There are 252 users in the forums

Will both Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati start week 1?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will both Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati start week 1?

• Furlow
  • Veteran
I think both will start. Iupati is an easy upgrade over Baas and Betty White would be an upgrade over Snyder so... yeah Davis will start.

Anyone have any thoughts on Baas moving back to center? I know he's a bit of a knucklehead but he's definitely more of a mauler than Heitmann.. Iupati, Bass, Rachal - that's pretty nasty up the middle
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
yes, easily

our line was worst in the league
They better.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
yes, easily

Originally posted by foreign49er:
yes, easily

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
yes, easily

Davis yes.
Iupati no.

This is barring injuries. I do think that Iupati will step in sometime during the season. Snyder just needs to go.

-9fA
Originally posted by dj43:
Though both will have some technique issues to resolve, both start.

Why?

Because Adam Snyder gave up 8 sacks last year, and required TE help in many situations. Davis will be a better pass blocker the first day he steps onto the practice field than Snyder is now.

Baas' issue was all about his lack of quickness and agility. Those are two of Iupati's strengths. Though Iupati needs work on pass protection, so does Baas. Baas is a power blocker who did OK on the first level but struggled to hit a moving target at the second level. Iupati looks every bit as strong as Baas and his agility will make him a much better blocker at the second level.

Frank Gore and Alex Smith are out partying tonight.

Exactly, we aren't going to be winning much with the turn-stile Adam Snyder at RT. Anthoney Davis is not going to reach his full potential this year, but even a fraction of that is better than Snyder.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I think Davis starts at RT right away and Iupati takes over Baas at LG at some point in the season.

I could see Iupati starting right away, and the 49ers using Baas more at center during training camp.

Remember, the 49ers don't want more than 8 OL players on the gameday roster. The first rounders should be locks to be on that roster along with Sims, Staley, Heitmann, Rachal, and Snyder.

That is 7 total with only one person at center. Either Baas gets that 8th spot, or Wragge/Wallace beats him out.

Snyder a lock? Can't agree. I think Baas will be kept and with 2 rookies we may keep one other (Wallace?) and go with 9.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I believe Davis will start and Iupati will be brought in slowly. Davis gets the nod because he is far more talented than Snyder. While Bass has more experience and will be better prepared to handle the Seattle Seahawks zone blitz scheme.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
yes, easily

MM article:

"Coach Mike Singletary said nobody will be handed a starting job, but Davis and Iupati were not selected in the first round to watch from the sideline. Since the AFL/NFL merger in 1970, the 49ers had never taken an offensive lineman within the first 20 selections.

On Thursday, they took two offensive linemen within the first 17 selections."

They will both start...that's how I voted.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
MM article:

"Coach Mike Singletary said nobody will be handed a starting job, but Davis and Iupati were not selected in the first round to watch from the sideline. Since the AFL/NFL merger in 1970, the 49ers had never taken an offensive lineman within the first 20 selections.

Quote:
[Comment From 49erJim49erJim: ]
Do you see both linemen as 2010 opening day starters and if so will Davis be the LT or the RT?
Friday April 23, 2010 11:16 49erJim

MattB_49:
No -- Singletary was cautious in saying he didn't expect both to be Week 1 starters. With Baas in the fold, I think it's far more imperative that Davis starts early. Davis will play at RT this season. He mostly was a LT at Rutgers but also played RT and RG ...

I absolutely love this statement about our O-Line though:

Quote:
[Comment From brian, sfbrian, sf: ]
HI Matt, The niners have to address the secondary with their next pick right? We got the saints in week 2!
Friday April 23, 2010 11:15 brian, sf
11:16

MattB_49:
Don't worry. The 49ers offense will be on the field for 55 minutes with Davis and Iupati leading the way. Someone needs to hook up a diesel horn to the Candlestick PA system ... HONK! HONK!

And you know this man!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
MM article:

Quote:
[Comment From 49erJim49erJim: ]
Do you see both linemen as 2010 opening day starters and if so will Davis be the LT or the RT?
Friday April 23, 2010 11:16 49erJim

MattB_49:
No -- Singletary was cautious in saying he didn't expect both to be Week 1 starters. With Baas in the fold, I think it's far more imperative that Davis starts early. Davis will play at RT this season. He mostly was a LT at Rutgers but also played RT and RG ...

I absolutely love this statement about our O-Line though:

Quote:
[Comment From brian, sfbrian, sf: ]
HI Matt, The niners have to address the secondary with their next pick right? We got the saints in week 2!
Friday April 23, 2010 11:15 brian, sf
11:16

MattB_49:
Don't worry. The 49ers offense will be on the field for 55 minutes with Davis and Iupati leading the way. Someone needs to hook up a diesel horn to the Candlestick PA system ... HONK! HONK!

LOL! I love that last statement!
Share 49ersWebzone