LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

what about the d-line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I have noticed that the niners have not added to the d-line in the draft or UDFA. I know that we added Laboy but, that's was the only addition. Do you guys think we are still looking for one in free agency or are we happy with what we have??? is there anyone out there that could help us?
  • mod
  • Veteran
We stopped the run and we were like 3rd in sacks... We have a good 3-4 line
Originally posted by modninerfan:

Don't get me wrong i like what we have but, we can get better. we are 3rd in sacks but those sacks came in bunches in a couple games. i mean there were games when we never even touched the qb. to me that stat is kind of misleading.
We should have taken a shot at Selvie
Maybe we could try to get osi? I kno that the giants said they will not trade him but, maybe we could work something out? Would he be a good fit in our 3-4?
Maybe we could try to get osi? I kno that the giants said they will not trade him but, maybe we could work something out? Would he be a good fit in our 3-4?
yeah no sh!t..

All but 1 (or 2) of our games were lost by a touchdown or less. A little more pressure on the QB (favre, manning) and we would have had a complete different season..

It doesn't seem as important cause we were 3rd.. but people don't think that half our sacks came against the rams or lions etc..

However i think brooks.. and the gained experience with the other players will only improve. Brooks is easily a 10+ sack guy.. and manny too.

If our offense stays on the fricken field, these guys can do their thing when they're called on..
I'm with you mike9er. Our here one week, gone the next pass rush is a real source of concern.
Originally posted by mike9er:
Originally posted by modninerfan:

Don't get me wrong i like what we have but, we can get better. we are 3rd in sacks but those sacks came in bunches in a couple games. i mean there were games when we never even touched the qb. to me that stat is kind of misleading.

I think a lot of that has to do with our rotation. We spent a lot of the season trying to find what worked and what didn't. I think our secondary is just flat out bad. If they were a little better we wouldn't have gotten torched like we did. I mean we were the first team to sack to Manning and that was week 8 I believe and we pressured Manning all game but still got roasted for 300+ yds. Our line is stout I think our biggest problem is coverage even more so than our OLB problem.
we have a pretty good DL as is....most 3-4's DO NOT have pressure coming from any of the 3 down lineman....actually Smith is probably one of the very best at pressure and McDonald is a very good backup. I think the niners are happy with Balmer being average if and when we need him and i'm sure Ricky Fran?? may be a pretty decent backup as well.

Our LB's are very good at generating sacks and pressure and when Brooks gets more chances to be on the field he will have many more pressures and at least 10 sacks.

Our secondary between Clements, Spencer Brown Goldson is actually in the top 10 in the nfl. We gave up some yards b/c teams ether had to pass so much to catch up OR they couldn't run on us so they HAD to pass and did well once and a while. Remember Minn???? they had a pretty decent secondary with Sharper, Winfield and co BUT they were ahead quite a few games AND nobody bothered to run against them b/c they were so dam good like we are.

I wish people realized that.....think McFly think! Our secondary could get better of course but holding some of the best qb's in check (manning no td's, Favre had a great pass but we held him to about 50% comp rate and had a pick, Warner tourched everybody except.....NINERS, so i think we did have one of the top 10 secondaries in the nfl)

Originally posted by elguapo:
we have a pretty good DL as is....most 3-4's DO NOT have pressure coming from any of the 3 down lineman....actually Smith is probably one of the very best at pressure and McDonald is a very good backup. I think the niners are happy with Balmer being average if and when we need him and i'm sure Ricky Fran?? may be a pretty decent backup as well.

Our LB's are very good at generating sacks and pressure and when Brooks gets more chances to be on the field he will have many more pressures and at least 10 sacks.

Our secondary between Clements, Spencer Brown Goldson is actually in the top 10 in the nfl. We gave up some yards b/c teams ether had to pass so much to catch up OR they couldn't run on us so they HAD to pass and did well once and a while. Remember Minn???? they had a pretty decent secondary with Sharper, Winfield and co BUT they were ahead quite a few games AND nobody bothered to run against them b/c they were so dam good like we are.

I wish people realized that.....think McFly think! Our secondary could get better of course but holding some of the best qb's in check (manning no td's, Favre had a great pass but we held him to about 50% comp rate and had a pick, Warner tourched everybody except.....NINERS, so i think we did have one of the top 10 secondaries in the nfl)

We give up way too many big plays to have a top 10 secondary. VY probably had his longest pass of his career against us. And Matt Ryan had to have close to 300 by half time against us. The only place we did good as far as pass defense was scoring. We didn't give up a lot there but the yardage wasn't pretty. But I guess it all goes back to is it the pass rush or the coverage. We could use help at both but the D line isn't the problem.
Originally posted by elguapo:

Thank good someone said it. D-Line is solid. Laboy is a great pickup and hopefully everyone stays healthy and it will be a solid unit. the problem now is the OLBs. All light in the ass coverage guys. Brooks does a good job rushing the passer so hope he can keep his game at a high level next year with no other real pass rusher on the roster.
Originally posted by kstolai:
We should have taken a shot at Selvie

damn when we passed on him in the 6th
First of all, Selvie is not a 3-4 d-lineman. He would be an OLB in the scheme.

Second, the Niners brass made it very clear where they thought the greatest needs were. D-line wasn't one of them.

That being said, did they do the right thing by ignoring the d-line? I was hoping for a backup NT or another 5 technique DE to add to the mix. I guess they are giving Balmer one last chance and giving RJF a shot as well to join Franklin, J. Smith, Soap, and McDonald in the rotation.

Still, there is plenty of time before the season opener to add someone else if necessary. Remember, there are now 12 other teams who play the 3-4 scheme and not everyone will make their rosters either.
Share 49ersWebzone