There are 197 users in the forums

TED GINN JR.'S NEW JERSEY # SHOULD BE???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

TED GINN JR.'S NEW JERSEY # SHOULD BE???

Originally posted by REDx85xGOLD:
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by REDx85xGOLD:
Are numbers really that serious to you guys? It really doesn't matter to me and since we are on the subject of numbers, I still believe that the only WR jersey that should be retired on the Niners team should be Jerry Rice. IMO Dwight Clark doesn't deserve the right for his number to be retired, and I think John Taylor did more things for the team than Dwight Clark

WOW

Like I said in my post, "IMO" goodness, people get butt hurt easily on this MB, as if no one can't have their own opinions shhhhhheeeesh!

no opinions of that sort, no clark no catch no super bowl. he made the catch that propelled us into greatness.
I can't picture him wearing a number in the 80's. I think he'll remain a number in the teens.
I would like to see a 10 out there, but I doubt he changes it. I was a wide receiver/free safety in high school and I wore 84, but I would have loved to wear 16 (my birthday/joe montana). I don't know why but I would have preffered a number in the teens.
[ Edited by TexasNiner84 on Apr 18, 2010 at 1:24 PM ]
I like 10.
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Oh yeah... WTH is Brian Jennings doing wearing a Receivers number? He's a LONG SNAPPER, i.e. Center. He should be wearing a 60-70 number. Now see he's worn that number for a long time, so I just can't wait for him to retire. I don't expect him to change it. But our young guys who haven't put significant time on the field in the teen numbers even though they don't play in that unit should have no issues changing up.

~Ceadder

Didn't Jennings start out as a TE?

I do believe that he did. But he's a Center. Not a TE.

~Ceadder
wow, i really really realllly dont care
i dont care. teen numbers look cool, i like crabtree's number. he can wear whatever he wants as long as he makes plays
Originally posted by Trajik1:
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
82 as a tribute to John Taylor our last KR threat!

John Taylor was incredible! I think he gets over looked to often!

Much like a current HoF Receiver did before he got in, a few years back.

Here is an argument that not many people have looked at regarding JT when paired with his tandemmate Flash 80.

The big argument is that Jerry did so much more. Well that's true. He also played for what 10 years longer? JT hung up his cleats when he did cause of his accomplishments, health and because he felt he didn't have anything more to prove to anyone.

Now my comparison.

The Mark brothers during Marino's heydey. Give them an All Pro TE and an All Pro RB and either their numbers both go down or one or the other's do. Not to mention Marino's numbers, but that's for another argument. In any case there is only one ball and one QB making decisions on what to do with it. I don't believe that JTs' performance would have been negatively affected if Rice were not on the field. But without Taylor, Rice would not have every stat sewn up. Teams would have double and tripled him constantly and limit his catches without a solid Receiver on the other side of the field or even staggered off the LoS next to him. That's what a HoF Receiver does. Yes numbers are a big part of going to the next level. But it SHOULD be based on what you did when you had the ball in your hands, when you are speaking of a Player who is in a crowded Offense.

Oh and WTF is wrong with wanting the team to be traditional in their number system?

I mean crap lets just put the QBs' in the 90s' if we're gonna be kewl with everyone wearing undesignated #s'. Joe would have been AWESOME as #99.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Apr 18, 2010 at 6:38 PM ]

Here is an argument that not many people have looked at regarding JT when paired with his tandemmate Flash 80.

The big argument is that Jerry did so much more. Well that's true. He also played for what 10 years longer? JT hung up his cleats when he did cause of his accomplishments, health and because he felt he didn't have anything more to prove to anyone.

Now my comparison.

The Mark brothers during Marino's heydey. Give them an All Pro TE and an All Pro RB and either their numbers both go down or one or the other's do. Not to mention Marino's numbers, but that's for another argument. In any case there is only one ball and one QB making decisions on what to do with it. I don't believe that JTs' performance would have been negatively affected if Rice were not on the field. But without Taylor, Rice would not have every stat sewn up. Teams would have double and tripled him constantly and limit his catches without a solid Receiver on the other side of the field or even staggered off the LoS next to him. That's what a HoF Receiver does. Yes numbers are a big part of going to the next level. But it SHOULD be based on what you did when you had the ball in your hands, when you are speaking of a Player who is in a crowded Offense.

Oh and WTF is wrong with wanting the team to be traditional in their number system?

I mean crap lets just put the QBs' in the 90s' if we're gonna be kewl with everyone wearing undesignated #s'. Joe would have been AWESOME as #99.

~Ceadder

i use to liken JR and JT more to Lynn Swann and John Stallworth (except in their case it was opposite-- stallworth had better stats than swann, but was known as the "quiet guy")... both steelers WRs got in the HoF right?

Now my comparison.

~Ceadder

Easy granpa! lol I dont care what number he wears. A Lot of guys wear single digits growing up playing both ways and end up keeping that number throughout their careers so I dont see what the big deal is. Change is OK.

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Most likely he stays 19....
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Most likely he stays 19....
if ginn wears 19, does it make him the first niner to wear 19 since arland bruce?? isaacs cousin wore 19 during the first few games of 2003 season

Now my comparison.

~Ceadder

no i think it should be this.

#'s 1-49 and 80-89 are eligible receiver #'s. 50-79 and 90-99 are ineligible reciever numbers.
Regular season! May thee come with swift of feet!
Share 49ersWebzone