LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ancient9r:
Originally posted by 228niner:
I'm loving the pick more each day

The two major areas of concern prior to the draft were offensive line and corner. The offensive line was covered, but when our pick came around in the 2nd, Mays was the best available "defensive back". As Manusky stated you can't teach speed, but he left out you "can't teach height". Mays is a freak, his speed and height matches up well with the elite wide outs and with his speed he's capable of recovering from a misread. For now, his best fit would be at corner. Someone stated that instincts can't be taught, but it's up to the individual, time and continuity for it to take effect. He is aware of his deficiencies (it's not due to limited capacity), he has shown a willingness to learn and adjust. He should be allowed to adjust in the NFL as a corner, where he can focus on one player and provide run support when necessary.

Many people here are upset about this pick because he doesn't have, "ball hawking" skills. But, let's think about what Mays was actually asked to do in college.

When you watch film, of any kind, on USC last year you see they were almost always in a cover 1 man, cover 3 or, cover 3 man coverage. Mays was never asked to do hardly anything - that doesn't mean he can't. he was asked to play center field and knock the chocolate out of any receiver coming over the middle.

The video someone posted of Golden Tate supposedly "owning" taylor mays is a prime example (btw mays did not get owned). USC was in a cover 3 base defense. Which means the corners are responsible for the deepest man in their 3rd of the field and the safety is responsible for the deepest man in between the hash marks. The fact that Mays was able to even make it 20 yards out from where he was playing to put the hit on Tate is remarkable. He makes up that kind of ground on one of the top receivers in college against one of the better QB's in college to almost make a play - if that's not a rangy safety I don't know what is.

Just because someone was never asked to do something doesnt' mean they can't learn.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:
Many people here are upset about this pick because he doesn't have, "ball hawking" skills. But, let's think about what Mays was actually asked to do in college.

When you watch film, of any kind, on USC last year you see they were almost always in a cover 1 man, cover 3 or, cover 3 man coverage. Mays was never asked to do hardly anything - that doesn't mean he can't. he was asked to play center field and knock the chocolate out of any receiver coming over the middle.

The video someone posted of Golden Tate supposedly "owning" taylor mays is a prime example (btw mays did not get owned). USC was in a cover 3 base defense. Which means the corners are responsible for the deepest man in their 3rd of the field and the safety is responsible for the deepest man in between the hash marks. The fact that Mays was able to even make it 20 yards out from where he was playing to put the hit on Tate is remarkable. He makes up that kind of ground on one of the top receivers in college against one of the better QB's in college to almost make a play - if that's not a rangy safety I don't know what is.

Just because someone was never asked to do something doesnt' mean they can't learn.

Good job breaking down the cover 3 base.
Originally posted by thuglife619:
Originally posted by thuglife619:

Same here, Just him being on the field makes our defense better. You really think WR will feel safe going across the middle. Im okay with losing some picks as long as he jars balls loose, makes receivers drop the ball. Him and willis controlling the middle will have a huge effect on our defense. Trust me if the coaches really think his cover skills are really that bad they will not put him in position to fail(covering the slot). Coaches Get paid to put players in position to suceed and Mays is no different. Manusky will find every way to take advantage of his freakish speed and ability to lay the wood without being a liability on D.

One more note...I really wanna see mays come off the edge and blitz a couple times a game.

Then this should make you happy

-Mays said he's learning both free and strong safety (their interchangeable with the 49ers), and defensive coordinator Greg Manusky would like to see him blitz more than he did at USC. "I look forward to that," Mays said, "I've been studying how safeties blitz."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=62627
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:

Originally posted by Ancient9r:

The two major areas of concern prior to the draft were offensive line and corner. The offensive line was covered, but when our pick came around in the 2nd, Mays was the best available "defensive back". As Manusky stated you can't teach speed, but he left out you "can't teach height". Mays is a freak, his speed and height matches up well with the elite wide outs and with his speed he's capable of recovering from a misread. For now, his best fit would be at corner. Someone stated that instincts can't be taught, but it's up to the individual, time and continuity for it to take effect. He is aware of his deficiencies (it's not due to limited capacity), he has shown a willingness to learn and adjust. He should be allowed to adjust in the NFL as a corner, where he can focus on one player and provide run support when necessary.

f**kin wow
Originally posted by PTulini:

Taylor Mays Going for the Ball!

Dang, that kid is huge for a DB. If he can translate those skills and abilities to "ball-hawking", we may have something here. I have read he is very studious and has a great work ethic.

I think he just may surprise some people. Michael Lewis with 4.3 speed at 230 and some serious reach. What an upgrade from a sheer physical stand point. Let's hope those genetics work overtime!

Niners could use another intimidating hitter at safety the way Jeff Fuller used to lay people out (before his severe injury).
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by MrFantastic:
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Just not good value for an in-the-box safety at number 49. Especially someone falling on team boards this offseason.

I will state again: In a passing, big-play league, you need as many solid coverage guys as possible. The Niners missed an opportunity to shore up this area in the draft.

True what really concerns me about his is watching tape the guy doesn't tackle well. He just throws his shoulder at people. Gets him some serious big hits in college but 2 plays against Golden Tate he went for the hit instead of making a play on the ball and Tate still caught it. the second play he threw his shoulder in at Tate and Mays went down and Tate walked in the end zone. He's gonna be in the box he must learn to wrap up.

