There are 237 users in the forums

Is Anthony Davis Going to Play RT or LT as a Rookie?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
I’m sure that AD must be great, because everyone says so. But I haven’t seen any evidence of that. His stats are average at best and his measurables are average. He ran his 40 in 5.4 sec (SLOW). His shuttle times, bench, etc = below average. He had problems at school. I understand he’s only 20, so perhaps that’s the reason.

Of course performance is the bottom line, but check it out. He didn't even make first team Big East, he only made the big east SECOND team. Rutgers allowed the second most sacks (40) in all of football last year. AD allowed ~ 6.5 sacks in two years. In the limited video I have seen he doesn’t look special (compare to the Iupati video). Maybe they just haven’t posted his good video anywhere.

Well the thing about Davis is he played better competition than Iupati, and he's younger. Iupati's already developed into a beast. Davis is a 20 year old junior who is already 6'5'' 330 lbs of beef. Plus 6 sacks in 2 years isn't horrible. It's not great, but their QB ran into defenders a lot also. He is a talented pass blocker, who needs some coaching. Also 40 time for OLineman doesn't really matter. 5.3 for someone 330 isn't that surprising. We don't need him to sprint in a straight line in shorts, we need him to move side to side to stop pass rushers and to move around to open up holes.

Of course you are probably correct, since that's what the scouts and Sing all say. I don't have much video, but the little video they do show isn't that great; plus his measurables are average. I guess he must have done well on the other tape. Plus only 20, so lots of 'upside'. It will be interesting to watch his performance and hopefully his development.

Yeah, I think the big key with this guy is that we have a good OL coach now in Solari. I think with Foerster still here he wouldn't have done as well, he wouldn't have learned very much and would've struggle by just relying on his size and raw talent. But Solari has taken young OLineman before and made them starters as rookies in KC and Seattle, and so I can see him doing a great job coaching up our 20 year old RT. I mean this kid isn't even old enough to drink alcohol, and he was the 11th pick in the draft. Plus if you listen to the interviews he's done, like the one on KNBR in his thread, or the 49ers.com thing where he arrives in SF, you can tell that this kid has a great attitude and really wants to get to work and become a good player.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Davis will play right tackle barring 2 events...

1) Staley is hurt.
2) Davis comes out of the gate like the second coming of Anthony Munoz.

Neither of those is likely, so I'd say we hope he learns fast and plays well enough to start at RT in week 1.

Most Rookie OTs drafted as high as Davis start at LT as rookies, period -- even on good teams. No sense in confusing them by making them play RT for a couple of years.

Most LTs taken that high in the draft don't already have a good LT on the roster.

this
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Davis will play right tackle barring 2 events...

1) Staley is hurt.
2) Davis comes out of the gate like the second coming of Anthony Munoz.

Neither of those is likely, so I'd say we hope he learns fast and plays well enough to start at RT in week 1.

Most Rookie OTs drafted as high as Davis start at LT as rookies, period -- even on good teams. No sense in confusing them by making them play RT for a couple of years.

LOL!!!! This is the most hilarious thing I've read yet! What is this based on?

Did you see my initial post??? 12 rookies taken in the top 15 since 2004 (excluding this year, 2010). Of those, only 4 played on the right side. And as someone pointed out earlier, Levi Brown played RT for a lefty, so he doesn't count. So its really like 75%.

Of the 12 how many started day one and how successful were those offenses. My comment, the reason why I edited it, wasn't because I didn't read your post, but because the statistical correlation says NOTHING about opposing offensive team's performance (previous and current year). There's a reason why NFL head coaches would prefer NOT to have a rookie starting at LT if they can avoid it. If you're taking a LT high, in the top 15, it's probably because you have a crappy team.

2004 - Robert Gallery - Raiders
2005 - Jamal Brown (Jim Hasletts 3-13 Saints)
2006 - Fergueson - (8-8 New York Jets)
2007 - Joe Thomas - Cleveland
2008 - Jake Long - Miami
2009 - Jason Smith - Rams

Of that group, Andrews was drafted by Philadelphia 16 in 2004, but he didn't start. Philly was a good team so they didn't need to start that player.

As far as this team is concerned, they won't start Davis at LT. This would totally make the re-signing of Sims a waste. Even if Davis has an exceptional camp, he still won't start at LT. A 20 yo rookie who by all accounts needs to develop will not be entrusted to block for Smith's blind side and expect the offense to be consistent.

We can't be an run-only offense this season (again). The team has to achieve some consistency in their pass-blocking and protection calls. That's something that comes through experience playing at an NFL level.

Just my opinion.

O-lines also gel -- so why not put Davis at LT NOW and let the line get some cohesion...if he proves it in camp.

Yes, OLs do gel... and you actually bring up a good point about a configuration I would prefer:

Sims - Iupati - Heitman - Rachal/Baas/Snyder battle - Staley

Why? Because this puts our best players on the field.

