LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Is Anthony Davis Going to Play RT or LT as a Rookie?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He will be our LT for years to come, But not this year.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by valrod33:
He will be a RT. Sing has stated the he will compete at RT with Snyder.

END THREAD
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Levi Brown is mediocre. He gives up an average of 9 sacks per year.

Joe Staley, by comparison only gives up around 6-7 sacks per year, and has many fewer false starts.

[ Edited by crzy on Apr 26, 2010 at 13:50:47 ]
Originally posted by crzy:

Joe Staley, by comparison only gives up around 6-7 sacks per year, and has many fewer false starts.

Agree. But are Staley's #s accurate? He is the strong point of our offensive line, so people attack elsewhere.

Brown is somewhat of a weak link, so they target him.

[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 26, 2010 at 14:19:10 ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Agree. But are Staley's #s accurate? He is the strong point of our defense, so people attack elsewhere.

Are you a Cardinals fan undercover?
Your logic is wrong.
When someone is a strong point it means that he forces opponents elsewhere to find a weak link. Essentially he is neutralizing opponents while Brown is not.

Staley is now widley considered to be the second best OT of his generation. Behind Joe Thomas. And Staley was picked late in the first.

Agree. But are Staley's #s accurate? He is the strong point of our defense, so people attack elsewhere.

Davis will play right tackle barring 2 events...

1) Staley is hurt.
2) Davis comes out of the gate like the second coming of Anthony Munoz.

Neither of those is likely, so I'd say we hope he learns fast and plays well enough to start at RT in week 1.
Originally posted by Ibleedgoldnred:

'defense' should be 'offensive line' -- evertry to do too many things on the computer at once?
Originally posted by JeuSF49:

Your logic is wrong.
When someone is a strong point it means that he forces opponents elsewhere to find a weak link. Essentially he is neutralizing opponents while Brown is not.

Staley is now widley considered to be the second best OT of his generation. Behind Joe Thomas. And Staley was picked late in the first.

Sorry, I had a 'typo' in my previous post, let me re-phrase:

1. since Staley is our best o-lineman, they apply pressure towards other linemen -- our weak spots. As a result, his sacks allowed #s may be artificially low

2. Brown is not their best o-lineman, so he is 'targeted'...and gives up more sacks.

Why do you imply that I'm a Cards fan because I don't think Staley is the greatest lineman? Brown sucks, Staley is above-average.

But a guy drafted at #11, a guy who would have went Top 5 if not for personality issues, has long-term LT written all over him.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Davis will play right tackle barring 2 events...

1) Staley is hurt.
2) Davis comes out of the gate like the second coming of Anthony Munoz.

Neither of those is likely, so I'd say we hope he learns fast and plays well enough to start at RT in week 1.

Most Rookie OTs drafted as high as Davis start at LT as rookies, period -- even on good teams. No sense in confusing them by making them play RT for a couple of years.

RT as a rookie; eventual starter at LT (IMO) down the road.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Probably, but why not just put him in @ LT from the get-go so he's better down the line. Historically, OTs drafted this high go straight to LT.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Probably, but why not just put him in @ LT from the get-go so he's better down the line. Historically, OTs drafted this high go straight to LT.

I agree and if I was the coach, I'd put Davis at LT and move Staley to RT (which will likely happen eventually). Unfortunately, just as Alex Smith is penciled in as the starter at QB, Staley is the starter at LT and will need to falter before a change is made.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JeuSF49:

Your logic is wrong.

Sorry, I had a 'typo' in my previous post, let me re-phrase:

1. since Staley is our best o-lineman, they apply pressure towards other linemen -- our weak spots. As a result, his sacks allowed #s may be artificially low

2. Brown is not their best o-lineman, so he is 'targeted'...and gives up more sacks.

Why do you imply that I'm a Cards fan because I don't think Staley is the greatest lineman? Brown sucks, Staley is above-average.

But a guy drafted at #11, a guy who would have went Top 5 if not for personality issues, has long-term LT written all over him.

LT or RT got to let things play out. Just be glad we have him on the team for the next 12-14 years.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 26, 2010 at 14:35:46 ]
We're going to be investing more money in Anthony Davis. I say put him at RT his rookie year and then move him to the left side the following year.
Share 49ersWebzone