LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Is Anthony Davis Going to Play RT or LT as a Rookie?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Davis will play right tackle barring 2 events...

1) Staley is hurt.
2) Davis comes out of the gate like the second coming of Anthony Munoz.

Neither of those is likely, so I'd say we hope he learns fast and plays well enough to start at RT in week 1.

Most Rookie OTs drafted as high as Davis start at LT as rookies, period -- even on good teams. No sense in confusing them by making them play RT for a couple of years.

Most LTs taken that high in the draft don't already have a good LT on the roster.

Bingo.

Is there ANY good reason for a rookie to start at LT when we have our own average LT starting already? It just doesn't make any sense.

-9fA

Yes -- Green Bay Coach Mike McCarthy has said the Bulaga is going to compete/back-up w/ Chad Clifton at LT instead of plugging him in at RT. He doesn't his LT skills to diminish.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

1) Staley is hurt.

Neither of those is likely, so I'd say we hope he learns fast and plays well enough to start at RT in week 1.

Most Rookie OTs drafted as high as Davis start at LT as rookies, period -- even on good teams. No sense in confusing them by making them play RT for a couple of years.

Most LTs taken that high in the draft don't already have a good LT on the roster.

Bingo.

Is there ANY good reason for a rookie to start at LT when we have our own average LT starting already? It just doesn't make any sense.

-9fA

Yes -- Green Bay Coach Mike McCarthy has said the Bulaga is going to compete/back-up w/ Chad Clifton at LT instead of plugging him in at RT. He doesn't his LT skills to diminish.

We have one of the best Oline coaches in the NFL. I think I will trust him determine where Davis should be lining up. I am pretty sure they Drafted this guy with the intent of plugging him in at RT and leaving him there for the next 5-10 years.

My opinion may go against conventional wisdom, but the T position is becoming more and more coveted. Oline in general are high production low bust picks in the 1st round. I don't see anything wrong with taking a guy at 11 and playing him on the right. Also as stated several times, wtf would you want two rookies on the same side of the line?
See Michael Oher and Gaither with the Raiders.

If it aint broken don't fix it. Staley has done a good job at LT and honestly I wouldn't want to have a rookie protecting Smith's blind side.
Not really sure why this topic is still up. Coach has said he's going to be competing for the RT job. Shouldn't that answer all your questions nick?

Also, if you use the stat about how tackles drafted this high usually start at LT one more time I might kill myself. I've never read one thing so many times used by the same person.
Originally posted by genus49:
See Michael Oher and Gaither with the Raiders.(RAVENS)

If it aint broken don't fix it. Staley has done a good job at LT and honestly I wouldn't want to have a rookie protecting Smith's blind side.

fixed
Originally posted by mayo63:
He'll be at RT, unless Staley suddenly starts to struggle then they might make the switch. He can play either position, the safe money is to start him at RT to start his career then see how things play out.

this
LT is probably the 2nd or 3rd hardest position to learn coming into the NFL behind QB and maybe WR
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
RT this year, LT in 2011/2012
From all the highlights I've seen of him, he seems kinda slow honestly. He's definitely a right tackle.
Davis, Iupati, Heitman, Rachel, and Staley... I hope.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

1) Staley is hurt.

LOL!!!! This is the most hilarious thing I've read yet! What is this based on?

Did you see my initial post??? 12 rookies taken in the top 15 since 2004 (excluding this year, 2010). Of those, only 4 played on the right side. And as someone pointed out earlier, Levi Brown played RT for a lefty, so he doesn't count. So its really like 75%.

Of the 12 how many started day one and how successful were those offenses. My comment, the reason why I edited it, wasn't because I didn't read your post, but because the statistical correlation says NOTHING about opposing offensive team's performance (previous and current year). There's a reason why NFL head coaches would prefer NOT to have a rookie starting at LT if they can avoid it. If you're taking a LT high, in the top 15, it's probably because you have a crappy team.

2004 - Robert Gallery - Raiders
2005 - Jamal Brown (Jim Hasletts 3-13 Saints)
2006 - Fergueson - (8-8 New York Jets)
2007 - Joe Thomas - Cleveland
2008 - Jake Long - Miami
2009 - Jason Smith - Rams

Of that group, Andrews was drafted by Philadelphia 16 in 2004, but he didn't start. Philly was a good team so they didn't need to start that player.

