LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 339 users in the forums

Leroy Vann-NCAA Career Record Holder for Return TD's Is a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by 49erDan:
He didnt get drafted for a reason.

yeah..

size, we all know how well that logic has worked out for passed return men in the league..

Try small school - all Black school. Not that, thats an issue but how many NFL players are currently from Black Universities......? exactly.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Not going to make the 53 man roster, with the addition of Ginn. Maybe a practice squad player.

Early, but I'll disagree.

I envision him making it as an extra DB and the primary punt returner. I believe the team envisions Williams as the future at Slot receiver.

My doubt is based on his inability to add anything in value outside of returning. And, as you know, you have to play multiple positions of need when gaining the last slot on a roster.

In the end, I expect Ginn to be the unquestioned PR/KR when the season begins, unless:
1) He gets injured
2) He starts for the team at WR

Stranger things have happened, but I just think he's going to be our number 5 CB. I think Stoudamire has a better chance to make the roster, since he can play on defense and contribute on special teams.

We'll see in the end.

I agree
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Not going to make the 53 man roster, with the addition of Ginn. Maybe a practice squad player.

Early, but I'll disagree.

I envision him making it as an extra DB and the primary punt returner. I believe the team envisions Williams as the future at Slot receiver.

My doubt is based on his inability to add anything in value outside of returning. And, as you know, you have to play multiple positions of need when gaining the last slot on a roster.

In the end, I expect Ginn to be the unquestioned PR/KR when the season begins, unless:
1) He gets injured
2) He starts for the team at WR

Stranger things have happened, but I just don't think he's going to be our number 5 CB. I think Stoudamire has a better chance to make the roster, since he can play on defense and contribute on special teams.

We'll see in the end.

I agree
Already he's taking on most of the punts even though it's the rookie camp. Still, there was a reason Singletary "hand-picked" him. He took great pains to learn his background and personally attend his "pro-day" session. His skills as a punt returner seem unquestioned. It's whether there is room for this kid. I say he will be on ST no matter what and will be a back=up slot CB.

I remember good ol' Otis Amey from Sac State who nobody said could do it. He had one shot, scored a TD on opening day and went off to obscurity.

This time, I hope the dude sticks!
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Interesting find.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

Interesting find.

yessir

yeah..

size, we all know how well that logic has worked out for passed return men in the league..

Try small school - all Black school. Not that, thats an issue but how many NFL players are currently from Black Universities......? exactly.

Mississippi Valley State must have been culturally diverse back in the day.

Mark Schlereth went to Idaho also. Didn't Merrel Hoge play for a Small school too?

~Ceadder:drink:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by teeohh:
has Zeigler ever made the team or is he just practice squad?

Practice squad and has been his whole career. Zeigler.

~Ceadder

(2008) 8 games: 5rec/97yds/19.4avg/31lng

Elevated due to injuries. Sheesh. If you aren't starting with the team and you land on the PS then imho, you are PS not 53 man. Understand?

Okay so I assume that we can all agree that Zeigler will more than likely not make this roster?

~Ceadder

• Bille
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Wooow I'm pretty impressed with this kid, why I didn't bother watching his tube highlights till now I have no idea. This kid seems to have great vision on the field to go with his speed. What I wanna know is, how many times has he dropped a punt or kick return??

I'm gonna love watching this kid in Preseason.

You won't learn much from those highlights (except that there are a lot of really bad special teams coaches and players in the college ranks -- lack of discipline to prevent return lanes, mediocre hang time on punts, lack of speed on the covering teams, etc.). Still, Vann shows he's decisive, usually picks the optimal route to run, and accellerates very quickly. I don't think he's going to find it's such easy going at the pro level, but he does have the ability to punish any punting team that makes a mistake.

Your right I agree, but what I've noticed about RS transitioning to the Pro's is that they have a hard time catching the ball. Could it be its because they're nervous and haven't worked out the rookie jitters or is it because they've had that problem in college?? Look at David Allen, Yamon Figurs, Chad Owens and that kid from Appalachian St. forgot his name, but all were good returners in college who muffed A LOT of punts and kick returns in the Pro's, all have speed and are just as quick as Devin Hester. If those RS mentioned could hang onto the ball they'd solve anyone's ST's problems.

Lots of reports from the minicamp suggest the balls in the nfl are a lot slicker then the college ones.

And I think in the NFL, you are allowed to work on the balls you use on offense (put mud or whatever on it to make them easier to use) but on kicks and punts you use K-balls which are brand new balls. Atleast that's how I recall the rules are now adays.

Id hit it
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

yeah..

Mississippi Valley State must have been culturally diverse back in the day.

Mark Schlereth went to Idaho also. Didn't Merrel Hoge play for a Small school too?

~Ceadder:drink:

lol valley is the same now as it was then, i went to ms valley, (yep the same school as rice, actually met him a couple of times) and yea the level of competition isnt as high as the other div 1 schools but talent is talent and a lot of big time athletes have some from small schools, or black school or wateva you wanna call them, (jerry rice, walter payton, steve mcnair) just to name a few, and those 3 came from swac schools in ms..... not counting others, not trying to start an argument, just saying

[ Edited by 228niner on May 3, 2010 at 08:13:22 ]
Originally posted by valrod33:

Id hit it

The kid is awesome. Lightning Fast..

woohoo
Share 49ersWebzone