There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sing's Formula for Success

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by crabman82:
can someone explain why sing gets raked over the coals for his football philosophy, but rex ryan has the same mentality and rolls out a qb with over 20 int's and they made it to the final 4, that should be evidence enough that this style can win

Exactly my point.

Because Rex Ryan is an elite coordinator and one of the best defensive schemers in the game. With the exception of Darelle Revis his secondary was nothing mroe than journeymen, yet he managed a top NFL pass defense.
Originally posted by m04607:
Originally posted by NattoNiner:
Icing on cake is only sweeter when there's actual cake.

Sing may bring smash mouth type football, but he he doesn't have the smarts to conjure up intelligent plays.

It doesn't matter, after this season Sing will be removed as HC and someone with actual scheming experience will take over. It should have been Shanahan, and now I hope it's Gruden.

What a tool.

Not the sharpest one in the box either...
Originally posted by crzy:
It's too bad it's not 1985, otherwise we might be a Super Bowl contender.

But in 2010, you have to be able to pass the football to win championships.

I couldn't disagree more.

We have the right strategy for the talent we have. Smith might be servicable, but he's no Joe (and I mean Flacco). Now if we had Matty Ice or Breeze i would agree with you 100 percent, but we dont. So the next best strategy is tough defense and a ball control offense. Thats how you beat high flying teams like the Colts and Saints. Yes this strategy will make for a few more nail bitters than we like, but until we find that "Franchise QB" its the right move.

P.S. I see us becoming the JETS west and last I checked they are serious SB contenders.

Did you know Smith actually played better than "Matty Ice" last year?
I think we should try to sign Lawrence Phillips out of prison. Do you think Sing can transform him? How about Rae Carruth or Maurice Clarett? I think Sing can make miracles of them
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

We have the right strategy for the talent we have. Smith might be servicable, but he's no Joe (and I mean Flacco). Now if we had Matty Ice or Breeze i would agree with you 100 percent, but we dont. So the next best strategy is tough defense and a ball control offense. Thats how you beat high flying teams like the Colts and Saints. Yes this strategy will make for a few more nail bitters than we like, but until we find that "Franchise QB" its the right move.

P.S. I see us becoming the JETS west and last I checked they are serious SB contenders.

They dont want to hear that. "Matty Ice" was named by Jaws...so he MUST be an elite QB. Since most that post here are nothing more than ESPN watchers...this is what you get.

What's even more funny is that I see people ragging on Singletary for his "lack" of experience. But those same people were clamoring for Bill Cowher 2 years ago.

**Newsflash**

Bill Cowher was a position coach before he became the Steelers HC. But the Rooney's were patient enough to know that you need stability to survive in this league and if a guy proves himself to be a quick learner and able to get a lot out of his players then you keep him. Which seems to be what York is doing with Singletary.

All these nitwits will be barking up the "Sing is great" tree the moment the 49ers make the playoffs.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
hit em in da mouf!

fixed
Our formula is simple, we hit ya with our mouths!

Why, because Smith had an 81 passer rating and Ryan had an 80...LOL. Give me a f**kin break. You are dillusional if you think Smith has proven to be as good as Matt Ryan. I'll tell you something Matt has that Smith doesn't, an 11 win season capped off with a playoff appearance his rookie year. But we dont even have to go that far. He had 9 wins last season, which is also something Smith has never accomplished. What's that, a winning record you say? Yeah, I know. We dont get that around here. Matt also didn't lose must win games against the likes of the Sea Chickens last year (To take the division) or look completly lack luster versus the Lions and the Rams when it was time for him to prove he belonged. So save it for your girlfriend. Thanks for your 2 cents though.

P.S. I was't really trying to bash Smith. My point was he hasn't proven he can be that guy that carries the team on his shoulders yet. I still have hopes he will become an above average QB.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Apr 28, 2010 at 00:05:42 ]
Originally posted by reasonable1:

They dont want to hear that. "Matty Ice" was named by Jaws...so he MUST be an elite QB. Since most that post here are nothing more than ESPN watchers...this is what you get.

What's even more funny is that I see people ragging on Singletary for his "lack" of experience. But those same people were clamoring for Bill Cowher 2 years ago.

**Newsflash**

Bill Cowher was a position coach before he became the Steelers HC. But the Rooney's were patient enough to know that you need stability to survive in this league and if a guy proves himself to be a quick learner and able to get a lot out of his players then you keep him. Which seems to be what York is doing with Singletary.

All these nitwits will be barking up the "Sing is great" tree the moment the 49ers make the playoffs.

