LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 378 users in the forums

Change of pace Back!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why don't we take a chance on Brian Westbrook. It wouldn't hurt to give him a look.
no
For a year?... interesting.
I'd rather have a bunch of running backs that are gonna run your ass over!
No for the one fact that we have to cut good players now and he wouldn't stack up against players who will potentially be cut
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
No for the one fact that we have to cut good players now and he wouldn't stack up against players who will potentially be cut

So, are you saying that Robinson is better than Westbrook? Or maybe Coffee? I'm not saying that Westbrook would be a great signing, but even with the injuries, as a third down back he is better than some cats on our roster.
i would rather give that roster spot to the odd man out in the blount dixon competition
i hope next yr we take a change of pace back who can take it all the way whenever he touches the ball. a player to look at for next yr demarco murray from oklahoma
I don't think there will be a change of pace back with Sing. I don't think he thinks that we need one. Balance attack through late in the 4th. Then he would like to pound the defense with a ground game when the D is at their most tired and vulnerable. He should know how to attack the D, he played LB.
doesnt seem like sing wants one. we're either gonna run you over hard, harder or hardest. me likes...

actually i think the other guys are just there to soften up the D for gore. let them abuse their bodies by pounding away at defenders, and let the guy with the most talent (gore) make himself last a little longer.

By not adding a change of pace back, it only makes our offense that much more predictable and easy to defend!!! I don't care who you add to the OL, 5 will not be able to guard 8 if defenses stack the box to stop the run that they know where it is going!!! I will beat this point into the ground until I'm blue in the face because I believe in the 3 back, with one of them being a change of pace, system!
Sing wants to punish the D with the running game, especially late, cause he had been through a few of them at the defensive end. It's not a good feeling.
Originally posted by NinersFo6:
By not adding a change of pace back, it only makes our offense that much more predictable and easy to defend!!! I don't care who you add to the OL, 5 will not be able to guard 8 if defenses stack the box to stop the run that they know where it is going!!! I will beat this point into the ground until I'm blue in the face because I believe in the 3 back, with one of them being a change of pace, system!

He's not talking about running the ball all the time. He want balance pass and run. But in the 4th it doesn't matter too much if we will be predictable. Because by that time, the D should be gassed and here comes another big back behind a mammoth O-line.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

He's not talking about running the ball all the time. He want balance pass and run. But in the 4th it doesn't matter too much if we will be predictable. Because by that time, the D should be gassed and here comes another big back behind a mammoth O-line.

We are going to have to have the lead in the game in order for that to be effective. It will be hard to do that when:

1st down=run up the middle for 1-2 yards

2nd down and 8=run between gurad and tackle for another 1-2 yards

3rd down and 6=quick out pass to Crabtree for 4 yards

4th and 2=punt

That is what I saw a lot last year and even though we upgraded the OL, I still see it happening again this year!

I could NOT agree more. Raye had the most predictable scheme in he league last year. We may become more balanced the pass and the run but where we need to be most balanced is WITHIN the run and WITHIN the pass.

In the running game we need to be able to bounce it outside, run reverses, screen passes (essentially a run), QB sneaks, naked bootleg, FB dive, RB's catch and run, etc.

3 straight runs right up to the gut and a personnel that telegraphs the plays even more in the NFL = monster fail and lots of o-line injuries facing 8 and 9 men in the box all run blitzing!
Share 49ersWebzone