There are 237 users in the forums

Will Ronnie Lott spend time with Mays?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He will spend time with Mays.
Maybe they'll do some arts and crafts together

i hope he spends A LOT of time together
lott can help mays out so much and make him into a better player
can't wait to see how Mays developes I believe the 9ers were shocked he was there at 49 and were happy to take him. Don't be surprised to see him become a starter sometime during the season.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I wish Crabtree would spend time with Jerry Rice.

Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin, Eugene Parker

Jerry Rice
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Maybe they'll do some arts and crafts together

• JRILL
  • Veteran
Ronnie Lott is already a mentor for Mays, Lott loves his physicality and he just needs to work on his coverage skills... I've wanted Mays since last year, really excited for this pick!!!
Of course. One USC badass tutoring another USC badass.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
f**k a tatt, if Mays wants to honor Lott, he should cut off his finger.

Let's not get too excited.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Someone needs to tech the guy how to cover and wrap up when he tackles, as well as taking the correct angle to get to the ball carrier. He has the physical skills, but he is a terrible cover guy. I certainly hope Ronnie takes the kid under his wing and shows him how to not embarrass himself when the ball is in the air.

It will get done. In one of the press confrences someone it was mentiond that he didn't take good angles when covering in additon to being 20 yards deep a lot of times. Sing said after the selection that they like his speed and hip movement. If coaches can correct his angles we may have something special here. Plus he and Ronnie are close he shoud be involved either directly or indirectly.

here is what Sing said cut and pasted. I know I was nonspecific in the previous paragrah, but I figued if I didn't find it someone would flip out.

On Taylor Mays being the size of a linebacker:
“I think Taylor Mays is one of those guys that I really don’t know what he was asked to do at USC. I think when you look at the film and you see the guy, he’s back 20 yards, it’s pretty amazing. When he came in and we had him for the interview there were just some things that he was just not asked to do. Sometimes,I think as coaches, you assume that they can’t do it. But I’m excited about him. Anytime you find a guy that has the intangibles that he does, just the ability to move and being able to have the range that he has. I think our defensive backs coaches, Johnnie Lynn, [Vance Joseph] V.J., will get their hands on him and get some work done. We’ll see exactly what we have, all of that potential, put it in place and make him the best football player that he can be. The one thing I know is he’s hungry. He wants to be a great football player, and he wants to be a 49er. That’s really huge and I’m very excited about that.”

On whether Taylor Mays was drafted for his athleticism more than what was on film:
“Well, I think when you look at some of these guys, you end up drafting them because they can run a little faster. You sit down and you talk to your position coaches and ask the same question that we did when we talked to [offensive line] coach [Mike] Solari about [Guard Mike] Iupati, can he do it? When V.J. sits down and Johnnie Lynn sits down and talks to Taylor Mays, they came away from that conversation realizing that coach, this guy is willing to do all of the things that we need him to do. Not only is he willing to do them, when you look at his workout, you look at the way his hips can move, you look at some of the things he can do, we know he can do those things, it’s just a matter of getting him to do it.”

This leads me to believe he may have better coverage skills than we think.

[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 25, 2010 at 20:44:01 ]

i heard tayor mays is waiting for his first game so he can also cut his finger off!!!
Originally posted by LottsZombiePinky:

lol
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Someone needs to tech the guy how to cover and wrap up when he tackles, as well as taking the correct angle to get to the ball carrier. He has the physical skills, but he is a terrible cover guy. I certainly hope Ronnie takes the kid under his wing and shows him how to not embarrass himself when the ball is in the air.

Dashon Goldson had the same problems but came on strong and had a very good year so hopefully they can do the same for Mays!

go Niners!
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by LottsZombiePinky:

lol

I was hoping I'd bring you out of hiding.
Share 49ersWebzone