LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Post Draft - Need Positions

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It is pretty remarkable when you consider that a 3-4 team has gone this many years w/o drafting a top notch NT or OLB. Franklin is a one-gap NT only, Manny was a 1st rounder who's only a 1st and 2nd down LB now and Haralson would probably be a situational pass rusher on any other team (though he did have an undisclosed hip flexor injury most of last year).

Meanwhile, others such as the Cards, Steelers, Pats, Ravens, etc. continue to load up on their front 7 while we rely on coverage sacks and team scheme sacks.

Eventually, we'll seriously need to address this once and for all.
Originally posted by Esco:
I'm gonna guess offensive play calling and o-line until proven otherwise. If our first round picks pan out then maybe the play calling won't matter so much.

Great point!!!! OC and/or change in philosophy MAY end up being our biggest need in the end as the talent "may" be more applicable to today's successful game and that is a exclusive spread esp. with all the weapons we have.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Mods, move to here please: Post Draft - Need Positions

Sorry, buddy, didn't see your post.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Mods, move to here please: Post Draft - Need Positions

Sorry, buddy, didn't see your post.

No worries at all!!! You brought up more dialogue.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Okay, so now that the draft is over, what do we think is the biggest weakness on our team. I'm leaving QB alone because it's been debated to death and it's obvious that we are going to get our answer once and for all this year.

I'm going to have to go with speed at the CB position. OL was covered by the draft. Returner and speed on offense was improved by the trade for Ginn. We don't have a dominant pass rusher, but our pass rush by committee was pretty effective last year.

What do you guys think?

I share the same position as this poster. I would love a dominate pass rusher. I was hoping we'd get a guy withe that potential this year, but it didn't happen. The commitee was productive last year, and their is still room for improvement from Ahmed Brooks, in addition to the responsibility that Payrs has a bounce back year or Manny has a career year. However, I am really concerned about the cornerback positon. Like with the pass rusher position, I was hopeful that we would find a young player to develop. Unless Nate Clements has a bounce back year, and/or Terrel Brown has career year we may be in touble espicially if the injury bug bites. Unfortunatly it looks as if we are going to have to wait until next year to address these spots. We will have to watch these positons durring the collegate season. Until then please resign Dre Bly.
It is pretty remarkable when you consider that a 3-4 team has gone this many years w/o drafting a top notch NT or OLB. Franklin is a one-gap NT only, Manny was a 1st rounder who's only a 1st and 2nd down LB now and Haralson would probably be a situational pass rusher on any other team (though he did have an undisclosed hip flexor injury most of last year).

Meanwhile, others such as the Cards, Steelers, Pats, Ravens, etc. continue to load up on their front 7 while we rely on coverage sacks and team scheme sacks.

Eventually, we'll seriously need to address this once and for all.

I forgot the NT positon. We need to be on the lookout there as well, just in case Aubrayo(sp?) is gone after this year.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
I don't think plain speed is as big of a problem as it's made out to be.

For me our biggest weaknesses are:

1) Lack of coverage skills. We didn't do anything to address this is the draft. Taylor Mays doesn't help here. We're obviously expecting Goldson to be more consistent this year, but we still need to be better in coverage.

2) Age along the dline without the backups in place. Franklin and Smith were both awesome last year. Smith lead the league in QB hurries from the 3-4 DE spot which is unheard of, and watching the games he really was a true force on our defense. Franklin had the best year of his pro-career as well. These guys will be declining soon and we don't have anyone in place who has shown anything that we can plug in for them.

3) A lot of contracts coming up . We'll probably make the playoffs this season, but we have way too many contracts coming up, and a lot of decisions to make. Here are the important contracts coming up for starters in the next two years:

QB) Alex Smith
HB) Frank Gore
WR) Josh Morgan
Te) Vernon Davis
OL) Chilo Rachal
OL) Eric Heitman
OL) David Baas

DL) Aubrayo Franklin
LB) Patrick Willis
LB) Manny Lawson
LB) Takeo Spikes
LB) Ahmad Brooks

KR) Tedd Ginn

CB Nate Clements and K Joe Nedney should be also added to this list because of age (in the later case) and a prohibitive contract in the former.

Basically, we'll probably make the playoffs this year, but this could be a very, very different team two years down the line.

That is very alarming. We need to extend Pat, Vernon, and Aubrayo as soon a possible. I'd put Frank on that list as well, but it is not as pressing. The rest of those guys still have a lot to prove before they enter the conversation.
Wow, I just got done watching Leroy Vann and he TOTALLY reminds me Darren Sproles...guy has one speed and that is over drive. I'm seriously wondering if we could use this guy as a change of pace RB - someone who could actually run OFF-tackle once in a while. The same vision he has for returning KR/PR he would be using as a RB off tackle. Can you imagine a sweep to this guy and if he gets outside...5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Touchdown. If anyone hasn't seen his video, go see it - you'll see what I mean.
Share 49ersWebzone