There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Anthony Davis Going to Play RT or LT as a Rookie?

We all assume that Anthony Davis is going to get plugged in at RT as a rookie, but is that necesarily the case?

If he's eventually destined for the left side, why not start him there as a rookie?

tackles picked as high as Davis usually go straight to LT. Of the 12 offensive tackles taken in the top 15 since 2004, only 4 played on the right side -- the rest played on the left side. One of those is Levi Brown, probably the highest-picked tackle that was projected to only play on the right side (Andre Smith may be in that category as well).

Of note, the Packers are going to put Bulaga at LT as a rookie, even though he may not start. According to Packers Head Coach McCarthy:

"Bryan will line up at left tackle. He'll line up right there behind Chad Clifton with Allen Barbre and he will take those reps. It's very important for him to train and be a left tackle."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/2010/04/mike-mccarthys-take-on-his-team.html

My point is that if you plan on playing a high-picked OT at left tackle eventually, you're probably better off sticking him at LT from day one. No sense in retarding his development by making him play as a road-grader for a year or two.

Thoughts?
should put him on the left imo, dont want a robert gallery happen to us
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He'll be at RT, unless Staley suddenly starts to struggle then they might make the switch. He can play either position, the safe money is to start him at RT to start his career then see how things play out.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 26, 2010 at 12:59:46 ]
depends on him. they always said if someone better than Joe then they move him.

[ Edited by brucesf49 on Apr 26, 2010 at 13:01:05 ]
He will be a RT. Sing has stated the he will compete at RT with Snyder.

END THREAD
Originally posted by valrod33:

END THREAD
I think if Iupati is put at LG, then Davis will work primarily on the right side. They already said they didn't want to put two rookies side by side on the line.

Plus I like Staley, I think he is a very solid LT right now and he will only get better.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

END THREAD

he wont be the LT because you NEVER start a rookie at LT. we paid big money to Joe Staley to protect Smith's weak side.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

We all assume that Anthony Davis is going to get plugged in at RT as a rookie, but is that necesarily the case?

If he's eventually destined for the left side, why not start him there as a rookie?

tackles picked as high as Davis usually go straight to LT. Of the 12 offensive tackles taken in the top 15 since 2004, only 4 played on the right side -- the rest played on the left side. One of those is Levi Brown, probably the highest-picked tackle that was projected to only play on the right side (Andre Smith may be in that category as well).

Of note, the Packers are going to put Bulaga at LT as a rookie, even though he may not start. According to Packers Head Coach McCarthy:

"Bryan will line up at left tackle. He'll line up right there behind Chad Clifton with Allen Barbre and he will take those reps. It's very important for him to train and be a left tackle."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/2010/04/mike-mccarthys-take-on-his-team.html

My point is that if you plan on playing a high-picked OT at left tackle eventually, you're probably better off sticking him at LT from day one. No sense in retarding his development by making him play as a road-grader for a year or two.

Thoughts?

when the cards took levi brown at #5 they were still thinking matt leniart was their qb at that time and he is left handed so brown at RT was to protect leinarts blind side, ironically now with leinart back at qb i believe i read brown is switching to LT this year

END THREAD

Yes. "Compete at RT with Snyder."
They don't make sarcastic comments strong enough to follow that statement.

END THREAD
Speaking of Levi Brown, has he lived up to his draft status?
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Speaking of Levi Brown, has he lived up to his draft status?

haralson abused him week 1 in arizona last year
Originally posted by Niners99:

END THREAD

he wont be the LT because you NEVER start a rookie at LT. we paid big money to Joe Staley to protect Smith's weak side.

Since 2004, 2/3rds of rookie OTs drafted in the Top 15 started at LT. Your statement is simply false.
Originally posted by Niners99:

END THREAD

Maybe someone knows this but is Staley making LT money now.. He was picked up near the end of the 1st so there is no way his rookie contract would had been more than Davis will get. He signed that multi year extention though so is he making more or less than Davis will? I dont know too many teams whose RT make more than there LT