There are 202 users in the forums

Is Anthony Davis Going to Play RT or LT as a Rookie?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Davis will play right tackle barring 2 events...

1) Staley is hurt.
2) Davis comes out of the gate like the second coming of Anthony Munoz.

Neither of those is likely, so I'd say we hope he learns fast and plays well enough to start at RT in week 1.

Most Rookie OTs drafted as high as Davis start at LT as rookies, period -- even on good teams. No sense in confusing them by making them play RT for a couple of years.

Most LTs taken that high in the draft don't already have a good LT on the roster.

Or you could be like the Kansas City Chiefs (Branden Albert) and Jacksonville Jaguars (Eugene Monroe) and start a tackle earlier than you should.

If Davis is ready to start at Left Tackle by week one, he'll start at left tackle.

How long did it take Michael Crabtree to start at Flanker?
  • TheCancerMan
  • Info N/A
1) Most teams that draft tackles that high have nothing at LT, we already have a solid LT, so we don't have to stick Davis in at LT right away.

2) Your assumption that sticking him in at LT right away is going to make him better down the line is not necessarily correct. There's no evidence to support that assumption, and there's really no evidence to support the contrary either.

I haven't been on this board very long, but I have to ask, is complaining all you do?
Originally posted by NinerGM:

1) Staley is hurt.

Neither of those is likely, so I'd say we hope he learns fast and plays well enough to start at RT in week 1.

Most Rookie OTs drafted as high as Davis start at LT as rookies, period -- even on good teams. No sense in confusing them by making them play RT for a couple of years.

LOL!!!! This is the most hilarious thing I've read yet! What is this based on?

Did you see my initial post??? 12 rookies taken in the top 15 since 2004 (excluding this year, 2010). Of those, only 4 played on the right side. And as someone pointed out earlier, Levi Brown played RT for a lefty, so he doesn't count. So its really like 75%.

Of the 12 how many started day one and how successful were those offenses. My comment, the reason why I edited it, wasn't because I didn't read your post, but because the statistical correlation says NOTHING about opposing offensive team's performance (previous and current year). There's a reason why NFL head coaches would prefer NOT to have a rookie starting at LT if they can avoid it. If you're taking a LT high, in the top 15, it's probably because you have a crappy team.

2004 - Robert Gallery - Raiders
2005 - Jamal Brown (Jim Hasletts 3-13 Saints)
2006 - Fergueson - (8-8 New York Jets)
2007 - Joe Thomas - Cleveland
2008 - Jake Long - Miami
2009 - Jason Smith - Rams

Of that group, Andrews was drafted by Philadelphia 16 in 2004, but he didn't start. Philly was a good team so they didn't need to start that player.

As far as this team is concerned, they won't start Davis at LT. This would totally make the re-signing of Sims a waste. Even if Davis has an exceptional camp, he still won't start at LT. A 20 yo rookie who by all accounts needs to develop will not be entrusted to block for Smith's blind side and expect the offense to be consistent.

We can't be an run-only offense this season (again). The team has to achieve some consistency in their pass-blocking and protection calls. That's something that comes through experience playing at an NFL level.

Just my opinion.

O-lines also gel -- so why not put Davis at LT NOW and let the line get some cohesion...if he proves it in camp.
Originally posted by TheCancerMan:
1) Most teams that draft tackles that high have nothing at LT, we already have a solid LT, so we don't have to stick Davis in at LT right away.

2) Your assumption that sticking him in at LT right away is going to make him better down the line is not necessarily correct. There's no evidence to support that assumption, and there's really no evidence to support the contrary either.

I haven't been on this board very long, but I have to ask, is complaining all you do?

This thread wasn't a complaint...it was a question on whether Davis will play LT or RT. Most OTs drafted as high as Davis play LT...will he?
Originally posted by redrathman:

1) Staley is hurt.

Most LTs taken that high in the draft don't already have a good LT on the roster.

Or you could be like the Kansas City Chiefs (Branden Albert) and Jacksonville Jaguars (Eugene Monroe) and start a tackle earlier than you should.

If Davis is ready to start at Left Tackle by week one, he'll start at left tackle.

How long did it take Michael Crabtree to start at Flanker?

The CHiefs KNEW it would take time for Albert to get good, since he was a converted guard.

Don't know enough about Monroe.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

This thread wasn't a complaint...it was a question on whether Davis will play LT or RT. Most OTs drafted as high as Davis play LT...will he?

Why make a thread when you can read what the coach said.

No.

Nick, Sing has stated that Davis will compete at Rt with Snyder and that Iupati will compete with Bas at LG. Why is that hard for you to understand

1) Staley is hurt.

Bingo.

Is there ANY good reason for a rookie to start at LT when we have our own average LT starting already? It just doesn't make any sense.

-9fA
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by valrod33:
He will be a RT. Sing has stated the he will compete at RT with Snyder.

END THREAD

he wont be the LT because you NEVER start a rookie at LT. we paid big money to Joe Staley to protect Smith's weak side.

Since 2004, 2/3rds of rookie OTs drafted in the Top 15 started at LT. Your statement is simply false.

Let's actually look at those selections:

Robert Gallery (OAK) - Pick #2 - 15 Games Started at Right Tackle

Jammal Brown (NO) - Pick #13 - 13 Games Started at Left Tackle

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (NYJ) - Pick #4 - 16 Games Started at Left Tackle

Joe Thomas (CLE) - Pick #3 - 16 Games Started at Left Tackle
Levi Brown (ARI) - Pick #5 - 11 Games Started at Right Tackle

Jake Long (MIA) - Pick #1 - 16 Games Started at Left Tackle
Ryan Clady (DEN) - Pick #12 - 16 Games Started at Left Tackle
Branden Albert - Pick #15 - 15 Games Started at Left Tackle

Jason Smith (STL) - Pick #2 - 5 Games Started at Right Tackle
Andre Smith (CIN) - Pick #6 - 1 Game Started at Right Tackle
Eugene Monroe (JAX) - Pick #8 - 13 Games Started at Left Tackle

For the record, that's 11 total offensive tackles taken in the top 15 picks of the NFL Draft. Of those 11 tackles, 4 started predominantly at Right Tackle (which amounts to 62.5%).

