LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
im guessing Mays wears #20, what do you guys think?

Robinson should give his number to Mays, #24. Since he can't wear another ex USC 49ers' number, #24 is the next best thing to #42.
i didn't really like the pick mainly due to the lack of cover skills, but reading all this about how he wasn't really coached for coverage and basically told to hit has made me feel a bit better.

Definitely like the speed and hitting ability. Get him some cover skills to make him more rounded and he should be a beast. Will easily fill Michael Lewis' role. I'm optimistic. Lets hope he becomes a nightmare for all the other teams in the league.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
It's not who the Niners wanted, but they got'im and I'm rooting for him.

They wanted Nate Allen.

When Allen was picked Baalke looked up at the ceiling, then did a "damnit" flex...and then the room went into work mode, trying to figure something out. Singletary seemed unhappy as well.

When it came time for the pick, they were not excited, and casually shook hands and Baalke took his sheet from in front of him and crumpled it up and threw it away, disappointedly.

Let's see what he can do.

*edit - and now that I think about it, I don't think Sing left the room because there was nothing more for him to say or because he was upset, but rather to go somewhere quieter to get ready to make the phone call to Mays.

Just curiosity cause I dont know either kid, but how does Allen with a 71 overall "value rating" become a better pick than Mays, rated at 24 overall?

Mayocks Top 100

I mean, Mayock doesn't know it all, but to be that far off??

Also, Mays would have been at least a top 15 last year if Carroll hadn't convinced him to stay one more year.
Great pickup. Dude is a warrior
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for bigtony2tone.
I hated Mays as a 1st rounder due to his lacking coverage ability. But at #49, the value was definitely there.

After reading his whole issue with Pete Carroll, I'm liking this dude. And from what I've heard time and time again, USC doesn't seem to coach players very well, particularly DBs. Apparently they wanted Mays to be a head-hunter.

It doesn't take away the fact that he has tight hips and is slow in transition. I hope our coaches can get him fixed. And at least he's not a dick.
[ Edited by bigtony2tone on Apr 24, 2010 at 12:01 AM ]
meh, ive never been a Mays fan.

i guess a 2nd round pick isnt as bad as if we took him in the 1st like people wanted a year ago, but still. too early for a guy who only had 5 picks in 4 years in college imo. we will see.
Well after reading you guys' comments and Mays interviews I realized I was wrong about Mays. He has a great attitude and it seems like he wasn't taught well at USC. I have faith in Sing coaching up Mays to help him track the ball and wrap up better. Dang it I hate been wrong but I was. I hope he turns out to be our next Lott..
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

Robinson should give his number to Mays, #24. Since he can't wear another ex USC 49ers' number, #24 is the next best thing to #42.

um...or Special Teams captain Michael Robinson can say "24 is taken kid, pick something else".
Originally posted by Niners99:

um...or Special Teams captain Michael Robinson can say "24 is taken kid, pick something else".

Exactly.

Mays will probably wear 26, Sean Taylor's old number at Da U.
Originally posted by Juniorminime:
I think all the WRs who will be playing us this season are $hittin in their pants now when they have to go across the middle with Mays and Goldston waiting for them.....I love the physicality of these 2....

No doubt

With 2 hard hitting safeties with speed the 49ers backfield will be feared.

Love the pick

meh, ive never been a Mays fan.

i guess a 2nd round pick isnt as bad as if we took him in the 1st like people wanted a year ago, but still. too early for a guy who only had 5 picks in 4 years in college imo. we will see.

No worries,Dashon will handle the int's
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Exactly.

But the living legend Mark Roman has that number lol
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Exactly.

But the living legend Mark Roman has that number lol

You mean he HAD that number.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
So we drafted a cheap version of Michael Lewis.

seriously, wtf r u talking about lol
  • cools
  • Veteran

Was thinkin same thing, But M'Rob is gonna make him pay some serious $$$ for it

Somtimes safteys are called "Center fielders" and we had a pretty good one who wore #24 in this town also
Share 49ersWebzone