Did I say anything about elite? No. However, would you deny that he is a young and very promising young talent that looks to be a franchise QB?
Breaking faces
Sings formula for success got us to a 8-8 record last year which is the best we've seen in a while.........we would have made the playoffs if not for bad special teams, fluke plays, and an awful O-line.

Now that we have bolstered our line, picked up a solid KR, and had the same OC for the second year in a row, we will really see our team take a step up to the next level.

Not that most you don't know already but the san fransisco forty-niners will be in the playoffs this year. 12-4 baby!!!

Why, because Smith had an 81 passer rating and Ryan had an 80...LOL. Give me a f**kin break. You are dillusional if you think Smith has proven to be as good as Matt Ryan. I'll tell you something Matt has that Smith doesn't, an 11 win season capped off with a playoff appearance his rookie year. But we dont even have to go that far. He had 9 wins last season, which is also something Smith has never accomplished. What's that, a winning record you say? Yeah, I know. We dont get that around here. Matt also didn't lose must win games against the likes of the Sea Chickens last year (To take the division) or look completly lack luster versus the Lions and the Rams when it was time for him to prove he belonged. So save it for your girlfriend. Thanks for your 2 cents though.

P.S. I was't really trying to bash Smith. My point was he hasn't proven he can be that guy that carries the team on his shoulders yet. I still have hopes he will become an above average QB.

There is much worng with this post, I don't know where to start. First off, a QB doesn't win games, a TEAM does. Hence record does not have a direct correlation to skill level of QB. Example, Drew Brees. The saints went 13-3 this year, but 8-8 last year. Did Brees suddenly improve?(yes his passer rating went up, but he had more than5,000 yatds the year b4) No, their defense got alot better and they got some lucky breaks.
Next, Matt Ryan has played 2 years. 2 YEARS. But because the Falcons made the playoffs his rookie season, he is being called the greatest thing since sliced bread. Don't get me wrong, I thing Ryan is a real good QB and has a gret future ahead of him, but he was the 3rd most overrated player in the league last year. Joe Flacco had a great season last year and, IMHO will be better than Matty "Ice". Now, Flacco and Ryan both have good Running games to help them, but the Ravens have the superior O-line a Defense, giving him more opportunities. I also Love Flaccos physical skills and arm strength and with Boldin added to the mix, should have another impressive year. Also, you missed the point of the original post.
Oak 9er meant that in todays NFL you do need a QB, but back in the 80s, (i think ore 70s than 85 but whatever) teams needed to pound the ball and play tough D, which is how we like to play. The jets made a bit of a run last year and they play a similar style on Offense and Defense, and although Sanchez is a bright young prospect, he was much worse than Smith last year. Also, look at when Baltimore won the superbowl with Trent Dilfer as their QB. TRENT DILFER! As long as you stay true to your identity and play to your strengths, you can win football games in the NFL. That is what we need to do.

There are so many other (obvious) factors that go into this that I don't know if you even understand the way the game of football is played. If you want to compare ANY of the teams we've had since Smith has been drafted to any of the teams that Joe Flacco has had since he was drafted...you must be on some awesome drugs.

[ Edited by norcal49er864 on Apr 28, 2010 at 01:58:02 ]
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Originally posted by NattoNiner:
Icing on cake is only sweeter when there's actual cake.

Sing may bring smash mouth type football, but he he doesn't have the smarts to conjure up intelligent plays.

It doesn't matter, after this season Sing will be removed as HC and someone with actual scheming experience will take over. It should have been Shanahan, and now I hope it's Gruden.

you should never post on webzone again... sing is the best thing that happend to this franchise in along time

How? By giving us an 8-8 season? That's progress to expect with the talent we've accumulated over the last 5 years of free agent spending and top 10 draft picks.

Singletary is not qualified to be a head coach, he doesn't know an x from an o.... he was perfect in the capacity of assistant head coach because he is a top-notch motivator.... this isn't 1960's NFL football, we can't will our way deep into the playoffs. It takes scheming in this day and age, and we lost atleast three games this year due to out-coaching alone (see: Green Bay, Houston, and Seattle)

I don't understand where this opinion comes from that gets spouted off like it's common knowledge. Singletary was arguably the greatest MLB's to play in the NFL, and he doesn't know an X from an O? Are you kidding me? He's forgotten more X's and O's than you will ever know. Granted, it might not be his strength, but to parade around this opinion this Singletary is retarded is not only untrue, but plain offensive. Jesus Christ, it's like half the webzone is 13 years old.

