LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

*Awesome* Kentwan Balmer 49ers Highlight Reel!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Well that football genius Parcells took a 3-4 DE in the first round when they already had 3 quality guys at that position. Sounds pretty similar to what the Niners did in '08.

You can never have too many d-linemen in the 3-4

Agreed

for some reason there aren't many who seem to comprehend this

Kentwan Balmer sucks and contributes nothing....comprehend that??

In a 3-4 his main job is to eat up space, hard to mess that up. Two years ago people said Aubrayo Franklin sucked, he seemed to turn it around pretty well.[/quote]

This logic is the most asinine and common ill conceived logic in the zone. It goes as follows:

Player A used to suck and now walks on water (or later walked on water)

Player B sucks today, and therefore he too will walk on water in the future as well.

Just to be clear, that is the WORST logic you can use in assessing any player in any sport. Otherwise, Jamarcus Russell is destined for the HOF because Terry Bradshaw sucked at first too.

He wasn't applying it to everyone, he was pointing out that our NT used to be regarded as crappy. He did not apply this logic to everyone. You are reaching just to reach. He merely implied that he could turn it around.....you are being outrageous.

if you think I'm reaching, then you're just not paying attention.

The prime example is that for years, people here have been comparing Alex Smith's stats to those of Troy Aikman's (which sucked early in his career), and using that to extrapolate that Smith would also later walk on water. Of course we now know that such comparisons were ridiculous. Zoners use that for every position on the team where we have an under-achiever, because as fans, it's hard for us to view our team realistically. If someone sucks, they suck. That's really hard to swallow.
Well that football genius Parcells took a 3-4 DE in the first round when they already had 3 quality guys at that position. Sounds pretty similar to what the Niners did in '08.

Agreed

In a 3-4 his main job is to eat up space, hard to mess that up. Two years ago people said Aubrayo Franklin sucked, he seemed to turn it around pretty well.[/quote]

This logic is the most asinine and common ill conceived logic in the zone. It goes as follows:

Player B sucks today, and therefore he too will walk on water in the future as well.

Just to be clear, that is the WORST logic you can use in assessing any player in any sport. Otherwise, Jamarcus Russell is destined for the HOF because Terry Bradshaw sucked at first too.

He wasn't applying it to everyone, he was pointing out that our NT used to be regarded as crappy. He did not apply this logic to everyone. You are reaching just to reach. He merely implied that he could turn it around.....you are being outrageous.

The prime example is that for years, people here have been comparing Alex Smith's stats to those of Troy Aikman's (which sucked early in his career), and using that to extrapolate that Smith would also later walk on water. Of course we now know that such comparisons were ridiculous. Zoners use that for every position on the team where we have an under-achiever, because as fans, it's hard for us to view our team realistically. If someone sucks, they suck. That's really hard to swallow.

Thats what she said.

You could apply that logic to any player who has yet to break out. Not every football player busts out of the gates and makes the pro bowl.

Agreed

The prime example is that for years, people here have been comparing Alex Smith's stats to those of Troy Aikman's (which sucked early in his career), and using that to extrapolate that Smith would also later walk on water.
Of course we now know that such comparisons were ridiculous. Zoners use that for every position on the team where we have an under-achiever, because as fans, it's hard for us to view our team realistically. If someone sucks, they suck. That's really hard to swallow.

It's obvious I hit a nerve and I was not saying that because Aubrayo Fraklin has become a great player that Alex Smith will too. I'm saying it's far too early to judge a player who hasn't even seen the field yet.

Was he a wasted 1st round pick because we didn't need another DE? Yes. Does that automatically make him a bust? IMO no. He will still develop into a solid starter in our scheme.

I understand that you're upset he isn't an All-Pro, but that doesn't mean he sucks and won't contribute. Name one play where Balmer messed up. Show me a play where he made you think he sucks. It seems like you're looking for reasons to hate on this kid, I don't see what he's done to hurt this team's chances in any game so far in his career so to say he sucks is way over the top. He's not stunting anybody's growth behind him, he's not eating up a roster spot or valuable cap room. He's not on a ridiculous contract that will keep us from extending other players. To say that he's irrelevant would be more accurate, but to say he sucks? That's way over the top.

