There are 189 users in the forums

Anthony "Bam" Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
http://twitter.com/IamAnthonyDavis

Quote:
Who made these 4 letter words we call curse words that are frowned upon like masturbating on a plane. lol just my thoughts. I kno. #random

Maiocco: 'No Bad Tape' on 49ers Davis
From June 8...

Quote:
IamAnthonyDavis: I have dedicated the next 15 yrs of my life to being the best Tackle in the world. Sacrafice. Hard work. Im Humbled by the oppurtunity.
Originally posted by PTulini:
From June 8...

Quote:
IamAnthonyDavis: I have dedicated the next 15 yrs of my life to being the best Tackle in the world. Sacrafice. Hard work. Im Humbled by the oppurtunity.

He's got a long way to go to be the next Anthony Munoz or Walter Jones. But that would be amazing! Go for it Davis. Do us proud!
I have no basis for this, but this pick feels very similar to the Balmer pick a couple years ago.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I have no basis for this, but this pick feels very similar to the Balmer pick a couple years ago.

T Anthony Davis
  • SportinWood
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

yea wtf
Barrows: Defenders Weigh-in on Rookie OT Anthony Davis

Quote:
June 16, 2010

Defenders weigh in on Anthony Davis

Some of the Tweets out of OTAs have left the impression that the 49ers' top draft pick, right tackle Anthony Davis, is struggling. That's not the case. It's just that it's more newsworthy, or in this case Tweetworthy, when an outside linebacker swoops in and disrupts the quarterback. And it's even more Tweetworthy when the player the linebacker beat is the top draft pick. Newspapers don't print stories when the plane lands safely, after all.

In reality, Davis' performance has been mixed, which is exactly what you'd expect from a 20-year-old rookie who played left tackle last season. His conditioning has improved from last month but still needs work. Yes, he's allowed linebacker Martail Burnett - hardly a household name - to get past him a couple of times. But he also stonewalled Ahmad Brooks in a practice last week and did a nice job pulling and leading the way on a Glen Coffee screen today.

Said Mike Singletary on the progress of Davis and fellow first rounder Mike Iupati: "It's going to be an up-and-down process. ... Right now, they're trying to learn. They're trying to learn the offense. Once we get into training camp we'll have a much better idea where they are because now you've got to play fast."

I went looking for more perspective on Davis this week and found the three guys who probably can give the best analysis. So what do you think of the rook?

Ahmad Brooks: "I mean, the first couple of days he wasn't looking all that good. But he's getting better just like everybody else. I mean, he's a rookie. Him being our no. 1 pick, that's why we're going to go after him, especially the defensive line. So he's been getting a lot of attention from the defensive line and the linebackers."

Q: Can you see why the 49ers drafted him?

AB: "He has potential to be a great player. We'll see. He just has to keep working."

Martail Burnett: "I think he's getting better. I think the hardest part for him is, like every rookie, transitioning from what you learned in college to what you have to know here. I think the hardest part for any rookie is learning the scheme. Especially against this defense. He's coming from a college scheme that's probably pretty basic. Here we're everything. We're up. We're down. You know, we're a 3-4 defense. One minute I'm a linebacker, the next minute I'm an end."

MB: "Oh yeah. He moves. He's a big guy who can move. And if he latches onto you, it's pretty much over with. But I think what he brings to the table can really help us. I think he's really athletic for his size. He's really strong. And he's only going to get better."

Parys Haralson: "You know, it's hard to come in as a rookie, but I think he's getting better. He's working hard every day. I'd say he's got some things to work on, but he's got a good attitude and he's working to get better. He's got a strong upper body. He's working in that weight room getting stronger, and that's all you can ask him to do. He is making progress, a lot of progress."

PH: "He can move. He can move his feet. He's got a strong grip, strong arms. He's got all the tools. He's just got to work to put it together."

-- Matt Barrows

Quote:
June 16, 2010

Some of the Tweets out of OTAs have left the impression that the 49ers' top draft pick, right tackle Anthony Davis, is struggling. That's not the case. It's just that it's more newsworthy, or in this case Tweetworthy, when an outside linebacker swoops in and disrupts the quarterback. And it's even more Tweetworthy when the player the linebacker beat is the top draft pick. Newspapers don't print stories when the plane lands safely, after all.

