last i checked spencer clements and brown are better than most 3 cb's on other teams....at least top 10. even with our secondary as is with goldson we are fine. And our secondary sure held Manning and Warner in check 2 of the best qb's in football.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

i agree with rod, our secondary is not on the same level with our front. if theres something that worries about our d is our pass coverage and missing that pass rusher whos a guarantee to wreck havoc

yes but we have a 3 man rotation at safety that will wreak havoc on all receivers.
Originally posted by elguapo:
last i checked spencer clements and brown are better than most 3 cb's on other teams....at least top 10. even with our secondary as is with goldson we are fine. And our secondary sure held Manning and Warner in check 2 of the best qb's in football.

I kinda agree. I don't think our secondary was a top need for the draft. we were not ranked very well last year on pass defense but that I think takes us back to the OLB thing. We get more pressure from these guys and produce more sacks and I think our pass D will look much better at the end of the season. Manny did produce over 6 sacks last season which i didn't even realize till a couple days ago, but we could use a 10-15 sack guy.

maybe we have that with brooks?

[ Edited by brucesf49 on Apr 27, 2010 at 01:48:47 ]

we usually keep 4 ILBs so it'll likely be willis, tko, mckillop and bowman. gbye wilhelm

our 5wrs will be crab, morgan, ginn, k.williams and j.hill. gbye b.jones. u got overpaid

our RBs will be gore, coffee, dixon. gbye mrob. we have so many safeties and LBs now... we're good on ST
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:

we usually keep 4 ILBs so it'll likely be willis, tko, mckillop and bowman. gbye wilhelm

our 5wrs will be crab, morgan, ginn, k.williams and j.hill. gbye b.jones. u got overpaid

our RBs will be gore, coffee, dixon. gbye mrob. we have so many safeties and LBs now... we're good on ST

yo...we should definitely be more concerned about OLB...not ILB(or MLB).

I hope they ditch B. Jones.---way overpaid and not needed.

I agree with MRob goin bye bye. Kinda wish we would have kept sheets last year.

[ Edited by brucesf49 on Apr 27, 2010 at 01:58:03 ]
Share 49ersWebzone