There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sing's Formula for Success

Originally posted by NattoNiner:
Icing on cake is only sweeter when there's actual cake.

Sing may bring smash mouth type football, but he he doesn't have the smarts to conjure up intelligent plays.

It doesn't matter, after this season Sing will be removed as HC and someone with actual scheming experience will take over. It should have been Shanahan, and now I hope it's Gruden.

2 years ago you had to be able to run the ball to win, now you have to be able to pass? Either way works, you just have to do what you do successfully. I remember plenty of times when the high flying colts or the old school chiefs with holmes and green sputtered out of the playoffs.

How did Big Ben win his championships? who did he beat to win them, Cards and Seahawks offenses weren't smashmouth.. the steelers were.

Football is cyclical... get over it. Its all about which team executes their plan more effectively and both ways have been proven to work.
  • LJPunk5218
  • Info N/A
Everyone better get on the Singletary banwagon or get ran over by it. Because that's what this team will do to you.
Originally posted by LJPunk5218:
Everyone better get on the Singletary banwagon or get ran over by it. Because that's what this team will do to you.

Yeah, in wheelchairs and crutches.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
hit em in the mouth!

This one will never get old.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by crzy:
It's too bad it's not 1985, otherwise we might be a Super Bowl contender.

But in 2010, you have to be able to pass the football to win championships.

I couldn't disagree more.

We have the right strategy for the talent we have. Smith might be servicable, but he's no Joe (and I mean Flacco). Now if we had Matty Ice or Breeze i would agree with you 100 percent, but we dont. So the next best strategy is tough defense and a ball control offense. Thats how you beat high flying teams like the Colts and Saints. Yes this strategy will make for a few more nail bitters than we like, but until we find that "Franchise QB" its the right move.

P.S. I see us becoming the JETS west and last I checked they are serious SB contenders.

Did you know Smith actually played better than "Matty Ice" last year?

Why, because Smith had an 81 passer rating and Ryan had an 80...LOL. Give me a f**kin break. You are dillusional if you think Smith has proven to be as good as Matt Ryan. I'll tell you something Matt has that Smith doesn't, an 11 win season capped off with a playoff appearance his rookie year. But we dont even have to go that far. He had 9 wins last season, which is also something Smith has never accomplished. What's that, a winning record you say? Yeah, I know. We dont get that around here. Matt also didn't lose must win games against the likes of the Sea Chickens last year (To take the division) or look completly lack luster versus the Lions and the Rams when it was time for him to prove he belonged. So save it for your girlfriend. Thanks for your 2 cents though.

P.S. I was't really trying to bash Smith. My point was he hasn't proven he can be that guy that carries the team on his shoulders yet. I still have hopes he will become an above average QB.

Last time I checked man, it was a team sport. You try to put too much blame on one player when it takes more than one player to make a play. What you are not getting is that this is a team sport, they win as a team, they lose as a team. You can try to pin losses completely on one players shoulder, but 90% of the time it is much more than just that. This team had more holes in it last year than Atlanta did and a worse offensive line to boot. As far as my two cents, I was only trying to help you understand reality, feel free to ignore me...
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by crzy:
It's too bad it's not 1985, otherwise we might be a Super Bowl contender.

But in 2010, you have to be able to pass the football to win championships.

I couldn't disagree more.

We have the right strategy for the talent we have. Smith might be servicable, but he's no Joe (and I mean Flacco). Now if we had Matty Ice or Breeze i would agree with you 100 percent, but we dont. So the next best strategy is tough defense and a ball control offense. Thats how you beat high flying teams like the Colts and Saints. Yes this strategy will make for a few more nail bitters than we like, but until we find that "Franchise QB" its the right move.

P.S. I see us becoming the JETS west and last I checked they are serious SB contenders.

Did you know Smith actually played better than "Matty Ice" last year?

