LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

NJNINER's opinion on offseason so far

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hello Niners fans... Im a huge 49ers fan from nj and i have been all my life!
I am writting this 3 days after the nfl draft.. I went on youtube.com and looked up all the players we selected
and watched there highlights...And here is my opnion on our draft...

Our Free Agent additions

Travis Laboy: Will help out our pass rush definatly, with his signing we didnt have to take a prospect in the draft.. but i would have liked Sapp from clemson cuz of lawsons contract situation...

David Carr: He is better that hill for this system plus he will keep smith on his toes!!

49ers' draft picks
Rd Sel. # Player Pos. School
1 11 Anthony Davis OT Rutgers : I feel anthony davis is going to lock down the rightside of our offensive line for this year!
I also feel that he could flop with staley to the leftside because of the fact he is so damn athletic. I went to 5 rutgers games
over the last 2 years and boy is he dominating in the run game.. on the other hand he is hard to beat in his pass set only giving up
2 sacks.. i dont think we needed to trade up for him.. But i am glad we have him on our offensive line. I noticed at some of the
games if the play was away from him he would take a play off or two. That wont be accepted with Solari and Brown..They must make
him stay focus!!!

Grade A- based on value and potential and game film

1 17 Mike Iupati G Idaho: When i heard the pick i was in a little shock! I def thought maybe WIslon from boisie st to play corner
or maybe even jimmy clausen..But i thought about it and i saidthis is what we need! I think he will turn out to be a kevin gogan type
player that we once had! BIG AND PHYSICAL!!! I am a little nervious about his pass protection and how he sometimes he hugs
d lineman but im sure ray brown is happy and
will make him into a solid starter for years to come!

Grade A- Based on value and potential and game film

2 49 Taylor Mays FS Southern California: What a score with the selection of taylor mays!!! being that USC is USC they were on tv
alot.. And i always noticed when they were playing that he was at least 10-15 yards deep in center field....Obviously cuz of his
speed.. but thanks to youtube i was watching his highlights and obviously there were NO low lights but he closes in on the ball so
fast and really packs a punch.. I personaly love the selection.. but there are people out there who question it.. He is a presence
in out secondary that we havent had since you know who!! i think he will turn out like adrian wilson from arizona, but better
because of all the ground he can cover..One thing though he must wrap up instead of throwing just the shoulder!

Grade A Based on value, potential, game film and selected in the 2nd round

3 91 Navorro Bowman LB Penn State: I was in shock with this pick i def tought it was gonna be ricky sapp olb from clemson or
perish cox from osu.. When they selected him i read my books and looked for film on the internet and i noticed that he covers
alot of ground and he was involved with alot of tackles..Then when i noticed the look and excitment of singltarys face when he
met the media explaing the pick i was like this guy must be something special..Kiper says he is to small to play a 3-4 i dont
agree he is 6-0/242.. Patrick willis is 6-2/242.. To small huh MEL!

Grade B- Based on potential , game film, and Mikes reaction!

6 173 Anthony Dixon RB Mississippi State : thanks to you tube i noticed that this guy was thwe whole offense with miss. st
I watched highlights from the florida game and LSU game.. In the florida game in several occasions he dragged/ran over florida
defenders.. In the LSU game he did the same.. He can also catch passes out of the backfield as well as pick up the blitz ok..
Another thing i noticed he ran out of the shot gun as well.. Thats a plus in Raye's system!

Grade B+ Based on game film, potential, and selected in the sixth round

6 182 Nate Byham TE Pittsburgh: This pick was another intresting one in my opinion a slight reach just for a blocker TE.
But it was a major hole in our offense last year that made us struggle in the run game. He also can catch some passes but is
not compared to davis or walker in the recieving dept.. I thought he could have waited till the 7th.he will make our running
better though. so im glad we got him..

Grade B- Based on film, potential, and were selected in the sixth round.

6 206 Kyle Williams WR Arizona State : In my opinion i feel we have a possible steel with williams.. I watched his highlights
at ASU and boy is he explosive and he attacks the ball meaning he goes and get it. He is an ok route runner something sullivan wil
work with but boy can he move..His best fit is the slot.. He has strong hands and can flat out fly! He will be in my opinion
an excellent addition to this offense.. He will give GINN a run for his money for time in the 3 or 4 wide sets...Also is a good
return man!

Grade A Based on film, potential and selected in the sixth round!!!

7 224 Phillip Adams DB South Carolina State: I dont have to much on him as far as video.. But from what i read he is a typical
49ers cb.. he will excel in press coverage and is agreat tackler!!!! Adams is also known as a very confident corner and also
doubles as a KR..

UDFA's Notiables
Leroy Vann KR: Speed wow very explosive.. He will make this roster...
Shay Hodge WR:
Jarett brown QB:

We still need a corner back! i would like to resign bly or harris to compete.. also watch the waiver wire after june for a corner...

Again this is just my opinion.. Please be easy on me!! but let me know what you guys think!!
NJ:
Thank you for the feedback. It is always good to read someone elses opinions of our draft. I hope all of our picks play a significant role in our team this year. It will be interesting to see it all play out.
We were able to secure 4 new starters
A.Davis RT (eventually LT)
M.Iupati LG
T.Ginn Jr PR/KR
T.Mays SS

All at positions of need. = Great offseason!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Good analysis, I agree with alot of your opinions with the exception of Bowman. At 6'1" 242 (the same size as Takeo) he will be a surprise and will take over for Takeo by next year. I think he is that special. Good overall job.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Good analysis, I agree with alot of your opinions with the exception of Bowman. At 6'1" 242 (the same size as Takeo) he will be a surprise and will take over for Takeo by next year. I think he is that special. Good overall job.

Mayo;
Do you have any materials on Bowman that I can read up on? It would be nice if he could do as well as Spikes and maybe even a little better.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Mayo;
Do you have any materials on Bowman that I can read up on? It would be nice if he could do as well as Spikes and maybe even a little better.

I'll see what I can find. Give me a bit.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Here' some articles and highlights of him. Enjoy.

Navarro Bowman YouTube Highlights

Navarro Bowman Profile

Navarro Bowman wikipedia

Navarro Bowman Articles

[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 26, 2010 at 14:25:32 ]

Wow, that is good news to hear. I haved really loved this offseason & draft & am pumped for the season to get started!
NJNINER? Hmmm.... somehow that name just rings a bell. Don't know why.
Member Milestone: This is post number 3,000 for NJNiner.
Tell me Tony G-man, in what part of Jersey do you live? This is getting wierd. My middle name is Anthony and my last name starts with a G.

NJniner499, you write like you're twelve years old. Calm down on the caps and exclamation points, you made some good points but it was annoying to read.
Where in Jersey are you guys from? Jersey Shore representing!!!

He just needs to bulk up a little bit.
Share 49ersWebzone