LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 415 users in the forums

david baas at center?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by danimal:
there is a pattern I see with Niner fans alot.

Obviously, that was a horrible decade. We had a lot of horrible teams and a lot of terrible units for many years. When, there is a terrible unit, and in that unit...1 guy is OK......many Niner fans let themselves believe he is actually pretty darn good.

You saw it with Arnaz Battler, Derrick Smith and yes...Eric Heitmann.

Eric Heitmann is nowhere near the Center that Niner fans think he is.

Why not take a gamble on Baas....if it works out....we have our starting 5 for the next 5 years. Give me another lineup that could lead to a 5 year run of stability?

Heitmann is a connection with the worst decade in Niner history. Let it go.

The Future is....

LT Staley LG Iuapati C Baas RG Rachal RT Davis
6th Man Snyder

I totally agree!
  • cools
  • Veteran
Heitmann is a good center, but does lack power and strength, and it shows when he has to go against top leval NT's

Leave him there for now, but he is in his last year of contract and Upgrading that position in 2011 may not be a bad idea

Im sure Solari will know weather Baas can be a Center or if he even wants to give him a chance, If Baas gets zero reps at Center in TC and Wallace gets all the #2 reps, I think its safe to say Baas will be a 1 year backup guard then be out of here

I hope he does get a chance, It would be nice to eventually have a 330 pound Center with power that is also has plenty of experiance at guard and is familiar with teamates and the system, even if its as the backup Center as this would allow the Niners to cut loose Wallace and Wragge and save a spot for Boone

Staley-Iupati-Heitmann- Rachal-Davis
Bass, Sims, Snyder and Boone as backups

Wragge, Wallace, Puente, Patrick gone
[ Edited by cools on Apr 23, 2010 at 11:19 AM ]

Obviously, that was a horrible decade. We had a lot of horrible teams and a lot of terrible units for many years. When, there is a terrible unit, and in that unit...1 guy is OK......many Niner fans let themselves believe he is actually pretty darn good.

Why not take a gamble on Baas....if it works out....we have our starting 5 for the next 5 years. Give me another lineup that could lead to a 5 year run of stability?

The Future is....

6th Man Snyder

OK you ask a simple question: why not take a gamble with Baas? And the answer is: when you are starting two rookies is not the time to take another gamble!

Heitmann has played quite well. Baas, often, quite horribly. Your logic, that we should therefore bench Heitmann and replace him with someone who struggled as a guard defeats me.

If Wallace isn't the man, let's draft a center next year.
  • dj43
The three most important positions on a football team are:

quarterback

free safety

center

In each case, their ability to read the opponent and make adjustments in players assignments is critical.

A number of writers have noted that Baas has been very slow at picking up assignments on his own job. In a not-too-subtle way, he isn't very bright. To put him at center would not be a good idea.

Baas will have to play MUCH better than he has in the past to be offered a new contract at the end of 2010. His best shot to stay here is to bump Wragge from the roster and settle for back-up pay.
Originally posted by hofer36:
he was a pretty goood center at michigan, heitman's getting older...maybe baas can revitalize his career

One question; Why? Why fix what isnt broken? For the sake of "revilatizing his career".

Since when is ONE PERSON more important than the team? Also, the fact that he was a "goood center" at Michigan does not guarantee he will be good in the NFL. Also, the damn guy can never stay healthy!

Should I continue??
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

The Future is....

6th Man Snyder

Very well said!

All of you on here saing Heitmann is "good" or "not that bad" - that isn't good enough for the 49ers! How many times did we need 1 or 2 yards and not get it because he got blown off the ball? Sure he's been good at calling assignments and adjustments, but what good is that if he then gets physically dominated? I'll take some mental mistakes here and there with Baas in exchange for a nasty center who can make an initial block and then head upfield and take on a LB. Heitmann NEVER does that. It's actually the opposite, he needs help from the guards just to do his job.