Why, because Smith had an 81 passer rating and Ryan had an 80...LOL. Give me a f**kin break. You are dillusional if you think Smith has proven to be as good as Matt Ryan. I'll tell you something Matt has that Smith doesn't, an 11 win season capped off with a playoff appearance his rookie year. But we dont even have to go that far. He had 9 wins last season, which is also something Smith has never accomplished. What's that, a winning record you say? Yeah, I know. We dont get that around here. Matt also didn't lose must win games against the likes of the Sea Chickens last year (To take the division) or look completly lack luster versus the Lions and the Rams when it was time for him to prove he belonged. So save it for your girlfriend. Thanks for your 2 cents though.

P.S. I was't really trying to bash Smith. My point was he hasn't proven he can be that guy that carries the team on his shoulders yet. I still have hopes he will become an above average QB.

Last time I checked man, it was a team sport. You try to put too much blame on one player when it takes more than one player to make a play. What you are not getting is that this is a team sport, they win as a team, they lose as a team. You can try to pin losses completely on one players shoulder, but 90% of the time it is much more than just that. This team had more holes in it last year than Atlanta did and a worse offensive line to boot. As far as my two cents, I was only trying to help you understand reality, feel free to ignore me...

So, is Arizona better or worse without Kurt Warner? Seems like that's the consensus around these parts.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by crzy:
It's too bad it's not 1985, otherwise we might be a Super Bowl contender.

But in 2010, you have to be able to pass the football to win championships.

I couldn't disagree more.

We have the right strategy for the talent we have. Smith might be servicable, but he's no Joe (and I mean Flacco). Now if we had Matty Ice or Breeze i would agree with you 100 percent, but we dont. So the next best strategy is tough defense and a ball control offense. Thats how you beat high flying teams like the Colts and Saints. Yes this strategy will make for a few more nail bitters than we like, but until we find that "Franchise QB" its the right move.

P.S. I see us becoming the JETS west and last I checked they are serious SB contenders.

Did you know Smith actually played better than "Matty Ice" last year?

Why, because Smith had an 81 passer rating and Ryan had an 80...LOL. Give me a f**kin break. You are dillusional if you think Smith has proven to be as good as Matt Ryan. I'll tell you something Matt has that Smith doesn't, an 11 win season capped off with a playoff appearance his rookie year. But we dont even have to go that far. He had 9 wins last season, which is also something Smith has never accomplished. What's that, a winning record you say? Yeah, I know. We dont get that around here. Matt also didn't lose must win games against the likes of the Sea Chickens last year (To take the division) or look completly lack luster versus the Lions and the Rams when it was time for him to prove he belonged. So save it for your girlfriend. Thanks for your 2 cents though.

P.S. I was't really trying to bash Smith. My point was he hasn't proven he can be that guy that carries the team on his shoulders yet. I still have hopes he will become an above average QB.

Last time I checked man, it was a team sport. You try to put too much blame on one player when it takes more than one player to make a play. What you are not getting is that this is a team sport, they win as a team, they lose as a team. You can try to pin losses completely on one players shoulder, but 90% of the time it is much more than just that. This team had more holes in it last year than Atlanta did and a worse offensive line to boot. As far as my two cents, I was only trying to help you understand reality, feel free to ignore me...

Ok, so my post was a little aggressive. My bad. It was 12am and I was kind of in a bad mood because I couldn't sleep. I apologize.

With that said, I'm not going to get in a debate with you about Matt Ryan vs. Alex Smith. However, I'm pretty sure if you polled the majority of NFL Scouts and people "in the know" they would take Ryan over Smith.

I like Smith, as a person and a player, but lets face it, he has a lot to prove. If he didn't he wouldn't be in a lame duck contract right now. My personal opinion is that given the right situation (stability) and the right scheme he can shine. But he is not a very good instinctual football player. Seriously, the guy had one the worst rookie seasons of all time. That is a fact.


P.S. Yes football is a team sport and Ryan may have a better team, but he also isn't sittin in the NFC WEST.... The o line excuse only goes so far. Wasn't Aaron Rogers one of the most sacked QBs last year, but still managed to throw for 4000 yards? My point, a good qb makes his recievers and Oline better by finding the open man quickly, making the hot reads and recognizing defenses. Yeah, yeah, I know Rogers got to sit behind Farv and learn how to play in one scheme.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Apr 28, 2010 at 15:20:01 ]
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
hit em in the mouth!