Balmer and Franklin are two similarly built players who were both raw when they got here. They have worked under the same DL coach in the same system and Balmer is entering his 3rd year. I made the comparison because they are in very, very similar situations and playing under the same coach. I trust that the coaches who groomed Franklin know more about DLinemen than either of us do, so I'm willing to see what they do with this kid.

Most people give 3-4 years before grading draft picks, I see you prefer 2 years.

Lastly, I would argue that it is worse to judge a player before you've seen him play a down than it is to reserve judgment until you see him play. I never said that Balmer would become Franklin, all I'm saying is that players develop and he is still extremely young, it's unfair to judge him based on the handful of snaps he's taken in the past two years.
[ Edited by foreign49er on Apr 24, 2010 at 10:26 AM ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Agreed

The prime example is that for years, people here have been comparing Alex Smith's stats to those of Troy Aikman's (which sucked early in his career), and using that to extrapolate that Smith would also later walk on water.
Of course we now know that such comparisons were ridiculous. Zoners use that for every position on the team where we have an under-achiever, because as fans, it's hard for us to view our team realistically. If someone sucks, they suck. That's really hard to swallow.

It's obvious I hit a nerve and I was not saying that because Aubrayo Fraklin has become a great player that Alex Smith will too. I'm saying it's far too early to judge a player who hasn't even seen the field yet.

Was he a wasted 1st round pick because we didn't need another DE? Yes. Does that automatically make him a bust? IMO no. He will still develop into a solid starter in our scheme.

I understand that you're upset he isn't an All-Pro, but that doesn't mean he sucks and won't contribute. Name one play where Balmer messed up. Show me a play where he made you think he sucks. It seems like you're looking for reasons to hate on this kid, I don't see what he's done to hurt this team's chances in any game so far in his career so to say he sucks is way over the top. He's not stunting anybody's growth behind him, he's not eating up a roster spot or valuable cap room. He's not on a ridiculous contract that will keep us from extending other players. To say that he's irrelevant would be more accurate, but to say he sucks? That's way over the top.

Balmer and Franklin are two similarly built players who were both raw when they got here. They have worked under the same DL coach in the same system and Balmer is entering his 3rd year. I made the comparison because they are in very, very similar situations and playing under the same coach. I trust that the coaches who groomed Franklin know more about DLinemen than either of us do, so I'm willing to see what they do with this kid.

Most people give 3-4 years before grading draft picks, I see you prefer 2 years.

Lastly, I would argue that it is worse to judge a player before you've seen him play a down than it is to reserve judgment until you see him play. I never said that Balmer would become Franklin, all I'm saying is that players develop and he is still extremely young, it's unfair to judge him based on the handful of snaps he's taken in the past two years.

OK, you're his brother or his dad, right?

#1 - He has played so few downs because he hasn't demonstrated the ability to do anything but mostly ride the pine, not because he is a victim of circumstance or lack of opportunities. His performance has relegated him to the bench, period.

#2 - He has a career average of 9.5 tackles and zero sacks per year. Read that again a few times. Without crying.

Yeah, it's POSSIBLE that he pulls it out in year 3. I might win the lottery too, but I'm not going to sit here and argue with you about how you shouldn't judge my financial situation until we see if I win the lottery or not.
  • JDog
  • Veteran
I think that a little more is expected out of a 1st round pick by now?
desean jackson
desean jackson

Don't you dare reopen that wound. Our receivers sucked back them too.

Agreed

OK, you're his brother or his dad, right?

#1 - He has played so few downs because he hasn't demonstrated the ability to do anything but mostly ride the pine, not because he is a victim of circumstance or lack of opportunities. His performance has relegated him to the bench, period.

