LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Why you can expect the annual early Oct. to mid-Nov. losing streak in '10

Shop Find 49ers gear online
While most people are focusing on the "tough" beginning of the schedule, the first thing I always look at are the games in October and November. Why? Because it seems like the last 4-5 years we have always lost 4 of 6, 5 of 7, 3 of 4, during this time.

Basically we have lost just enough games that time of year to barely be in contention around thanksgiving and then shoot ourselves in the foot with a loss in late November or early December.

Why this could happen again is the fact that we have the longest road trip of the season during this time. To Carolina and our "home game" from England. I think both of those games are coin tosses to who can win them.

It is nice to see the Rams and the Bucs on our schedule when we come back. Assuming me beat the Raiders, there is no excuse to not win those three games. But if one slips away, it could really hurt us down the stretch.

The last reason why we might slip is because we have done well in the recent past against our own division. And as Chris Chase from Yahoo points out There are 256 NFL games per year, 96 of which are indradivisional matchups Instead of spreading those 96 games out over 17 weeks, as usual, almost 30 percent of them will be compressed into the final 11 percent of the schedule. Translation: We play who we matchup best with all at the end of the season this year.

Not only that but our late November prime time game has been rated #2 on the Worst Primetime games to watch this year list.

The only way we make it out of this funk is if Jimmy Raye wakes up and starts being more balanced and aggressive. Last summer all we heard about was we were going to be a smash mouth running team. This off season we have heard how we are going to be a balance attack team. I will believe it when I see it, but that right there will give us the best chance to win, when we have struggled the most in the past.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Apr 21, 2010 at 7:38 AM ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:
While most people are focusing on the "tough" beginning of the schedule, the first thing I always look at are the games in October and November. Why? Because it seems like the last 4-5 years we have always lost 4 of 6, 5 of 7, 3 of 4, during this time.

Basically we have lost just enough games that time of year to barely be in contention around thanksgiving and then shoot ourselves in the foot with a loss in late November or early December.

Why this could happen again is the fact that we have the longest road trip of the season during this time. To Carolina and our "home game" from England. I think both of those games are coin tosses to who can win them.

It is nice to see the Rams and the Bucs on our schedule when we come back. Assuming me beat the Raiders, there is no excuse to not win those three games. But if one slips away, it could really hurt us down the stretch.

The last reason why we might slip is because we have done well in the recent past against our own division. And as Chris Chase from Yahoo points out There are 256 NFL games per year, 96 of which are indradivisional matchups Instead of spreading those 96 games out over 17 weeks, as usual, almost 30 percent of them will be compressed into the final 11 percent of the schedule. Translation: We play who we matchup best with all at the end of the season this year.

Not only that but our late November prime time game has been rated #2 on the Worst Primetime games to watch this year list.

The only way we make it out of this funk is if Jimmy Raye wakes up and starts being more balanced and aggressive. Last summer all we heard about was we were going to be a smash mouth running team. This off season we have heard how we are going to be a balance attack team. I will believe it when I see it, but that right there will give us the best chance to win, when we have struggled the most in the past.

It's more like:

2009 Oct/Nov 3-5
2008 Oct/Nov 2-6
2007 Oct/Nov 1-7

So we are trending better.

Another stat that I look at is % of road wins.

2009 2-6 (25%)
2008 3-5 (38%)
2007 2-6) (25%)

Our team also needs to learn to win on the road...
I expect to win!

/end thread
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
I expect to win!

/end thread

[ Edited by Ibleedgoldnred on Apr 21, 2010 at 10:21 AM ]

Because we do good against our division is why we will slide late?? I might be too high to understand this right, am i missing something? I would think this would help us. We get it easy at the end. So if they(Rams, Cards, Hawks) do have a better record up to that point, it gives us a shot to beat them out.
Originally posted by Ibleedgoldnred:

Because we do good against our division is why we will slide late?? I might be too high to understand this right, am i missing something? I would think this would help us. We get it easy at the end. So if they(Rams, Cards, Hawks) do have a better record up to that point, it gives us a shot to beat them out.

No I'm saying we will be expected to win the last to games but might only be 7-7 going into week 16 b/c of losses in the middle of the season.
I hope we go 6-0 in the division, if we do that we only need like 3other wins to make the playoffs, so our usual losing streak won't kill us this time.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

It's more like:

2009 Oct/Nov 3-5
2008 Oct/Nov 2-6
2007 Oct/Nov 1-7

2009 2-6 (25%)
2008 3-5 (38%)
2007 2-6) (25%)

Good original post! D Niner, you NAILED it too!
Originally posted by NCommand:

It's more like:

2009 Oct/Nov 3-5
2008 Oct/Nov 2-6
2007 Oct/Nov 1-7

2009 2-6 (25%)
2008 3-5 (38%)
2007 2-6) (25%)

Thanks NC. What's even worse is only 1 of those 7 road victories came against a non NFC West opponent.

It's more like:

2009 Oct/Nov 3-5
2008 Oct/Nov 2-6
2007 Oct/Nov 1-7

2009 2-6 (25%)
2008 3-5 (38%)
2007 2-6) (25%)

2009: 1-5, lost 5 out of 6 (Oct. 11-Nov. 22)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=sfo&year=2009

2008: 1-7, lost 7 out of 8 (Sept. 28- Nov. 23)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=sfo&year=2008

2007: 1-10, lost 10 out of 11 (Sept. 23- Dec. 9)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=sfo&year=2007

these are the slides Raye and Singletary can't afford to have this year.

• fly15
  • Veteran

It's more like:

2009 Oct/Nov 3-5
2008 Oct/Nov 2-6
2007 Oct/Nov 1-7

2009 2-6 (25%)
2008 3-5 (38%)
2007 2-6) (25%)

2009: 1-5, lost 5 out of 6 (Oct. 11-Nov. 22)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=sfo&year=2009

2008: 1-7, lost 7 out of 8 (Sept. 28- Nov. 23)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=sfo&year=2008

2007: 1-10, lost 10 out of 11 (Sept. 23- Dec. 9)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=sfo&year=2007

these are the slides Raye and Singletary can't afford to have this year.

I'm not arguing with you that they need to address this. I'm just providing the actual win/loss stats for the 8 games in October and November (+/- a day or 2).
This one is easy. "Why we can expect the annual early oct. to mid nov suckiness streak?"

Well, this recent niner tradition will continue because Big Ben can not start for the first half of the season.
Originally posted by fister30:
This one is easy. "Why we can expect the annual early oct. to mid nov suckiness streak?"

Well, this recent niner tradition will continue because Big Ben can not start for the first half of the season.

Have you read what he did? I have no wish to have a person that forces himself on drunk college kids on the team I root for.
Share 49ersWebzone