And it's not like Singletary hasn't used the word BALANCE over and over again to describe his ideal offense. What's that? He has? Does balance mean running the ball every play and then punting? I don't think so. Even teams that are elite passing teams need maulers on their o-line. Anyone who think that drafting two huge, intimidating SOB's for our O-line is DETRIMENTAL to our passing game is intellectually bankrupt when it comes to football.

You want to talk about what Singletary brings to this team? Toughness, passion, the ability to get the most out of his players, work ethic, the ability to inspire men, the ability to adapt, the willingness to learn from his mistakes, and the willingness to delegate the tasks he is NOT as adept at to other people who are better at them than he is.

Do we have an all-pro, team-oriented Vernon Davis without Singletary? Probably not, Do we have a possible developing pass-rush demon in Ahmad Brooks? Probably not. Do we take chances on other players with character issues? Michael Crabtree, Anthony Davis, Josh Morgan? I understand Crabtree is extremely talented, but if you don't believe that Singletary gives our organization the confidence it needs to take talented but questionable character players, than you are blind.

Second of all, have you actually taken the time to look up the offensive statistics of the Kansas City Chiefs teams that featured both Jimmy Raye AND Mike Solari? Let's see,

In 1999 Elvis Grbac put up 3389 yards, 22 TDs, 15 Ints, throwing to Tony Gonzalez, Derrick Alexander, and a little bit of Joe Horn. Meanwhile, the chiefs fielded a trio of RBs: Donnell Bennet (627 yds, 3.9 ypc, 8 TDs), Bam Morris (414 yds, 3.5 ypc, 3 TDs), and Tony Richardson (387 yds, 4.6 ypc, and 1 TD). They were the 8th highest scoring team in the league and finished 9-7 and first in an AFC west that featured the also 9-7 Seattle Seahawks, the 8-8 San Diego Chargers, and the 8-8 Oakland Raiders

In 2000 Elvis Grbac put up 4100 yards, 28 TDs, 14 INTs, throwing to Tony Gonzalez and Derrick Alexander, with no RB on the team gaining more than 700 yards rushing. I should add that they were the 9th highest scoring offense in the league that year, with only the 19th best defense in terms of opponent scoring.

So you wanna talk about Jimmy Raye not knowing how to coach a passing game, about Jimmy Raye not knowing how to get the most out of his players, diverse and/or limited as their skillsets may be, you can just sit the f*ck down and shut the f*ck up.

Yeah, that's what I thought...

Back to the 49ers, this is about to be Singletary's 2nd full year as a head coach. This is about to Jed's 2nd full year of full ownership responsibilities. So why even bring up 5 years of acquiring talent in the face of the simple fact that this current regime is just settling in? Even still, do you not remember how bad this team was in 2005? Ken mother effing dorsey, a rookie Alex Smith, and Tim Rattay throwing to Curtis Conway and Otis Amey, with Kevan barlow in the backfield. The talent vacuum on this team was so epically bad we set records for inept offensive performances.

Just look at the Houston Texans (who I would argue we were worse than when their franchise played their first NFL season). It took them 8 years just to get to 8-8.

People want quick fixes. Quick fixes are sexy. Our society is all about instant gratification and what I want, screw everyone else. Too bad that's just unrealistic to expect all the time. It does happen, but it requires a perfect storm of events to unfold (New Orleans Saints, LITERALLY). When something doesn't appear to be a quick fix we throw it away because we have no patience, when we can't see the forest through the trees. For the first time since 2004, we have a legitimately talented team. Legitimately talented thanks to ROOKIES who we JUST drafted. Any team that we have fielded since then was literally nothing more than a 4-12 team that overachieved at times. If you don't believe me, than you didn't watch EVERY game for the last 5 years like I have. Fine, last year we were slightly better than that, but we also were in a weak division with only one real rival. If we were in the NFC East, we would have been in contention with the redskins for the worst team in that division. Last year's team still had legitimate questions, and we squeaked out 8 wins (we probably could have had more) THANKS to a combination of coaching and a weak division.

So please, spare me that 5 years of acquiring talent, he doesn't know any X's and O's, QUICK FIX OMG!!!1!!!!111!!1one11 I R FAN I R ALWAYZ RIET I KNO BETTARR THN JOO, bull crap that I know is so prevalent around here. Educate yourself so you won't pollute the internet anymore.

[ Edited by norcal49er864 on Apr 28, 2010 at 02:47:11 ]
I think that the last post said more than enough to plug some mouths.