And if they get back up

Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
hit em in the mouth!

again and again and . . . . . .
Originally posted by fan49:
The webzone is full of haters, saps, and many other things. The one thing I know is that this will be the best team fielded, an actual kr/pr, an oc returning for the first time, best line, and best wr's in years....

When it starts to get good, it seems its not good enough for the webzone and 9ner faithful....


How can you call out all of us webzoners with a statement like that? If you take a closer look, most us are pretty happy with the team we have fielded.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,768
I'm hopinh this "cyclical" pattern in the NFl befits us. Everybody else is going one way and we seem to be one of the few teams going the other. The difference between us and other teams that have tried the smashmouth game is we actually have more talent on offense than most teams did.

Hopefully it works in our favor. Singletary is banking on the essense of the game of football still being toughness, will power and wanting it more then the other guy...we'll see what happens.
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 186
Originally posted by British9er:
Since this thread was about Sing's formula for succcess lets get back to that point.

You can argue about whether we'll be a run orintated offence or a pass happy offence all you like but bottom line is that the team wants to be balanced but the offence showed last year that it will do whatever is necessary to win, (ie go to a more pass first offence) and showed in the draft by drafting too huge Oline man that they want to be able to run the ball better in 2010. Hence the continued use of the word BALANCE

So, back to Sing's formula. Its simple really (and its not just his formula but the philosophy of McNolan, McLoughlan and Trenty): ready.....well his formula is

Big, physical, fast, strong football players with a proven track record at college or in the NFL, with a hunger for playing football (and preferably with something to prove) and someone willing to work hard to improve. Keep adding those players to your roster in all three phases of the game and you'll have his 'formula for success'.

Singletary wants to put a physical team ("with a capital F") on the field that is talented, fast, determined and will fight for every yard on every down. He believes its these type of teams that win consistently. Its not therefore about how many times we run on first down its about imposing your will and desire to win onto the opposition.

Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by NattoNiner:
Icing on cake is only sweeter when there's actual cake.

Sing may bring smash mouth type football, but he he doesn't have the smarts to conjure up intelligent plays.

It doesn't matter, after this season Sing will be removed as HC and someone with actual scheming experience will take over. It should have been Shanahan, and now I hope it's Gruden.

2 years ago you had to be able to run the ball to win, now you have to be able to pass? Either way works, you just have to do what you do successfully. I remember plenty of times when the high flying colts or the old school chiefs with holmes and green sputtered out of the playoffs.

How did Big Ben win his championships? who did he beat to win them, Cards and Seahawks offenses weren't smashmouth.. the steelers were.
Football is cyclical... get over it. Its all about which team executes their plan more effectively and both ways have been proven to work.

You're right about their first championship but wrong on the 2nd. In 2008 the Steelers were more of a passing team then a running team. In fact they only ranked 23rd in rushing. Smashmouth I think not.
Originally posted by Tombo:
Originally posted by British9er:
Since this thread was about Sing's formula for succcess lets get back to that point.

You can argue about whether we'll be a run orintated offence or a pass happy offence all you like but bottom line is that the team wants to be balanced but the offence showed last year that it will do whatever is necessary to win, (ie go to a more pass first offence) and showed in the draft by drafting too huge Oline man that they want to be able to run the ball better in 2010. Hence the continued use of the word BALANCE

So, back to Sing's formula. Its simple really (and its not just his formula but the philosophy of McNolan, McLoughlan and Trenty): ready.....well his formula is

Big, physical, fast, strong football players with a proven track record at college or in the NFL, with a hunger for playing football (and preferably with something to prove) and someone willing to work hard to improve. Keep adding those players to your roster in all three phases of the game and you'll have his 'formula for success'.

Singletary wants to put a physical team ("with a capital F") on the field that is talented, fast, determined and will fight for every yard on every down. He believes its these type of teams that win consistently. Its not therefore about how many times we run on first down its about imposing your will and desire to win onto the opposition.


Isn't that every team's desire? Jesus, people can we put some effort in the posts!!!
*ahem*