LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

Anthony "Bam" Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Funny. Imagine if we stayed at 13 and some other team jumped in front of us to get Davis. I guarantee we'd be hearing about "why didn't we just trade up? Our front office teh suxors!!!!!" for the next five years. Bottom line is this, we NEEDED O-line in the worst way and we attacked that problem head on. No, Iupati and Davis aren't sexy picks because they can't return INT's or break out of the backfield for 80+ yards.

But they fulfilled not only a want, but a NEED.

Obviously we saw something in this kid we really like to trade up for him. Why even take the risk of someone moving in front of you if you really believe that this kid is 'it'? It was even reported after the draft that there were in fact other teams looking to trade up (in front of us) to get him. It was the RIGHT DECISION. Get over it.

I swear San Fran has the most fickle fans....
Originally posted by baltien:
Funny. Imagine if we stayed at 13 and some other team jumped in front of us to get Davis. I guarantee we'd be hearing about "why didn't we just trade up? Our front office teh suxors!!!!!" for the next five years. Bottom line is this, we NEEDED O-line in the worst way and we attacked that problem head on. No, Iupati and Davis aren't sexy picks because they can't return INT's or break out of the backfield for 80+ yards.

Obviously we saw something in this kid we really like to trade up for him. Why even take the risk of someone moving in front of you if you really believe that this kid is 'it'? It was even reported after the draft that there were in fact other teams looking to trade up (in front of us) to get him. It was the RIGHT DECISION. Get over it.

And quite a few spin doctors that would make Rush Limbaugh proud.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Such as?
Most Niner fans have got to be pretty pleased with Round 1. I really like the Iupati selection at #17, and I think that Davis can be a dominant OT in this league. Way to really address the teams biggest concern.

Davis is still a bit of gamble (IMHO), but let's be honest...90% of every kid who gets drafted is a gamble in some way, shape or form. His upside is limitless, but I think he'll need some time to learn and adjust to the men's game.

Initially, I felt that jumping up two spots - at the cost of a 4th round pick - was ludicrous. Neither team in front of us had Davis targeted. But we aren't in the War Room and offers and scenarios fly fast and furious during that 10 minute pick period. Some team(s) must have had Davis on their short list. Time will tell if it was the prudent move.

Feel good about Day 1. Still some top-flight talent available today.
Originally posted by FnkyPhantom:
Most Niner fans have got to be pretty pleased with Round 1. I really like the Iupati selection at #17, and I think that Davis can be a dominant OT in this league. Way to really address the teams biggest concern.

Davis is still a bit of gamble (IMHO), but let's be honest...90% of every kid who gets drafted is a gamble in some way, shape or form. His upside is limitless, but I think he'll need some time to learn and adjust to the men's game.

Initially, I felt that jumping up two spots - at the cost of a 4th round pick - was ludicrous. Neither team in front of us had Davis targeted. But we aren't in the War Room and offers and scenarios fly fast and furious during that 10 minute pick period. Some team(s) must have had Davis on their short list. Time will tell if it was the prudent move.

Feel good about Day 1. Still some top-flight talent available today.

Wasn't the point that both teams ahead of us had indicated that they were interested in trading? So any other team, with different needs, could suddenly appear ahead of us
Originally posted by nickytheniner:
Trading up two picks and losing a 4th round pic was just flat out dumb to get davis. yes we did target him but theres no way the broncos or dolphins would have taken him and if the broncos traded there pic and they did pick davis we could have picked iupati with the 13th and bulaga with the 7th

Hindsight is always 20/20. The Broncos and Dolphins went on record several times saying that they wanted to trade out of their 1st round spots, which is exactly what both did. I don't know if another team would have traded to get Davis, but I can guarantee that the 11th spot was going to be traded anyway. For the 49ers, why take that risk if this kid has huge potential and Bulaga wasnt high on many people's draft boards??

With what we know now, it would have been a reach to get Bulaga at 13 or 17 because nobody else wanted him until 22! I like the pick and what I like even more is the fact that the 49ers are finally growing some nutz and taking care of business!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Such as?

Not going to name names(don't need the warning %), but there are quite a few guys on this site that willfully misconstrue facts to support their own ridiculous speculation(because there is nothing holding it up otherwise). I guess to start drama, but who knows? I agree that the players we drafted were the right ones for the teams needs, I am happy with Davis and Iupati.
i like the davis pick, just dont want to see him in #75 cus if he struggles it will take 2 seconds for the jonas jennings remarks
Originally posted by crabman82:
i like the davis pick, just dont want to see him in #75 cus if he struggles it will take 2 seconds for the jonas jennings remarks

Hey crabman.

I'm bummed to lose the 4th rounder, but this post is spot on. Well done!

I'm VERY HIGH on this pick. Don't think we needed to trade up to get him, I think we should have let the cards play out and we probably would have got him at 13 (Especially with Bulaga still out there).

Not that I'm upset about losing the 4th rounder, I think we could have used that to trade up from 17 to grab Earl Thomas. Instead we have to see him twice a year.

But I will live with Iupati. He should be good for a long time to come and I trust Brown and Solari to make him the best he can be. The 49ers biggest weakness, the offensive line, became a strength in less than an hour last night!
[ Edited by Gavintech on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:46 AM ]
once more singletary and crew have made the conservative choice. not sexy and though conservative it could be a bust if either dodt start for a year. But we should now have the tools be able to run that elusive ''SMASHMOUTH STYLE''
I LOVE THESE PICKS!

THE OLINE IS THE FOUNDATION OF A TEAM.

-NO OLINE-NO TIME FOR THE QB, -NO REST FOR THE DEFENSE,- DEFENSE GETS TIRED, -WE LOSE.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I LOVE THESE PICKS!

THE OLINE IS THE FOUNDATION OF A TEAM.

-NO OLINE-NO TIME FOR THE QB, -NO REST FOR THE DEFENSE,- DEFENSE GETS TIRED, -WE LOSE.

And you sir, have won the 'Post of the Day' award.

Bravo
For those of you who are complaining about us moving up for this pick... Think about this, Denver was looking for a trade and everybody had a good idea of who we were going to pick. As a mater of fact both the #11 and 12 picks were traded. If we had stayed at 13, its likely that Davis wouldn't be a Niner right now...
Share 49ersWebzone