First. I'm not a USC guy... not even a Pac 10 guy (KSU - BIG12) so maybe you west coast guys can help me out if I'm wrong here.

From what I've gathered... His soph year he was making a lot more plays on the ball. He has an issue with Carroll regarding what he was asked to do on the field and how that affected his draft status.

Is it possible that Carroll asked him to be an intimidator and go head hunting. Not to worry about the ball or even blowing some coverages because of the mental toll his big hits would take on opposing receivers? I can totally see where someone like Carroll would ask this of a player like Mays on a team like USC. Carroll felt his team was better than every team they played therefore they could take chances on blowing a few plays if they could get in the head of the opposing players... now receivers are constantly hearing footseps.

He has freakish tools. The Golden Tate highlites have been in the zone multiple times, but I contend on that first play he was either in cover 1 as the lone deep safety or cover 3 in the middle (kinda hard to tell from the limited views I've seen) regardless he covered a LOT of ground just to be close to the ball. It looks to me like he is in place many times to make a play, but instead goes for the knock out... I can't help but wonder if that was coaching.

On a side not I seem to remember that a knock on Jerry Rice coming out was that he refused to block... in reallity his coaches at MVSU specifically told him NOT to block because they didn't want him to risk injury. But you don't know that just by watching film.

You are right he is always around the ball. He said that going for the big hit was what he was asked to do. Like I said before at the Senior Bowl they told him to look for the ball, and what happened? He had 2 INTs that week. But now we will see for ourselves if he can really do it or not I belive he can.

Now regarding his tackling yes he needs to wrap up more but I've watched Berry and Thomas play and they both do the same thing yet nobody wants to bring that up as a concern for them Mays atleast doesn't get ran over. It's such a concern yet Mays had more tackles than both of them. I really think people are just trying to find anything they can to knock this guy.

There is also an incident where Lott himself (I believe) grabbed his face mask and told him to take someone's head off (paraphrasing). I also like how people totally disregard that when he WAS coached up, he performed instantly getting 2 INT's. Obviously he is more then coachable and he just needs to tweak his mental approach, learn to channel his aggression and work on technique. That's ALL coaching right there esp. at the NFL level where it really counts!

Seriously when this kid lights someone up in a 49ers uniform. All the people who hated him will love this guy at SS. He was coached to hit and he excelled to a level that have HOFers excited to help him improve (Lott & Sing.) When he gets coached up to cover he could be the most complete safety in this years class.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by 49erDan:
Lets not pretend that all of the "pundits" who have been our biggest informers on this guy know what the hell there talking about. Most of the so called professionals like Kiper and Mayock are completley full of it.

They went like 6 for 32 in there mock drafts!

Just have to comment on this. After Jacksonville reached for Alualu and then the flurry of trades where teams began drafting for need (Ryan Matthews to SD at 12???), I don't think anyone's mock had a chance. Same effect as a few upsets in the NCAA Tournament. I won't defend Kiper, but I think you'll find that Mayock's assessments are nearly as predictive of success in the league are our own OTC's and MadDog's.

I know but I guess it rubbed me the wrong way when the media tore into mays like that. They grilled him like he was picked in the middle of first. I think that the networks had video all ready prepared to talk smack and the bows where already strung. They didnt tear into one other player in the second like that at all. I think for where we got him is good value...wouldnt say great, but ya cant hate.

Taylor Mays pwns n00bs.
Taylor Mays Rookie Diary, 1st Entry- http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/Mays-Rookie-Diary-First-Entry/8faaa97b-8866-4bad-9715-e1d964d5340f
Taylor Mays says he doesn't have a Twitter or Facebook etc...
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Yes he does have a Twitter account. RealTaylorMays

Quote:
RealTaylorMays: You Know The Only Weather Better Than SoCal Is Definetly Here In San Francisco.

Quote:
RealTaylorMays: Love All You People Supporting Me, And To All You Haters Your The Ones That Keep Me Going Haha So Keep Doing What Your Doing.

Quote:
RealTaylorMays: OTAs Are Going Great It Was A Bit Confusing At First But Me And The Other Rookies Are Definetly Getting The Jist Of Things And Learning Fast.

Quote:
RealTaylorMays: Calling It A Night, Goodnight Niner Nation And Can Wait To See Yall In The Pre-Season Im Working Hard For You Guys!

Who knows???
[ Edited by PTulini on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:57 PM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Yes he does have a Twitter account. RealTaylorMays

Quote:
RealTaylorMays: You Know The Only Weather Better Than SoCal Is Definetly Here In San Francisco.

Quote:
RealTaylorMays: Love All You People Supporting Me, And To All You Haters Your The Ones That Keep Me Going Haha So Keep Doing What Your Doing.

Quote:
RealTaylorMays: OTAs Are Going Great It Was A Bit Confusing At First But Me And The Other Rookies Are Definetly Getting The Jist Of Things And Learning Fast.

Quote:
RealTaylorMays: Calling It A Night, Goodnight Niner Nation And Can Wait To See Yall In The Pre-Season Im Working Hard For You Guys!

obviously yo didnt read his Diary on 49ers.com
Share 49ersWebzone