Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Leroy Vann-NCAA Career Record Holder for Return TD's Is a Niner

Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
This draft just keeps on giving

It's like he has no acceleration time he just takes off at full speed
God this was an amazing draft
we're gonna torch all these fools..

GINN AND VANN?!?! ok people.. if it were for stats they should just hand us over the trophey now. ahah....

no for real.. if they both turn out good, then teams won't even have the chance to "not kick to him"

When Ginn was drafted i wanted him for our number 1.. and we got him for a 5th! now vann..dude looks like he's got fuel to burn..

hells yeah..
He has the speed to get it and go. I think he'll be awesome. Maybe they can put him at running back. Don't think why he can't catch the ball either. He catches the ball as a punter returner.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
f**k yeah... this guy should be our main PR/KR and have Ginn and Kyle Williams focus on being WR's

Crabtree
Morgan
Ginn
Hill
Williams

I say zeigler and jones get cut or williams goes to PS and Zeigler hangs on the team.

Hill is by no means a lock, he must do 1. stay healthy and 2 be consistent, to make this team.

I personally rathe rhave a vet like Jones than Hill. But I like Williams to make the team.

Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Jones, Williams and Vann(CB, WR and RS)

Disagree with you on Hill. He's one of our best special teams players. He's often the first guy down to the field to make a hit and he's a good receiver when given the chance. He deserves one more year.

This year will prove it for him I think. There were rumors the 9ers were talking extension with him, I think it would be premature for that. He needs to stay healthy in TC to beat out Jones/Ginn/Williams for PT.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by dlance:
He was undrafted for a reason yes he is a great PR or KR but thats about all he can play in the NFL. I don't think he can really play DB he is 5'8" a little to short. if he could play RB or WR and still do return then he would make it. plus with Ginn, Williams both being good KR and both playing WR there may not be an open spot for Vann.

IOW, he is (or could be) another Allen Rossum (with the Niners at the beginning of a career rather than the end). If he shows up (a big if) on SF's special teams in any way approaching his highlight reel, he could be a keeper on that basis alone. I'm hoping other teams aren't kicking off to us often next season, but in that case, you'd want an equalizer returning those kicks for points or field position. And if -- as I hope -- we're receiving lots of punts, same deal. Either way, you're looking at a player handling the ball perhaps a dozen or so times a game, which is more than any of your backup skill positions will do, so a special player there may make a big difference in the way the game turns out.

I agree with you if he is way better then anyone els and they have a spot for him great. I don't think he can play CB in the NFL. if they need the spot for a CB that can play and they think Ginn and Williams can halden the returns then he is in trouble. because they both can play at WR if needed.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
So WTF... is he with us or the Ravens?...

Dude, he's a Niners fan..............
Holy s**t. This guy is fast and quick as hell!!! I think he'll definitely make the squad.
did i hear it right - that RB he nailed early on in the video- was that anthony dixon? the guy we drafted? i thought i heard dixon. haha
This guy is ridiculous.
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
This draft just keeps on giving

i feel like im watching high school football
Originally posted by 2cents:
Leroy Vann on ESPN Gameday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9j6orxD7zA

my new favorite guy. freaking rocket ship, love it

I can't stop smiling.
I took a stop watch and timed him on the kickoff return around the 3:55-4:05 area.

From a complete stop, letting the ball bounce to him.. He ran back that TD -- 80 yards -- in 9.00 flat.

Most people lose speed after about 40-50 yards. Vann doesn't. He's got gamebreaking speed. You can't just half that into a 4.50 forty time. Accounting for lost speed, I'd say Vann runs somewhere between at least a 4.38 - 4.45 forty -- at least in games.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 25, 2010 at 16:42:40 ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I took a stop watch and timed him on the kickoff return around the 3:55-4:05 area.

From a complete stop, letting the ball bounce to him.. He ran back that TD -- 80 yards -- in 9.00 flat.

Most people lose speed after about 40-50 yards. Vann doesn't. He's got gamebreaking speed. You can't just half that into a 4.50 forty time. Accounting for lost speed, I'd say Vann runs somewhere between at least a 4.38 - 4.45 forty -- at least in games.

I'm glad you don't have other hobbies

but yeah, he definitely seems like one of those guys who has a faster "game speed" than a running speed.I can't wait to see how he looks in action against NFL caliber players.

That's what I was thinking - there's no way this guy runs over a 4.45 40 - absolutely no way.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

I'm glad you don't have other hobbies

but yeah, he definitely seems like one of those guys who has a faster "game speed" than a running speed.I can't wait to see how he looks in action against NFL caliber players.

Three and a half more months to go. Can I bear it? .. I promised myself I'd take at least a month off before I start posting about next year's draft -- introducing players, etc...

All I have until June as far as sports where people are continually decked, smashed, and hit so hard they get flipped up in the air.. is hockey. Thankfully, we have a Bay Area team to be proud of that is still playing -- go San Jose Sharks.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home