There are 178 users in the forums

Our Plan B if we miss the playoffs again?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Alex Smith has got to go if we don't make the playoffs. He is surrounded by talent, has an entire off-season to prepare, and has the same offensive coordinator. Not to mention, Anquan Boldin and Kurt Warner are gone. The 49ers are the favorites, and it will be an extreme disapointment if they don't make the playoffs.

Yep, if Smiths continues his inconsistent performances this season, he should not be resigned in the off, and we should be positioning ourselves to draft a QB next year.

I don't think it would be an extreme disappointment if we missed the playoffs, simply because we haven't MADE the playoffs recently.

But yes, Alex Smith is a fish out of water if we don't make the playoffs. I really don't think that any other major changes would follow. It would take considerable regression for Sing to lose his job. The front office has been in flux as it is. A good QB makes the whole team look different. Hopefully Alex fulfills that role for us this season.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
With guys like Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin, Patrick Kerney, Walter Jones, Karlos Dansby and Antrell Rolle all either leaving the division or retiring, then we better win the division. If not then we will never win this division with the Singletary and Alex Smith combo. One or both will have to go
I think it really depends how the season goes. Should we get 8 or less wins, I would not be suprised to see a complete overhaul. This would mean byebye Sing, Smith, Raye, and any other coaching staff that follows Sing to his new destination...

If we finish 10-6 or better, and barely miss the playoffs due to a turnaround in the division, I would not be suprised if we aim for the same continuity in 2011, while adding whatever keys pieces we do not find this year... At that point, they would re-evaluate Smith and determine if he is part of the longterm plan...
Can you say Mass Suicide on the Webzone?
We miss the playoffs, Smith is gone!

It's on his shoulders. Barring any idiotic play calling.

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

this.

and I don't want Sing fired unless it was something he did to make us miss the playoffs.
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Apr 19, 2010 at 12:39 PM ]
John Gruden.

But then again he should already be our HC, so that probably means that the Yorks are just too cheap to hire an elite NFL HC.
Originally posted by oregondave:
John Gruden.

But then again he should already be our HC, so that probably means that the Yorks are just too cheap to hire an elite NFL HC.

who said gruden is an elite HC? i dont see him as being elite
It depends on why wwe miss the playoffs

If we miss the playoffs due to poor QB play, but the rest of the team plays well, then we keep the team together and draft a QB next year -- its a great year for QBs next year.

If we miss the playoffs due to sloppy defense, etc., then the whole team gets blown up and a big shot GM comes in.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

this.

and I don't want Sing fired unless it was something he did to make us miss the playoffs.

If our offense flounders, wouldn't Sing ultimately be responsible for sticking with Raye?

I hope that's not what happens but sometimes that's the way it goes.

Seems like the front office has done a lot of sticking with coaches/players through thick and thin these days though.

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
John Gruden.

We'll agree to disagree. I'm guessing most people who know would agree with me that he is a top 5 NFL HC.
If we don't make the playoffs we won't resign Vernon Davis/Patrick Willis.
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
If we don't make the playoffs we won't resign Vernon Davis/Patrick Willis.

You're kidding right? Unless you mean the things that WON'T happen if we don't make the playoffs...
Draft Locker or some other QB in the draft. I don't see Singletary getting the boot unless the team goes 4-12, or something horrendous like that.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
John Gruden.

He won a SB, that's enough to make him an elite HC.
Share 49ersWebzone