There are 289 users in the forums

FINALLY...we have the makings of a very potent offense.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's been a long time since we could even contemplate such an idea, but it appears the Niners finally could put a very nice offense out on the field. Now, in order to do so, we'll need the newb OL to come around quickly, but that is entirely reasonable as far as NFL play goes, as is the idea that Dixon can step in immediately and help.

Here's what we know about Davis and Iupati...they both come into the league as roadgraders. They both could use some polish as passprotectors, as do most linemen coming into the league, but they're already mashers as run blockers. Now let's look at this OL:

Staley-Iupati-Heitmann-Rachal-Davis

Now we can move Snyder back inside to pick up snaps at guard while still having Baas contribute every once in a while. Sims played pretty well last year, and it appears that Boone has transformed himself physically into a contributor. The Pitt TE we drafted seems to be a ready to go runblocker as well.

Now once the pups on the OL get comfortable, we're talking about some serious rushing potential. Don't forget how invaluable having a TE like Davis is in this process. He can line up and mash you on a run play or dust you down the seam on a play-action pass.

Best case scenario:
We mash people with the running game, finally opening holes for Gore instead of making him get every damn yard himself. We've seen what he can do with the ball and just a little operating room. Now hit them up with Gore and bring in a sledgehammer like Dixon who is a big back with rare athleticism and short term burst. To me, Dixon immediately leapfrogs Coffee, but Coffee can still have a role as well as a kind of medium point between Gore and Dixon. If our OL plays up to potential (like the Solari addition here as well), other teams are going to be pretty tired in the fourth quarter, and we'll have the ability to run around them (Gore) or over them (Dixon).

Meanwhile, Alex Smith has to be seriously happy right about now. Our rushing attack is going to allow him a lot of room to operate when he surveys the field. Ted Ginn isn't a polished receiver, but he is absolutely someone you have to account for due to his speed (ask Revis). Now you combine him with Vernon Davis, and we've got the entire field at our disposal. Am I forgetting anyone? Oh yeah, one of the best receiver prospects of the last 15 years (along with Fitz and Megatron) missed all of the preseason and half the regular season, and still walked into town and showed us on the field why he was worth all the drama. Now what do you think a full offseason of practice will do for Crabtree? Dude is ready to take over.

Let Ginn and Davis occupy the deep portions of the field while Crabtree and Morgan play underneath. Leave Crabtree one on one and watch him throw the DB out of the way and take that ball out of the year. Morgan isn't very polished, but the kid is an athlete and has the capacity to simply make plays. Then you mix in peripheral guys like Walker and Hill in the passing game.

If our OL starts crushing people, how will opposing DCs prepare for us? Do you walk your safeties up only to have Ginn and Davis run past you while Crabtree chops up single coverage? Do you keep your safeties back and let Gore/Dixon/Coffee pound the ball? Gore might not have the extra gear that guys like Spiller/Johnson have, but we've seen what he does when he gets a crack. Gore has deceptive speed and can take it 40 yards without a problem, and now we have the makings of a OL who can give him those holes on a regular basis.

I know our OC isn't anyone's first choice, but I was impressed and encouraged with the way he and Singletary listened to the players and made adjustments last year. I have no problem whatsoever with smashmouth ball when you have the pieces in place, and we finally have those pieces. I hope we pound the ball to the point where teams sell out to stop us and we toast them deep. I think Crabtree is the kind of receiver who will kill single coverage as he improves, so I hope our running attack draws those extra players into the box.

For the first time in a long time, I think we have reasons to be very optimistic. When you take into consideration how solid we are on defense and what Ginn instantly brings our return game (won't it be nice to flip the field on occasion before the offense even gets out there), I think we're poised to make some noise this year and moving forward.
Amazing how good of a job Sims did for us coming in for Staley. It could have been so bad so many ways had he not done the job he did. Now he needs to teach the pups with Ray Brown on the side.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 24, 2010 at 3:16 PM ]
I hope so. Just give them time.
I thought it was pretty smart bringing in two o-lineman. I think that is going to make your offense much more formidable. Plus putting Taylor Mays behind Patrick
Willis gives you guys a couple of enforcers out there to steal a hockey term. If Mays can improve his coverage skills that is going to be a strong LB/S combo.
amen brotha
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
I thought it was pretty smart bringing in two o-lineman. I think that is going to make your offense much more formidable. Plus putting Taylor Mays behind Patrick
Willis gives you guys a couple of enforcers out there to steal a hockey term. If Mays can improve his coverage skills that is going to be a strong LB/S combo.

Just think,on kickoff returns we put ginn on one side vann on the other. Instant field position. It's going to be a good year for the boys in red and gold.
Originally posted by eastie:

Just think,on kickoff returns we put ginn on one side vann on the other. Instant field position. It's going to be a good year for the boys in red and gold.

It's very possible.
Wasn't Rachal released?
You forgot about the disaster that is Alex Smith. He'll lose us at least 8 games by himself./metrosexual sarcasm

Originally posted by defenderDX:
Wasn't Rachal released?

Yeah, I am pretty sure that he was.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
You forgot about the disaster that is Alex Smith. He'll lose us at least 8 games by himself./metrosexual sarcasm

I think haters will be silenced...wins fix everything.
My biggest concern is drops. Vernon, Morgan and Ginn all have had problems with drops in the past and I hope they can improve on that. Two biggest drive killers: drops and penalties.
Wasn't Rachal released?

Uhhhh, no.
Wasn't Rachal released?

lol
Share 49ersWebzone