LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

So who plays RG now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Hmnnn....

Unless Davis has an OUSTANDING camp, he won't beat out Staley at LOT. I think what might be more of a possibility, or at least when camp starts out as:

Sims (training Davis) - Baas/Rachal - Heitman - Iupati - Staley

A rookie OLT starting in the NFL would be extremely risky. Davis may need to sit a season before getting to the field - again unless he has an OUTSTANDING camp.

That may be a possibility as well as I forgot the need to rush Davis d/t Sims good play at LT last year. But do we want Davis blocking Smith's blind side as Staley is more proven there? In Davis' conference call, he's played both LT & RT (and RG). Interesting. With this lineup only Heitmann and Sims stay in the same position as last year. That's a lot of movement for these guys.

Well if you are going to make such a drastic move, this is the time to do it. We did something similar in 1994 when we acquired Bart Oates and reshuffled the OL a bit.

Sims actually graded out as a better LT than Staley did last season. I don't think that's gone unnoticed. I know he's older and a little prone to injury, but you sure up the right side without exposing your QB to risk. The most inconsistency I saw last season wasn't at OT, rather it was the interior. Baas and particularly Rachal were just out-matched.

Staley may object because a starting ORT doesn't make nearly as much as a premiere ORT. Currently he's the highest paid OLman in the league. THAT'S (NOT) A LOW PRICE!

Should be fun to watch! Solari has his work cut out either way!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
We just literally gave Solari & Brown some toys to play with, it's gonna be awesome how the depth chart turns out. -Not to mention both these guys are going to be showing up on time without holdouts!!!

Just curiosity, why?
per singletary, via MM:

Coach Mike Singletary confirms that Anthony Davis will compete with Adam Synder at RT, and Mike Iupati competes vs. David Baas at LG. (via @MattMaiocco)
Snyder goes back to guard and blows away Rachal. These five are gonna be biblical.

Hmnnn....

Unless Davis has an OUSTANDING camp, he won't beat out Staley at LOT. I think what might be more of a possibility, or at least when camp starts out as:

Sims (training Davis) - Baas/Rachal - Heitman - Iupati - Staley

A rookie OLT starting in the NFL would be extremely risky. Davis may need to sit a season before getting to the field - again unless he has an OUTSTANDING camp.

That may be a possibility as well as I forgot the need to rush Davis d/t Sims good play at LT last year. But do we want Davis blocking Smith's blind side as Staley is more proven there? In Davis' conference call, he's played both LT & RT (and RG). Interesting. With this lineup only Heitmann and Sims stay in the same position as last year. That's a lot of movement for these guys.

Well if you are going to make such a drastic move, this is the time to do it. We did something similar in 1994 when we acquired Bart Oates and reshuffled the OL a bit.

Sims actually graded out as a better LT than Staley did last season. I don't think that's gone unnoticed. I know he's older and a little prone to injury, but you sure up the right side without exposing your QB to risk. The most inconsistency I saw last season wasn't at OT, rather it was the interior. Baas and particularly Rachal were just out-matched.

Staley may object because a starting ORT doesn't make nearly as much as a premiere ORT. Currently he's the highest paid OLman in the league. THAT'S (NOT) A LOW PRICE!

Should be fun to watch! Solari has his work cut out either way!

Suddenly the OL is deep in talent. Lots of competition. Snyder has to feel a little uncomfortable.

Staley, Sims, Baas, Wragge, Heitmann, Wallace, Rachal, Snyder, Patrick, Boone, DeLaPuente now have Iupati and A. Davis to contend with!

If the team keeps 9 OL, that means four of those guys are gone.

DeLaPuente, Wallace, Snyder & Wragge?
Rachal>>>>>Baas or Snyder
Originally posted by DesiDez:

this is my belief too

also anyone suggesting Heitmann is suddenly in danger of losing his job to Baas is out of his damn mind, Heitmann continues to be a rock inside that 49ers O-line. I don't buy that Baas sucks at LG but all of the sudden will be better than Heitmann at C, much less be probowl caliber.

Draft Day made me a happy Panda today
Staley - Iupati - Heitmann - Rachal - Davis

Smith

Gore

Originally posted by vrabbit:

this is my belief too

also anyone suggesting Heitmann is suddenly in danger of losing his job to Baas is out of his damn mind, Heitmann continues to be a rock inside that 49ers O-line. I don't buy that Baas sucks at LG but all of the sudden will be better than Heitmann at C, much less be probowl caliber.

Me too! Many thought Baas was originally drafted to succeed Heitmann and there are some fans who feel he's been given a free pass. Baas may end up being a viable backup at center or either guard position. This may be the year we start working Baas into that role. Solari will have some fun and it's good he's starting from scratch (no bias - just best player; period).

this is my belief too

I thought you were a rabbit? The deception, the lies

Originally posted by redmanc07:

this is my belief too

I thought you were a rabbit? The deception, the lies

the smoke screens
It'll be a competition at RG, essentially between Snyder & Rachal, but I think Snyder wins out for this season. Guard is where he should've been all along and he is currently better than Rachal. (plus he can be right there alongside Davis, once Davis is ready, to help him in his former position).

Staley and Iupati on the left, Heitman stays put, Davis at RT. Man, our line goes from sucking to being potentially elite in 1 round, I love it.

I wouldn't mind shopping Bass for an additional 3rd or so if possible. He seems to be expendable unless he ever does eventually transition to C to eventually replace Heitman. Otherwise, Snyder backs up the right side if Rachal gets the starting RG job, and Wragge backs up center & LG, with Sims backing up LT.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dominate:
Obviously Iupati is our starting LG. But who plays RG now? Baas or Rachel? Not only that but do we have a LT controversy on our hands? Its a problem, but a nice problem to have.

With the value in which the Niners placed on Davis by trading up. I think its pretty obvious that they project him to a LT. Thats an awfully high pick for a RT.

We have plenty to discuss though.

More excuses for Alex.... C'mmon dude, dont make it more difficult, some smart brain decided to go for two OL, let them decide.
But wait.... its gonna be perfect for Alex AGAIN "BUT WE HAD TWO ROOKIES" lets just give him another year to develop......
chilo will play RG i think.

gangster ass line!!!

Staley-Iupati-Heitman-Rachal-Davis

Championship!!!

think davis will probably move to LT but for now he'll probably start at RT
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Dominate:
Obviously Iupati is our starting LG. But who plays RG now? Baas or Rachel? Not only that but do we have a LT controversy on our hands? Its a problem, but a nice problem to have.

With the value in which the Niners placed on Davis by trading up. I think its pretty obvious that they project him to a LT. Thats an awfully high pick for a RT.

We have plenty to discuss though.

More excuses for Alex.... C'mmon dude, dont make it more difficult, some smart brain decided to go for two OL, let them decide.
But wait.... its gonna be perfect for Alex AGAIN "BUT WE HAD TWO ROOKIES" lets just give him another year to develop......

I don't see any excuses being made for Alex. It's just a matter of where the pieces are going to fit. Everyone thinks the O-line got a helluva lot better today, eliminating a primary excuse for Alex, not creating a new one.
Share 49ersWebzone