This starting 5 is hands down our nastiest, strongest group, and will MAUL teams.

Originally posted by Furlow:

The Future is....

6th Man Snyder

Very well said!

All of you on here saing Heitmann is "good" or "not that bad" - that isn't good enough for the 49ers! How many times did we need 1 or 2 yards and not get it because he got blown off the ball? Sure he's been good at calling assignments and adjustments, but what good is that if he then gets physically dominated? I'll take some mental mistakes here and there with Baas in exchange for a nasty center who can make an initial block and then head upfield and take on a LB. Heitmann NEVER does that. It's actually the opposite, he needs help from the guards just to do his job.

This starting 5 is hands down our nastiest, strongest group, and will MAUL teams.

Maddog in 3...2...1..............
Originally posted by dj43:

quarterback

free safety

center

In each case, their ability to read the opponent and make adjustments in players assignments is critical.

A number of writers have noted that Baas has been very slow at picking up assignments on his own job. In a not-too-subtle way, he isn't very bright. To put him at center would not be a good idea.

Baas will have to play MUCH better than he has in the past to be offered a new contract at the end of 2010. His best shot to stay here is to bump Wragge from the roster and settle for back-up pay.

I agree with your points about why Baas shouldn't be at Center, but I don't agree with the your three most important positions on a team. Everyone is valuable, obviously, and at any position a great player will help his team win. But, in the recent NFL its been QB, LT, Pass rusher (OLB or DE) that has been the most important. At least, based on how teams draft and pay for those players, those are the ones that are valued the most.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

quarterback

free safety

center

I agree with your points about why Baas shouldn't be at Center, but I don't agree with the your three most important positions on a team. Everyone is valuable, obviously, and at any position a great player will help his team win. But, in the recent NFL its been QB, LT, Pass rusher (OLB or DE) that has been the most important. At least, based on how teams draft and pay for those players, those are the ones that are valued the most.

For sure on the pass rushers. DE is one of the hardest positions to find. Elite Pass rushers like LT, White, Strahan, etc dont grow on trees. And they do get paid accordingly. Games are won and lost in the trenches. Same with LT, gotta have a good one.

The Future is....

6th Man Snyder

Very well said!

Someone please explain to me where this webzone "fact" has appeared from that Baas, who struggles to play guard, will somehow therefore be a success at the more cerebral position of center.

Because he used to play center. 5 years ago.

I have no issue with upgrading our O line. I just want to know why a guy who can't make a guard position his own is expected to somehow replace an adequate starter.

The three most important positions on MADDEN are:

quarterback

free safety

center

Fixed
  • flow
  • Veteran

quarterback

free safety

center...

Your lack of knowledge spans many, many subjects.
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:

quarterback

free safety

center...

Your lack of knowledge spans many, many subjects.

Good one
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

The Future is....

6th Man Snyder

Very well said!

Someone please explain to me where this webzone "fact" has appeared from that Baas, who struggles to play guard, will somehow therefore be a success at the more cerebral position of center.

Because he used to play center. 5 years ago.

I have no issue with upgrading our O line. I just want to know why a guy who can't make a guard position his own is expected to somehow replace an adequate starter.

You guys act like Baas "forgot" how to play center or something. And just because he's not playing center in games doesn't mean he's not getting snaps in practice. I think the "Baas for Center" proponents are simply looking at what the best combination of OL would be. Which, to be honest, is how we should look at this. The OL, more than any other position, is about how the group plays together... And I just think the combo of Iupati, Baas, and Rachal is our strongest group. Will Baas make more mental mistakes then Heitmann? No doubt, but I think it will be more than made up for on those runs up the middle which Baas excels at.
to be more specific. I would say Baas over heitmann at Center, with a SHORT leash. If it happens as stated that he gets owned at C....put Heitmann back in, no biggie.

I just want to see for myself Baas at Center. I've seen plenty of Heitmann.
Share 49ersWebzone