Some rookies excel immediately (D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Joe Thomas, Jake Long and Ryan Clady), while others don't. Of the tackles that have had success, only Clady was picked outside of the top ten.

You forgot Chris Williams in 2008..started 1/2 of the season, played LT. Jammal Brown is a very good LT as well.

My point is that MOST OTs drafted that high play LT...2/3rds when you include Williams. And Levi Brown played RT for a lefty -- so its really 75%. So, of the three remaining that played RT, Gallery is a bust at OT (good OG though), Andre Smith will probably be a bust, and Jason Smith is switching to LT for this season.

My apologies about not including Williams, except he didn't start at all during his rookie season, and thus the statistics still stand (because we're talking about rookie seasons and starts).

Levi Brown was still on the right side when Kurt Warner was with the Cardinals. Brown's rookie season was primarily spent blocking for Warner, not Leinhart.

Originally posted by Yoda_I_Be:
I think if Iupati is put at LG, then Davis will work primarily on the right side. They already said they didn't want to put two rookies side by side on the line.

Plus I like Staley, I think he is a very solid LT right now and he will only get better.

This

1) Staley is hurt.

Did you see my initial post??? 12 rookies taken in the top 15 since 2004 (excluding this year, 2010). Of those, only 4 played on the right side. And as someone pointed out earlier, Levi Brown played RT for a lefty, so he doesn't count. So its really like 75%.

Of the 12 how many started day one and how successful were those offenses. My comment, the reason why I edited it, wasn't because I didn't read your post, but because the statistical correlation says NOTHING about opposing offensive team's performance (previous and current year). There's a reason why NFL head coaches would prefer NOT to have a rookie starting at LT if they can avoid it. If you're taking a LT high, in the top 15, it's probably because you have a crappy team.

2008 - Jake Long - Miami

Of that group, Andrews was drafted by Philadelphia 16 in 2004, but he didn't start. Philly was a good team so they didn't need to start that player.

As far as this team is concerned, they won't start Davis at LT. This would totally make the re-signing of Sims a waste. Even if Davis has an exceptional camp, he still won't start at LT. A 20 yo rookie who by all accounts needs to develop will not be entrusted to block for Smith's blind side and expect the offense to be consistent.

We can't be an run-only offense this season (again). The team has to achieve some consistency in their pass-blocking and protection calls. That's something that comes through experience playing at an NFL level.

Just my opinion.

O-lines also gel -- so why not put Davis at LT NOW and let the line get some cohesion...if he proves it in camp.

Yes, OLs do gel... and you actually bring up a good point about a configuration I would prefer:

Sims - Iupati - Heitman - Rachal/Baas/Snyder battle - Staley

Why? Because this puts our best players on the field.

The problem with putting a rook at LT is that you'll pitting him against the opposing teams best pass-rusher. Maybe it's me but I don't think Davis is quite ready for that, despite what happens in camp. He can get better quickly but how many games are you willing to sacrifice early for a team who hopes to win the West (only way we get to the playoffs). I highly doubt there will be a wild card team from the NFC West this season.

Staley - Iupati - Heitmann - Rachal - Davis

Sims, Snyder, Baas as backups.

Case closed.
  • TheCancerMan
  • Info N/A

Coach Singletary had already stated that he won't, at least not this season. Do you not believe him?

1) Staley is hurt.

2008 - Jake Long - Miami

Just my opinion.

Yes, OLs do gel... and you actually bring up a good point about a configuration I would prefer:

The problem with putting a rook at LT is that you'll pitting him against the opposing teams best pass-rusher. Maybe it's me but I don't think Davis is quite ready for that, despite what happens in camp. He can get better quickly but how many games are you willing to sacrifice early for a team who hopes to win the West (only way we get to the playoffs). I highly doubt there will be a wild card team from the NFC West this season.

Case closed.

Doubt Davis starts at RT this season ... but that's just my opinion. He'll compete but doubt he'll start.

why wouldn't he start?

i really don't understand this thread. RT was the weak link on the Ol last season. The team prioritized it so much they traded up to get Davis...and people think he's not going to start at all? Or that he's going to start at LT?

I just don't get it. I can't believe this thread has gotten 5 pages when every indication from the team--not only their actions but what they've SAID for crying out loud--indicates that Davis will play RT this season.

[ Edited by HessianDud on Apr 26, 2010 at 15:41:54 ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:

1) Staley is hurt.

2008 - Jake Long - Miami

Just my opinion.

Case closed.

Doubt Davis starts at RT this season ... but that's just my opinion. He'll compete but doubt he'll start.

why wouldn't he start?

i really don't understand this thread. RT was the weak link on the Ol last season. The team prioritized it so much they traded up to get Davis...and people think he's not going to start at all? Or that he's going to start at LT?

I just don't get it. I can't believe this thread has gotten 5 pages when every indication from the team--not only their actions but what they've SAID for crying out loud--indicates that Davis will play RT this season.

Yep I 110% agree. It is obvious as night and day. Barring some miracle surge by Snyder, Davis will be starting at RT week 1. Imo the same could be said for Iupati. He may hold, but he is less inclined to allow a sack then Baas, again imo. I really really do not like Baas.
Share 49ersWebzone