There are 152 users in the forums

49ers Positioning Themselves To Trade Back?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
That would make the most sense.

C'mon Baalke - I'm already a fan!!!
We trade down only if the player we value at that position is gone, so if can't get the OT or DB we want we go back and all the spiller and clausen talk is smoke and mirrors.
Plus Singletary and Baalkes fate may be tied to this draft, they want impact players now. They can't think of the furture. the players in the top 3-4 picks need to produce now. If they do and we win hands down then their jobs are secured for a couple more years.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
I don't know about you guys, but I think the Niners leaked fake interest in Clausen to entice a trade for one of their picks. Creating a market for their picks so they can hopefully trade back with one of them. I think this is incredibly smart. If we can trade back in the 1st and get an extra pick, go for it. 17th Pick, 25th or so Pick, and an extra 2nd or 3rd? Hell yea. If this truely is a smoke and mirrors thing, I applaud Baalke. Smart move.

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/16/roundup-49ers-reportedly-have-interest-in-clausen/

If you don't believe the 49ers interest in Clausen is legitimate or if you just don't think the 49ers should pick Clausen if he's there, then you have to believe that Smith can not only lead the 49ers to the playoffs this year but that he can also win a championship. I can believe the former, the latter is a much larger leap of faith at this point.

And, if Smith fails, it puts the 49ers in a similar position they are this year with having to draft a RT except having to do it at QB which is more difficult. In that scenario, Carr would essentially be Snyder -- could start, results when he's started in the past are not great, probably best as a back-up; Davis would be A. Boone -- unproven at best; there's potential there but probably not ready to start.

If you don't think Clausen can be a franchise QB, then obviously you don't take him but if he falls to the 49ers at 13, he's a lot cheaper than trying to trade up for Locher next year and he gets to sit for a year. If Smith plays well, Clausen sits and the 49ers have options come next year when Smith's contract is up. If they resign Smith, Clausen can sit and wait like A. Rodgers or P. Rivers. If Smith does not play well, they can let him walk and Clausen is ready to go in 2011 (or ready to compete with N. Davis) without having been rushed into action.

With all of that said, I don't think Clausen gets to 13. Either Cleveland or Buffalo picks him or someone trades up to get him before the 49ers pick.
Share 49ersWebzone