There are 152 users in the forums

Navorro Bowman is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

LB Navorro Bowman
I have a question.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/31/10/Maiocco-49ers-Fall-for-Bowmans-Speed/landing.html?full_args=05/31/10/Maiocco-49ers-Fall-for-Bowmans-Speed/landing&blockID=244409&feedID=5936

This is the latest in a string of article's about bowman's "lack of size" to play the ted position. Now call me crazy, but isn't he the same weight, 242 as spikes? Do these two inches really make that much of a difference? Or is the 242 fudged up? Just looking at the guy he seems plenty big to play the ted.
Originally posted by VA49er:
I have a question.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/31/10/Maiocco-49ers-Fall-for-Bowmans-Speed/landing.html?full_args=05/31/10/Maiocco-49ers-Fall-for-Bowmans-Speed/landing&blockID=244409&feedID=5936

This is the latest in a string of article's about bowman's "lack of size" to play the ted position. Now call me crazy, but isn't he the same weight, 242 as spikes? Do these two inches really make that much of a difference? Or is the 242 fudged up? Just looking at the guy he seems plenty big to play the ted.

May be near the same weight, but their builds are different. And the roles they've played on the field are really different, which is more the reason why people question how quickly Bowman will be able to fill in for or take over from Spikes. At Penn State, Bowman didn't take on blocks, he worked his way around them to attack the ball carrier. He has good instincts, quick reactions, and pretty good speed and quickness, and with the proper coaching, should grow into a formidable pro linebacker.

Slight digression, since Maiocco mentioned competition with McKillop for an ILB backup role. Last year, one of the coaches criticized McKillop for "thinking too much" rather than playing with the instinct he showed at Pitt. I think this is natural for a player who was more or less dominant in his position at college and then is competing with players who, on the whole, are larger, faster, and more experienced than what he was accustomed to. IOW, he's trying to compensate by looking for ways to outsmart his opponents -- not unlike the way Singletary, who was no Lawrence Taylor, ultimately succeeded with the Bears -- rather than just hustle and stick his nose in at the point of attack. If he picks this up and plays the way his coaches want him to, he could make a very good backup for Spikes.
Originally posted by VA49er:
I have a question.

I would agree that he is big enough, or more, will be by the time he is expected to see significant action at the TED. He will likely serve as a good special teamer this year, but he could probably thrown on another 5 or 10 pounds of muscle over the next year and a few months. He has the frame to bulk up, and the luxury of having essentially 2 off-seasons to learn the system before he is "expected" to start.

If he gets time as the TED at all this year, consider it a sign of things to come.
Where is he
Originally posted by jta854:
Where is he

hes so fast you cant see him. he's everywhere though
i haven't really noticed him...
They said on KNBR he aggravated his shoulder injury. They didn't think it was major.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
Did Bowman play against the Colts? His name wasn't on the pregame unavailble list.

Originally posted by rum53:
Did Bowman play against the Colts? His name wasn't on the pregame unavailble list.

He didn't play.
Share 49ersWebzone