There are 191 users in the forums

Is Smith an UFA after this year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Afghan49er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by boast:
well this will just turn into another Alex Smith bash thread?

f**king suck it Niner Talk!

Don't let them get ya down man, if you post anything about Smith you get the same set of fools spouting the same tired rhetoric like they have a clue. They just do it to incite people that have faith in their team. I guess they have frustrations with no better place to behave in a way that would get their asses kicked if it weren't for the anonymity of the internet.

alex smith is an unknown, he hasnt proven that he sucks in five years...everyone that says he sucks is obviously just a negative nancy, they're merely showcasing their own stubbornness...

fixed!
BYE BYE ALEX.......hope you find a sucker team that will give you a shot next year.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Niner408:
Yep hopefully it will be the last year if he does very poorly.

Fixed.

In actuality you absolutely do NOT want this to be the last year for him because that would mean he did horrendous. What you really desire is for him to play terrific, and get extended.

Recapping. . .

Want: Smith to do well, proving to be a #1 QB.
Don't want: Smith to do poorly, 49ers to miss playoffs, forced to draft/waste a pick on another QB, and hope Nate Davis does well as the new QB is groomed...

• kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Let's put on our optimistic glasses for a second and say Alex Smith turns into the 3,500 yard 30 TD man we all want him to be this year, is he a UFA at the end of the season or will the Niners have the right to franchise hime or some other way to gurantee they can keep him?

With the whole collective bargaining thing I am unsure of what the situation is

Subject to whatever happens with the CBA, I believe he would be an UFA but the 49ers could franchise tag him. Of course, that would mean that he would get a 1 year deal that was the average of the top 5 paid QBs in the league. They could, obviously, also negotiate an extension, though if he has that kind of year and is 26 years old, its going to get real expensive fast but they will have found their QB.
if alex stinks it up then he should get benched and we can just direct snap to gore on every play.[img=null]
If Singletary upgrades the OL as he wants to, there's no reason Alex shouldn't play well this season. We have enough playmakers to elevate the offense to at least middle-of-the-pack. An improved return game should give the offense better field position, too. Add a pass rusher, bookend DE to Justin SMith, top CB and our D can become top 10. It all works together...but BL, this is Alex's year to shine or not.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Let's put on our optimistic glasses for a second and say Alex Smith turns into the 3,500 yard 30 TD man we all want him to be this year, is he a UFA at the end of the season or will the Niners have the right to franchise hime or some other way to gurantee they can keep him?

With the whole collective bargaining thing I am unsure of what the situation is

Yes, he will be a UFA.

I think the fact that they're not trying to extend him right now speaks volumes about how Management feels about this kid. If they actually felt that Alex was the future of this team, do you think they would let him go into the final year of his contract that was also leading up to an uncapped year? No.

The fact that they're not pursuing an extension at this time means that there is a serious lack in confidence that Alex will have the type of season you are describing above. Throw in the fact that they signed a former QB bust to a 2 year deal as insurance and things start to look really bad for Alex...

But; here's to hoping I'm wrong...
[ Edited by D_Niner on Apr 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM ]
I wonder how quick you haters will change your tunes if Smith does break out.

This tune is getting a little old Memphis.... It's like a radio station that plays nothing but 40 different versions of "Louie Louie" all day and all night.

We've been waiting for "breakout" for years. All we get is . . . breakdown.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

This tune is getting a little old Memphis.... It's like a radio station that plays nothing but 40 different versions of "Louie Louie" all day and all night.

So change the channel or quit whining about it. As long as the guy is wearing a niner jersey I will support him, if he doesn't play good this year then he should go. You and the other individuals that cannot see or appreciate the situation that Smith was placed in, or how hard they guy has worked to get better can stick to your guns and continue to slam the guy even if he is our QB beyond next year. Honestly, I really don't care what you believe as long as it makes you happy.
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Originally posted by susweel:
Yah its his last year with the niners.

Originally posted by billbird2111:

Exactly.
If after half the season and the Niners are doing well (i.e. Smith is doing well), then they extend him, if not, Nate Davis and Carr will split snaps and we finish another mediocre year. Hurray
We will know by my birthday what we have in Smith. He will either start the year well and display a tremendous advancement in his overall consistency and composure in the 1st few weeks, or will continue to be the huge disappointment he has been to this point, regardless of the situation/coaching/talent/blah blah blah.

We will know by the 1st week or so in October if Smith is anything more than mediocre. I hope so, but doubt it honestly.

Haha, I'm starting to notice the trends of some of the regular posters and I can't help but notice susweel has a strong lack of confidence in Alex Smith and the Yorks. There is never a missed opportunity to criticize those two.

yea until he resigns are a breakout year.....
Share 49ersWebzone