LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

david baas at center?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wouldn't mind this. Baas did play center in college and Heitman is getting older. Even though Heitman is a seasoned vet on our Oline and team, he is probably the weakest (strength wise), on our offensive line.

LT Staley 6'5 315lbs
LG Iupati 6'5 331lbs
C Baas 6'4 330lbs
RG Rachal 6'4 315lbs
RT A. Davis 6'5 323lbs

That's a lot of beef! The kind of line that Coach Sing would love. We'll see what happens though, I'm just glad we got some good quality linemen. Go 49ers!!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by dj43:
The three most important positions on a football team are:

quarterback

free safety

center

In each case, their ability to read the opponent and make adjustments in players assignments is critical.

A number of writers have noted that Baas has been very slow at picking up assignments on his own job. In a not-too-subtle way, he isn't very bright. To put him at center would not be a good idea.

Baas will have to play MUCH better than he has in the past to be offered a new contract at the end of 2010. His best shot to stay here is to bump Wragge from the roster and settle for back-up pay.

I agree with your points about why Baas shouldn't be at Center, but I don't agree with the your three most important positions on a team. Everyone is valuable, obviously, and at any position a great player will help his team win. But, in the recent NFL its been QB, LT, Pass rusher (OLB or DE) that has been the most important. At least, based on how teams draft and pay for those players, those are the ones that are valued the most.
Perhaps it would have made sense to say that all three of these are important position but they all share a common need for a measure of intelligence above other positions. In each case, the person playing the position must be more than just a good athlete. In the case of a center, if they cannot quickly recognize the defense and make the correct call, then the rest of the line had better be very good to make up for his mental error.

That is what I was getting to with moving Baas to center. He might turn out to be a better blocker but if he can't make the calls then he isn't a better center.

Once again I call everyone's attention to the fact it took him three years to get into the starting lineup, and even then, he made a lot of mistakes. With Heitmann getting older, I would like to see Baas take over but it doesn't look like the coaches are in with it.
  • JC49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:

quarterback

free safety

center

In each case, their ability to read the opponent and make adjustments in players assignments is critical.

A number of writers have noted that Baas has been very slow at picking up assignments on his own job. In a not-too-subtle way, he isn't very bright. To put him at center would not be a good idea.

Baas will have to play MUCH better than he has in the past to be offered a new contract at the end of 2010. His best shot to stay here is to bump Wragge from the roster and settle for back-up pay.

I agree with your points about why Baas shouldn't be at Center, but I don't agree with the your three most important positions on a team. Everyone is valuable, obviously, and at any position a great player will help his team win. But, in the recent NFL its been QB, LT, Pass rusher (OLB or DE) that has been the most important. At least, based on how teams draft and pay for those players, those are the ones that are valued the most.
Perhaps it would have made sense to say that all three of these are important position but they all share a common need for a measure of intelligence above other positions. In each case, the person playing the position must be more than just a good athlete. In the case of a center, if they cannot quickly recognize the defense and make the correct call, then the rest of the line had better be very good to make up for his mental error.

That is what I was getting to with moving Baas to center. He might turn out to be a better blocker but if he can't make the calls then he isn't a better center.

Once again I call everyone's attention to the fact it took him three years to get into the starting lineup, and even then, he made a lot of mistakes. With Heitmann getting older, I would like to see Baas take over but it doesn't look like the coaches are in with it.

It would be nice for Bass, and for us since he was a high pick, if he fell into place on our O-line and made it young all the way across. I think dj43 pegged it though and he just never is going to cut the mustard. If he sticks around as a back-up maybe he can make good and prove his critics wrong but as much as I would like that to be the story I have my doubts.

Too bad we've gotten even less from Cody Wallace who was drafted as a center.
I think Heitman ha been solid for us, but it does seem that the majority of the pressure comes straight up the middle. Not saying this is all Heitmens fault, but I think he can be upgraded.. Heitman does not get much push up front, so say open competition between him and Bass for the center spot this camp.. May the best man wn.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I think Heitman ha been solid for us, but it does seem that the majority of the pressure comes straight up the middle. Not saying this is all Heitmens fault, but I think he can be upgraded.. Heitman does not get much push up front, so say open competition between him and Bass for the center spot this camp.. May the best man wn.

Yep, it'll be interesting to see if the new OL coaches open up the competition.
why mess with a good thing, heitman is rock solid at center, lets keep it that way
I would like to keep Baas at guard for depth and injuries, but give him some work at center.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by danimal:
there is a pattern I see with Niner fans alot.

Obviously, that was a horrible decade. We had a lot of horrible teams and a lot of terrible units for many years. When, there is a terrible unit, and in that unit...1 guy is OK......many Niner fans let themselves believe he is actually pretty darn good.

You saw it with Arnaz Battler, Derrick Smith and yes...Eric Heitmann.

Eric Heitmann is nowhere near the Center that Niner fans think he is.

Why not take a gamble on Baas....if it works out....we have our starting 5 for the next 5 years. Give me another lineup that could lead to a 5 year run of stability?

Heitmann is a connection with the worst decade in Niner history. Let it go.

The Future is....

LT Staley LG Iuapati C Baas RG Rachal RT Davis
6th Man Snyder

Very well said!

All of you on here saing Heitmann is "good" or "not that bad" - that isn't good enough for the 49ers! How many times did we need 1 or 2 yards and not get it because he got blown off the ball? Sure he's been good at calling assignments and adjustments, but what good is that if he then gets physically dominated? I'll take some mental mistakes here and there with Baas in exchange for a nasty center who can make an initial block and then head upfield and take on a LB. Heitmann NEVER does that. It's actually the opposite, he needs help from the guards just to do his job.

This starting 5 is hands down our nastiest, strongest group, and will MAUL teams.