The problem with putting a rook at LT is that you'll pitting him against the opposing teams best pass-rusher. Maybe it's me but I don't think Davis is quite ready for that, despite what happens in camp. He can get better quickly but how many games are you willing to sacrifice early for a team who hopes to win the West (only way we get to the playoffs). I highly doubt there will be a wild card team from the NFC West this season.

Staley - Iupati - Heitmann - Rachal - Davis

Sims, Snyder, Baas as backups.

Case closed.

Staley - Iupati - Heitmann - Rachal - Davis. Is that the near future? Unless joe looks worse which is unlikely then Davis will be a rt. At some point this should be the line and it has talent and it's time to gel. and work on the little things like mikes hands outside. Davis being young. Rachal should come out thumping.
I don't like the idea of a rookie left side. Surround Iupati with some expierence because he's someone that's going to have a learning curve.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I still can't believe we got Iupati.
Go here: http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d817b8d7e/Singletary-on-first-round

At about the 2:30 mark Singletary says, "he [Anthony Davis] can play either side, uh..uh.. we can decide that later."

From that, it seems like the Niners are quite open to having Davis on the left side. I gather it depends, like most things, how he adjusts and takes it all in during training camp.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Apr 27, 2010 at 06:58:20 ]
Coach Mike Singletary confirmed that Anthony Davis will compete with Adam Snyder for the starting right tackle job and Mike Iupati will compete with David Baas for the starting left guard job.

Read more: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Anthony_Davis/903948#ixzz0mJDhXZOl

--Joe Staley is set at left tackle. Eric Heitmann is the center. Chilo Rachal will be at right guard. Davis will compete with Adam Snyder at right tackle, and Mike Iupati will compete with David Baas at left guard. Baas recently signed his one-year tender as a restricted free agent for a non-guaranteed $1.226 million.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/04/baalke-likely-to-continue-in-49ers-lead-personnel-role.html

END THREAD
Originally posted by valrod33:
He will be a RT. Sing has stated the he will compete at RT with Snyder.

END THREAD
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Go here: http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d817b8d7e/Singletary-on-first-round

At about the 2:30 mark Singletary says, "he [Anthony Davis] can play either side, uh..uh.. we can decide that later."

From that, it seems like the Niners are quite open to having Davis on the left side. I gather it depends, like most things, how he adjusts and takes it all in during training camp.

Yeah, I see them being very open to possibly moving him to LT in the future especially if he excels at RT and Staley maybe gives up a couple of extra sacks. He should be on the right side to start then maybe a permanent move to LT later on.
Coach Mike Singletary confirmed that Anthony Davis will compete with Adam Snyder for the starting right tackle job and Mike Iupati will compete with David Baas for the starting left guard job.

Read more: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Anthony_Davis/903948#ixzz0mJDhXZOl

--Joe Staley is set at left tackle. Eric Heitmann is the center. Chilo Rachal will be at right guard. Davis will compete with Adam Snyder at right tackle, and Mike Iupati will compete with David Baas at left guard. Baas recently signed his one-year tender as a restricted free agent for a non-guaranteed $1.226 million.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/04/baalke-likely-to-continue-in-49ers-lead-personnel-role.html

END THREAD

NO. On NFLN, Singletary said that he can play either side adn they 'can decide that later'.

END THREAD

NO. On NFLN, Singletary said that he can play either side adn they 'can decide that later'.

the quotes i listed were after that interview from nfl.com, so it was later and they decided that he will compete with snyder.

No one is doubting the fact that Davis can play LT but for his rookie year which is what your thread is about Davis will play RT and he should play RT

END THREAD

[ Edited by valrod33 on Apr 27, 2010 at 07:13:44 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
NickBradley, he's going to play RT for his rookie season with the possibility of a move to LT later. I don't how much clearer that could have been said.

END THREAD

the quotes i listed were after that interview from nfl.com, so it was later and they decided that he will compete with snyder.

No one is doubting the fact that Davis can play LT but for his rookie year which is what your thread is about Davis will play RT and he should play RT

END THREAD

This
Is Anthony Davis Going to Play RT or LT as a Rookie?We all assume that Anthony Davis is going to get plugged in at RT as a rookie, but is that necesarily the case?

If he's eventually destined for the left side, why not start him there as a rookie?

tackles picked as high as Davis usually go straight to LT. Of the 12 offensive tackles taken in the top 15 since 2004, only 4 played on the right side -- the rest played on the left side. One of those is Levi Brown, probably the highest-picked tackle that was projected to only play on the right side (Andre Smith may be in that category as well).

Of note, the Packers are going to put Bulaga at LT as a rookie, even though he may not start. According to Packers Head Coach McCarthy:

"Bryan will line up at left tackle. He'll line up right there behind Chad Clifton with Allen Barbre and he will take those reps. It's very important for him to train and be a left tackle."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/2010/04/mike-mccarthys-take-on-his-team.html

My point is that if you plan on playing a high-picked OT at left tackle eventually, you're probably better off sticking him at LT from day one. No sense in retarding his development by making him play as a road-grader for a year or two.

Thoughts?

Isn't it a bit too early to determine this? That is what TC is for, to see where the best fit is for our rooks.
Share 49ersWebzone