As far as this team is concerned, they won't start Davis at LT. This would totally make the re-signing of Sims a waste. Even if Davis has an exceptional camp, he still won't start at LT. A 20 yo rookie who by all accounts needs to develop will not be entrusted to block for Smith's blind side and expect the offense to be consistent.

We can't be an run-only offense this season (again). The team has to achieve some consistency in their pass-blocking and protection calls. That's something that comes through experience playing at an NFL level.

Just my opinion.

O-lines also gel -- so why not put Davis at LT NOW and let the line get some cohesion...if he proves it in camp.

Yes, OLs do gel... and you actually bring up a good point about a configuration I would prefer:
Sims - Iupati - Heitman - Rachal/Baas/Snyder battle - Staley

Why? Because this puts our best players on the field.

The problem with putting a rook at LT is that you'll pitting him against the opposing teams best pass-rusher. Maybe it's me but I don't think Davis is quite ready for that, despite what happens in camp. He can get better quickly but how many games are you willing to sacrifice early for a team who hopes to win the West (only way we get to the playoffs). I highly doubt there will be a wild card team from the NFC West this season.

UH, that was my idea. Check the first page (or second). Help me out here GM I've gone through a string of crappy posts, I need some recognition

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by valrod33:
He will be a RT. Sing has stated the he will compete at RT with Snyder.

END THREAD

he wont be the LT because you NEVER start a rookie at LT. we paid big money to Joe Staley to protect Smith's weak side.

Since 2004, 2/3rds of rookie OTs drafted in the Top 15 started at LT. Your statement is simply false.

ok let me rephrase that. "you never SHOULD start a rookie at LT".

a QB's weak side must be protected. even the best rookies need time to learn how to stop NFL pass rushers.
He's going to play RT obviously.
I’m sure that AD must be great, because everyone says so. But I haven’t seen any evidence of that. His stats are average at best and his measurables are average. He ran his 40 in 5.4 sec (SLOW). His shuttle times, bench, etc = below average. He had problems at school. I understand he’s only 20, so perhaps that’s the reason.

Of course performance is the bottom line, but check it out. He didn't even make first team Big East, he only made the big east SECOND team. Rutgers allowed the second most sacks (40) in all of football last year. AD allowed ~ 6.5 sacks in two years. In the limited video I have seen he doesn’t look special (compare to the Iupati video). Maybe they just haven’t posted his good video anywhere.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
I’m sure that AD must be great, because everyone says so. But I haven’t seen any evidence of that. His stats are average at best and his measurables are average. He ran his 40 in 5.4 sec (SLOW). His shuttle times, bench, etc = below average. He had problems at school. I understand he’s only 20, so perhaps that’s the reason.

Of course performance is the bottom line, but check it out. He didn't even make first team Big East, he only made the big east SECOND team. Rutgers allowed the second most sacks (40) in all of football last year. AD allowed ~ 6.5 sacks in two years. In the limited video I have seen he doesn’t look special (compare to the Iupati video). Maybe they just haven’t posted his good video anywhere.

Well the thing about Davis is he played better competition than Iupati, and he's younger. Iupati's already developed into a beast. Davis is a 20 year old junior who is already 6'5'' 330 lbs of beef. Plus 6 sacks in 2 years isn't horrible. It's not great, but their QB ran into defenders a lot also. He is a talented pass blocker, who needs some coaching. Also 40 time for OLineman doesn't really matter. 5.3 for someone 330 isn't that surprising. We don't need him to sprint in a straight line in shorts, we need him to move side to side to stop pass rushers and to move around to open up holes.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by maxsmart:

Well the thing about Davis is he played better competition than Iupati, and he's younger. Iupati's already developed into a beast. Davis is a 20 year old junior who is already 6'5'' 330 lbs of beef. Plus 6 sacks in 2 years isn't horrible. It's not great, but their QB ran into defenders a lot also. He is a talented pass blocker, who needs some coaching. Also 40 time for OLineman doesn't really matter. 5.3 for someone 330 isn't that surprising. We don't need him to sprint in a straight line in shorts, we need him to move side to side to stop pass rushers and to move around to open up holes.

Of course you are probably correct, since that's what the scouts and Sing all say. I don't have much video, but the little video they do show isn't that great; plus his measurables are average. I guess he must have done well on the other tape. Plus only 20, so lots of 'upside'. It will be interesting to watch his performance and hopefully his development.
Share 49ersWebzone