Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Nice to see all the classy posters we have here in the zone.

Seriously, a lot of people don't grasp the fact that every writer has his or her own individual style/method to their madness.

A lot of Webzoners have grown so used to Maiocco that it's become adjacent to that 'golden' ex-girlfriend 'thing'. -Where you stack up/compare every future b***h to the last great one you had (but you'll never entirely get her back; so you just gotta dig deep, accept it, move on, and evolve).

In my opinion Phil Barber is a cool dude, and he's fulfilling the entire premise/value of the 'title' "Instant 49ers", thus far. -Not to mention this guy knows his s**t (history, play-calling, talent evaluations), and he's written/assembled a small handful of NFL books (I've read his Vincent Lombardi diagram book, and Phil's analysis/rapport is outstanding.)

he don't know s**t

No one will read Barber after Maiocco launches his CSN Bay Area Website tomorrow. I feel bad for the guy. He had one week to try his hardest to get people to follow him.

Yea. I was gone for most of the weekend so I read alot of Barbers stuff. Nothing like MM and he lost my interest in his blogs pretty quickly. Ill be hoping right on with both Matts like I used to.

Ill only read Barbers blog as I do with Kevin Lynch...as a backup when everything else is slowwwww.
I refuse to read anything by Phil barber because his name is stupid
lol at this thread.
Hey, we're NOT "Whiners" fans... why would you even say that?

I mean... oh, this thread? Well, yeah, I guess.

Um, never mind...

*sigh*

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Phil treats his blog like Twitter.

I mean he will literally type 3 sentences and post or he'll post a link to another article. That's not how MM did it. Anytime Matt would post in his blog, it would at the very least be a paragraph.

Sometimes you have to find those gems and keep digging even when there is "no news". You have to find it dude.

Not impressed with Barber at all thus far.

ide agree with the twitter reference

that said, i'll read em in the order of who gets the news out there first
Originally posted by davidb:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I like Phil Barber, but does he really need to TWITTER play-by-play of guys that have no shot of making the team?

1. This camp is a rookie/UDFA mini camp and FA tryout and so who else would you expect him to TWITTER about?

2. You call the players at this camp "guys that have no shot of making the team". That statement ignores that the draft choices WILL all probably make the team. It also ignores that some of the UDFA's might make the team. And finally for the guys who are there for a "try-out", this is their "shot" to make the team.

Just because one obtains information does not mean all said information is therefore relevant.

I don't need info on Jarrett Brown play at quarterback. It's irrelevant. He's not making the team.
I do not like this guy's writing style at all. He tries to be to fancy and cute instead of giving us good, solid football info. His mini camp reports confused me and made think Jarrett Brown was the only QB taking snaps? Really, really not impressed with this guy.

I mean he will literally type 3 sentences and post or he'll post a link to another article. That's not how MM did it. Anytime Matt would post in his blog, it would at the very least be a paragraph.

Sometimes you have to find those gems and keep digging even when there is "no news". You have to find it dude.

His handle is "Skinny Post." Get it?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

His handle is "Skinny Post." Get it?

ROFL!!! You know I was thinking that too but also think "surely, you can't be serious!" (someone please come back with the Airplane! reference).

He is serious, and don't call him Shirley.
"Plummer giddy about Willis", "Alex Boone's Secret", "Jeff Stover's whereabouts" "LaBoy on Willis"

I really dislike this guy.

I don't dislike Barber but his blogs are pretty useless IMO. He's has a couple good ones but mostly it seems like he's trying too hard. Nice to have Maiocco's material to read.
Meh. I 've been referring to him as Sir Links-a-lot. Tryna be but can't and just "middle-man"-ing news. He should have some sort of sidebar on his blog for that.
Originally posted by TenderLoinTimmy:
Meh. I 've been referring to him as Sir Links-a-lot. Tryna be but can't and just "middle-man"-ing news. He should have some sort of sidebar on his blog for that.

yep... he doesn't say much, just provides a headline and some links. I haven't found him to be informative at all.
We'll have to give him some time...we were all pretty spoiled w/MM. He won't be the same, but maybe in time he'll develop a style and reporting ethic we can relate to. None of us are great when we first start out...so, I'd advise we give the guy a chance to get settled in the seat...he's got some big shoes to fill.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I don't care who writes them, just give facts. Opinions are worthless.

This. ^^^

From what I have read from PB, I am not very fond of his writing stlye. MM was much more informative, and being a Niner fan in TX his reports along with the webzone threads/articles helped me keep up with the latest news.

I don't hate the guy for covering the raiders as it was his job, but losing the best Niner writer in MM has been tough.
Share 49ersWebzone