LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Anthony "Bam" Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://bayarea.sbnation.com/san-francisco-49ers/2011/10/23/2507768/lions-defensive-coordinator-gunther-cunningham-anthony-davis-twitter

Like their (right) tackle, I don't even know his name, he's talking about blocking everybody," Cunningham said. "Well, I looked at the tape. I might make a highlight tape and put it on Twitter so everyone can see what he did. It just really -- the more I talk about this, the madder I get because, I just want to play them again."
Hey, anybody can say whatever they want about AD, but go look at his game films from first few games to last few. It is an extraordinary example of what a top 2 or 3 HC can do, if he knows how to coach OC, DC, OL, DL, TEs, WR, RB, QB, LB,DB, and ST. And guess what? Coach Harbaugh was exactly the tonic this team needed all along: he just kind of came along with 3 first rd OLs, a 2nd rd OL, probably the 4 best LB unit in the league, Frank and hunter, Akers added to Lee plus Ginn, and the real surprise is that the DL, a strong suit, got LOTS better.

Biggest deal was the OL, and JH coached them up individually and personally. He IS a real Bill Walsh HC. Knows how to coach every position on the squad, and we had a team that needed coaching up everywhere, but most notably, OL, DB, and QB. AD is part of that package, and his play since 6 weeks ago is off the chart WAY better now than then. He even has gotten some great downfield blocks last 2 games which surprised the heck out of me. AD is going to be great, currently he is good and getting better by the game.
Davis makes me yell at the TV atleast twice a game. He has a knack for getting false starts at the worst possible times. In the run game, he's a stud. In pass protection, he struggles at times, but he neutralizes people when he gets his hands on them. It look like he's dropped some weight (like most of our Olineman did) because he's a little quicker out of his stance. Still, that's his problem right now. He know that speed rushers can get around him if he doesn't kick out as soon as the ball is snapped, which is why he keeps anticipating the snap and jumping early.

I'd have to say that Staley has been the most disappointing player on the O-line this season.
Heard Suh and the Lions talking sh*t when Matt Ryan on the ground injured. And Schwartz wasn't classless going after Harbaugh last week Now I know why Anthony Davis went all Cujo on the Lions defensive line.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 23, 2011 at 8:02 PM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
So how is Anthony Davis playing these days? I don't hear his name called, so that is probably a good sign. He received a compliment from Rex Ryan as well today.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
So how is Anthony Davis playing these days? I don't hear his name called, so that is probably a good sign. He received a compliment from Rex Ryan as well today.

Someone posted a stat that through 2 or 3 games he is tied for 1st in the league for pass blocking efficiency and I believe so far he is only responsibly for .5 or 1.5 sacks of our 10+ sacks lol.
Originally posted by sfout:
Someone posted a stat that through 2 or 3 games he is tied for 1st in the league for pass blocking efficiency and I believe so far he is only responsibly for .5 or 1.5 sacks of our 10+ sacks lol.

AD certainly seems to be playing better than Staley these days. IMHO Staley is the most overrated Niner by a long shot. But he normally gets a free pass because he's one of the leaders in the lockerroom and everybody loves the guy...

Usually has about 3 pass pro fails per game, but they haven't been as directly linked to sacks taken.. just a contribution to negative plays. Can really be nasty in the run game, but has a handful of head-scratchers when he could dominate but lets up prior to the whistle.

Hard to complain about him when Staley's on the other side struggling badly at times, and I'll just say it.. Boone still must get better.
Davis has played well, but keep in mind, Staley went against Clay Matthews and Jared Allen.
Originally posted by pete98146:
AD certainly seems to be playing better than Staley these days. IMHO Staley is the most overrated Niner by a long shot. But he normally gets a free pass because he's one of the leaders in the lockerroom and everybody loves the guy...

Staley is underrated if anything.

Anthony Davis is playing at a Pro Bowl level. Him and Boone on the right are the bulwarks of the line. Staley and Goodwin, the players making the most money on the line, are our weak spots.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Anthony Davis is playing at a Pro Bowl level. Him and Boone on the right are the bulwarks of the line. Staley and Goodwin, the players making the most money on the line, are our weak spots.

I agree very much with this assessment on the o-line.
Iupati is sometimes very hot-and-cold. Still, I think he plays very well more often than badly.
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch #49ers Frank Gore on RT Anthony Davis: "These first three games he's been balling."
"From March on, we've seen nothing but improvement fundamentally, mentally, recognition-wise," Roman said. "Anthony is playing at a high level."
[ Edited by SFrush on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM ]
i love me some A Davis
Share 49ersWebzone