In reality, Davis' performance has been mixed, which is exactly what you'd expect from a 20-year-old rookie who played left tackle last season. His conditioning has improved from last month but still needs work. Yes, he's allowed linebacker Martail Burnett - hardly a household name - to get past him a couple of times. But he also stonewalled Ahmad Brooks in a practice last week and did a nice job pulling and leading the way on a Glen Coffee screen today.

Said Mike Singletary on the progress of Davis and fellow first rounder Mike Iupati: "It's going to be an up-and-down process. ... Right now, they're trying to learn. They're trying to learn the offense. Once we get into training camp we'll have a much better idea where they are because now you've got to play fast."

I went looking for more perspective on Davis this week and found the three guys who probably can give the best analysis. So what do you think of the rook?

Ahmad Brooks: "I mean, the first couple of days he wasn't looking all that good. But he's getting better just like everybody else. I mean, he's a rookie. Him being our no. 1 pick, that's why we're going to go after him, especially the defensive line. So he's been getting a lot of attention from the defensive line and the linebackers."

AB: "He has potential to be a great player. We'll see. He just has to keep working."

Martail Burnett: "I think he's getting better. I think the hardest part for him is, like every rookie, transitioning from what you learned in college to what you have to know here. I think the hardest part for any rookie is learning the scheme. Especially against this defense. He's coming from a college scheme that's probably pretty basic. Here we're everything. We're up. We're down. You know, we're a 3-4 defense. One minute I'm a linebacker, the next minute I'm an end."

MB: "Oh yeah. He moves. He's a big guy who can move. And if he latches onto you, it's pretty much over with. But I think what he brings to the table can really help us. I think he's really athletic for his size. He's really strong. And he's only going to get better."

Parys Haralson: "You know, it's hard to come in as a rookie, but I think he's getting better. He's working hard every day. I'd say he's got some things to work on, but he's got a good attitude and he's working to get better. He's got a strong upper body. He's working in that weight room getting stronger, and that's all you can ask him to do. He is making progress, a lot of progress."

PH: "He can move. He can move his feet. He's got a strong grip, strong arms. He's got all the tools. He's just got to work to put it together."

-- Matt Barrows

All rookies struggle. I say give him at least a good 2 years before he becomes a good player.

Originally posted by bigmike55:

Quote:
June 16, 2010

-- Matt Barrows

All rookies struggle. I say give him at least a good 2 years before he becomes a good player.

As the 11th over all pick that I flew to NY, NY to see, he better not take two years to be good. I expect him to be good this year and great in two. There is no reason we shouldn't at least expect him to perform to the level of a Joe Staley, a low 20s pick.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Quote:
June 16, 2010

-- Matt Barrows

As the 11th over all pick that I flew to NY, NY to see, he better not take two years to be good. I expect him to be good this year and great in two. There is no reason we shouldn't at least expect him to perform to the level of a Joe Staley, a low 20s pick.

Thats cool man. How was it? Do they charge you to watch the draft there? If so, how much?
Quote:
• The Niners ran their first 1-on-1 blocking drills of the offseason. Without full pads, they were more a test of technique than power or aggression, but I can offer a few observations. Of the two rookies, G Mike Iupati was up and down, while T Anthony Davis looked quite good; that is something of a reversal from many team periods this spring.

LINK

Why do I feel like starting 2 rookies is a bad idea?

This is why I was against getting 2 OL in the first. It just doesn't seem safe to start 2 rookies. Yes I know other teams have done it...but we don't have a QB with what you'd call a fast release either...

Lets hope it works out but I don't see our OL being THAT much better.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Why do I feel like starting 2 rookies is a bad idea?

This is why I was against getting 2 OL in the first. It just doesn't seem safe to start 2 rookies. Yes I know other teams have done it...but we don't have a QB with what you'd call a fast release either...

Lets hope it works out but I don't see our OL being THAT much better.

I think Mike Iupati will start at LG by week 1, but Anthony Davis at RT... I'm not so sure? I just hope we have someone better than Adam Snyder!
Share 49ersWebzone