LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 333 users in the forums

mmm....so I'm guessing no more Spread offense for Alex???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Do the coaches expect him to be comfortable behind center after an offseason or something...

I know some feel he might have been uncomfortable behind center because of the Oline and with the improvement of the Oline, he should be fine now...

but personally I thought he had problems because of reading the defense fast enough.....and that is where the spread came in....something he was just more comfortable and able to see what the defense might do, because they were spread out.

is he all the sudden going to be expected to succeed from under the center?

or are we going to have to switch up to the spread again half way through the season?

are we a power running team or a spread team?
the draft seems to give an impression that we will be a power running team.
Good question.
hopefully were a balanced team that gives alex the option to audible into something else if he doesnt like the defensive look. i dont want us just because we solidfied our oline and has the chance to be one of the best if not the best to just run run run run even when theres like 8-9 in the box
They'll mixed it up like they did last year. It was never exclusively spread last year. It just dependent on field position, down and distance.

All the addition was more geared towards running the ball, than for Smith, although it does help him a lot to have those guys up front. We didn't have a lot of success running the ball like the coaches wanted to. Like back in 2007 when Gore had that good year.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM ]
you do realize most of his td's came from under center....this crap about him only being functional in shotgun is bs
they will mix it up the OT Davis strength is as a pass protector
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
hopefully were a balanced team that gives alex the option to audible into something else if he doesnt like the defensive look. i dont want us just because we solidfied our oline and has the chance to be one of the best if not the best to just run run run run even when theres like 8-9 in the box

but see then that is the problem, will Alex be comfortable to call an audible....will he be comfortable to call an audible undercenter....and then be patient and throw from the pocket with the new play call.

I don't know.....it seems alot are expecting a huge improvement out of Alex this season...

if he played more undercenter late in the year last year.. and had success then I can see that....but the fact is we were a spread team.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
you do realize most of his td's came from under center....this crap about him only being functional in shotgun is bs

were "most of out TDs" 60yrds + or something.

that is a perfect time to play under the center near the red zone...

I am more worried about sustaining drives and getting past midfield in the first place.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

I am more worried about sustaining drives and getting past midfield in the first place.

Smith under center wasn't a problem last year. It was the O-line pass protecting from under center that was inconsistent.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Smith under center wasn't a problem last year. It was the O-line pass protecting from under center that was inconsistent.

exactly,

Yep. No more spread. It's official, we're f**ked. 2-3 yard gains per down all over again.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Yep. No more spread. It's official, we're f**ked. 2-3 yard gains per down all over again.

You are gauging it from last year's O-line. Gore will have his usual 4 yp carry back with the new line.

I can't wait for 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 7 all over again!
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

You are gauging it from last year's O-line. Gore will have his usual 4 yp carry back with the new line.

I hope so.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

I can't wait for 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 7 all over again!

That's what I meant, yep, lol.. But I hope not.
Share 49ersWebzone