#2 - He has a career average of 9.5 tackles and zero sacks per year. Read that again a few times. Without crying.

Yeah, it's POSSIBLE that he pulls it out in year 3. I might win the lottery too, but I'm not going to sit here and argue with you about how you shouldn't judge my financial situation until we see if I win the lottery or not.

OK, you're just having a bad day right?

#1 - I didn't realize you had a direct line to Singletary's office. What performance has relegated him to the bench? He hasn't even been given the chance to start yet! He was drafted as a project, you can't expect instant results.

#2 - He also has a career average of 0 starts per year. It's not like they've been throwing him out there and he's been failing miserably. He was never drafted as a sack master so if that's what you're hoping for it's never going to happen. Get over it. He's a space-eater in the Franklin mold (another reason I made that comparison earlier) who will eat up blockers for Willis/Spikes/Lawson/Haralson/Brooks.

Franklin and Sopoaga average around 35-40 tackles a season with a sack. Do they suck? No, they just do things that don't show up on the stat sheet. There's no stat for "blockers occupied", but it's extremely important for a 3-4 DL. As I said before, he never was and never will be a big-time pass-rusher. He wasn't drafted to be.

Let's be fair. Kwame Harris sucks. Kentwan Balmer is irrelevant. He isn't blowing coverages or missing tackles. THIS is the season where we form opinions about him. After we've seen him play, not while they've been teaching him how to play the position.

To be clear: just because Franklin blossomed does not guarantee that Balmer will; but Franklin was the last young, raw defensive linemen under this coaching staff's teaching who got a lot of flack for not making plays. Now he's been franchised tagged. Franklin was 26 before he got his second start, Balmer is 23 and has yet to start once.

And yes it is possible, that's what I've been saying. However, I think it's far more likely that Kentwan Balmer becomes a consistent starter than you win the lottery.
  • HearstStiffarm
  • Info N/A
Classic

That about sums it up to a tee

• Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstStiffarm:
Classic

+1

Kentwan finds this thread funny...

Agreed

I thought people used that logic everywhere, and If Russel had probably the greatest team ever around him.... he would still suck but in all seriousness saying a guy sucks because he hasn't picked up a new not to mention tough position to learn right away is asinine as you say. But hey guess we should've cut Vernon because he didn't justify being the 6th pick as soon as he touched the field
Franklin didnt suck as bad as Balmer does. Franklin also got better it seemed every game he played. Balmer is ass. He looks lost, never is around the ball and is getting manhandled by anyone trying to block his soft ass. Coming off the bench should be better for a guy like him because he comes on the field fresh for one play. Sorry cant be soft and play line in a 3-4. He may be a 4-3 DT but 9ers dont play that and its doubtful anyway. This team right now is getting to good to sit and wait for a player to grow balls. If he doesnt have a solid preseason AGAINST THE FIRST STRING OFFENSE cut him loose and let him be a backup DT in a 4-3 in the UFL.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Franklin didnt suck as bad as Balmer does. Franklin also got better it seemed every game he played. Balmer is ass. He looks lost, never is around the ball and is getting manhandled by anyone trying to block his soft ass. Coming off the bench should be better for a guy like him because he comes on the field fresh for one play. Sorry cant be soft and play line in a 3-4. He may be a 4-3 DT but 9ers dont play that and its doubtful anyway. This team right now is getting to good to sit and wait for a player to grow balls. If he doesnt have a solid preseason AGAINST THE FIRST STRING OFFENSE cut him loose and let him be a backup DT in a 4-3 in the UFL.

(Note: turn on your sarcasm detector before reading this post.)

NO, the reason Balmer doesn't play much is because Franklin is so good. Otherwise, Balmer would be all over the field making plays and getting tons of starts. Our coaching staff had him ride the pine for two years because they haven't had time to assess him as a highly paid first rounder, not because he has been unspectacular every time they have assessed him. First round picks rarely get any playing time in their first three years anyways. Balmer could start lighting it up next year, just you watch.
Share 49ersWebzone