Someone please explain to me where this webzone "fact" has appeared from that Baas, who struggles to play guard, will somehow therefore be a success at the more cerebral position of center.

Because he used to play center. 5 years ago.

I have no issue with upgrading our O line. I just want to know why a guy who can't make a guard position his own is expected to somehow replace an adequate starter.

You guys act like Baas "forgot" how to play center or something. And just because he's not playing center in games doesn't mean he's not getting snaps in practice. I think the "Baas for Center" proponents are simply looking at what the best combination of OL would be. Which, to be honest, is how we should look at this. The OL, more than any other position, is about how the group plays together... And I just think the combo of Iupati, Baas, and Rachal is our strongest group. Will Baas make more mental mistakes then Heitmann? No doubt, but I think it will be more than made up for on those runs up the middle which Baas excels at.

Who has performed better last season, Baas or Heitmann?

Answer: Heitmann.

The end.

quarterback

free safety

center

Wow...
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Obviously, that was a horrible decade. We had a lot of horrible teams and a lot of terrible units for many years. When, there is a terrible unit, and in that unit...1 guy is OK......many Niner fans let themselves believe he is actually pretty darn good.

Why not take a gamble on Baas....if it works out....we have our starting 5 for the next 5 years. Give me another lineup that could lead to a 5 year run of stability?

The Future is....

6th Man Snyder

Very well said!

All of you on here saing Heitmann is "good" or "not that bad" - that isn't good enough for the 49ers! How many times did we need 1 or 2 yards and not get it because he got blown off the ball? Sure he's been good at calling assignments and adjustments, but what good is that if he then gets physically dominated? I'll take some mental mistakes here and there with Baas in exchange for a nasty center who can make an initial block and then head upfield and take on a LB. Heitmann NEVER does that. It's actually the opposite, he needs help from the guards just to do his job.

This starting 5 is hands down our nastiest, strongest group, and will MAUL teams.

Someone please explain to me where this webzone "fact" has appeared from that Baas, who struggles to play guard, will somehow therefore be a success at the more cerebral position of center.

I have no issue with upgrading our O line. I just want to know why a guy who can't make a guard position his own is expected to somehow replace an adequate starter.

You guys act like Baas "forgot" how to play center or something. And just because he's not playing center in games doesn't mean he's not getting snaps in practice. I think the "Baas for Center" proponents are simply looking at what the best combination of OL would be. Which, to be honest, is how we should look at this. The OL, more than any other position, is about how the group plays together... And I just think the combo of Iupati, Baas, and Rachal is our strongest group. Will Baas make more mental mistakes then Heitmann? No doubt, but I think it will be more than made up for on those runs up the middle which Baas excels at.

The end.

Baas didn't play center, he played guard. Plus we've had him all over the place - center, to RG, to LG - difficult for anyone. I'm strictly looking at this as a best case scenario for us. Heitmann is the safe pick, but since when did picking safe win Super Bowls? If that's our goal then we need to put out guys on the OL that will ultimately give us the best chance to be dominant enough to win it all. Heitmann doesn't do that, Baas COULD.

Originally posted by hofer36:
he was a pretty goood center at michigan, heitman's getting older...maybe baas can revitalize his career

Only thing is he's a FA next year, so we would have to extend him not knowing if he can cut it as an NFL center

The Future is....

6th Man Snyder

Very well said!

The end.

Baas didn't play center, he played guard. Plus we've had him all over the place - center, to RG, to LG - difficult for anyone. I'm strictly looking at this as a best case scenario for us. Heitmann is the safe pick, but since when did picking safe win Super Bowls? If that's our goal then we need to put out guys on the OL that will ultimately give us the best chance to be dominant enough to win it all. Heitmann doesn't do that, Baas COULD.

teams COULD blitz our a-gap like they always do. baas is a revolving door when it comes to pass protection. also, i havent seen anything out of him that makes me believe he has the cerebral capacity to make the right line calls
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kujon11:

The Future is....

6th Man Snyder

Very well said!

The end.

teams COULD blitz our a-gap like they always do. baas is a revolving door when it comes to pass protection. also, i havent seen anything out of him that makes me believe he has the cerebral capacity to make the right line calls

Teams blitzed our a-gap because Heitmann is a freakin push over! Rachal and Baas' play declined as a result, because the constantly had to help Heitmann.. I agree, Baas' strength is not pass blocking but it's not that hard to stop a DT's pass rush when you're young and 330 pounds. Blitzing LB's are the RB's responsibility.

I don't know, we could go round and round all day on this one. I just want to see the Niners give all of the possible combinations a chance before they decide. Seems like Heitmann is always given the starting role
Originally posted by kujon11:

The Future is....

6th Man Snyder

Very well said!

The end.

Teams blitzed our a-gap because Heitmann is a freakin push over! Rachal and Baas' play declined as a result, because the constantly had to help Heitmann.. I agree, Baas' strength is not pass blocking but it's not that hard to stop a DT's pass rush when you're young and 330 pounds. Blitzing LB's are the RB's responsibility.

I don't know, we could go round and round all day on this one. I just want to see the Niners give all of the possible combinations a chance before they decide. Seems like Heitmann is always given the starting role

i see what you did there. im pretty sure the coaches have thought this over (combinations on the line). fact of the matter is, baas only shows up for 2-3 games each season and then gets lost to injury or ineffectiveness. there's a reason why beat writers dont clamor for baas to be center as well as the niners not signing baas to an long term extension. it's because he's not that good. just because he has the physical tools doesnt mean he knows how to use them
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by valrod33:
BAAS sucks

At guard, but he's a darn good center. I hope we keep him around.

Yeah, but he'll probably be gone after next year as long as the starting G's play well and stay healthy
Share 49ersWebzone