LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 202 users in the forums

Ted Ginn a niner (5th round pick)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
WOW. Me likey! I am very pleased abut this. Now we dont have to waste a pick on a return guy or reach for a rb/wr/return guy. This trade made perfect sense. Which is why I thought it would never happen from the 49ers. Good work team.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Ginn doesn't have the best hands in the world. They might improve, but i don't think they'll ever be considered good. That said, teams will still have to account for him because if he's not covered he'll take it to the house. He's an inconsistant homerun threat. Some teams will gamble defensively on him and some teams will get burned for doing it. SOme won't.

If we were able to improve Vernon's hands, I think Ginn might have a chance. Maybe Vernon will train with Ginn together since they are buds...and Ginn will get a kick in the ass (I avoided using "shot in the arm" for obvious reasons). The Singletary Effect will make Ginn more focused and maybe he has a chip on his shoulder that he can shake off when he arrives in SF.
Good pick up for a 5th...

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Ginn doesn't have the best hands in the world. They might improve, but i don't think they'll ever be considered good. That said, teams will still have to account for him because if he's not covered he'll take it to the house. He's an inconsistant homerun threat. Some teams will gamble defensively on him and some teams will get burned for doing it. SOme won't.

If we were able to improve Vernon's hands, I think Ginn might have a chance. Maybe Vernon will train with Ginn together since they are buds...and Ginn will get a kick in the ass (I avoided using "shot in the arm" for obvious reasons). The Singletary Effect will make Ginn more focused and maybe he has a chip on his shoulder that he can shake off when he arrives in SF.

Him and Vernon will have be catching off the jugs machine after every practice. He should improve with Vernon and Sing motivating him.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM ]
Does this mean we don't take Spiller?
Originally posted by Mookster:
Brilliant move! To get a proven return man for a 5th round pick? And locked up for 3 years at reasonable salaries? WOW!!

This is the kind of move McCloughan would never have pulled off. Great work Baalke!

I feel the exact same way! How AWESOME would he be in the spread offense? We have a legitmate deep threat with blazing speed and watching his highlight reel, he is amazing on returns hitting between the first two blockers w/o ANY hesitation every time.

The other thing that stands out to me (besides his deciveness) is that he has a knack for making plays, great change of pace, breaks tackles, doesn't go down easy at all, RAC, etc.

He may like contact like a Deion Sanders but if he can add to the return game like he should AND be a deep threat in our spread formations, this should be a fantastic pickup!

Warm your arm up Alex...you'll be throwing some deep passes this year!

Great p/u IMO esp. for a 5th rounder.
Good deal. Let's hope he pans out.
I'm pretty stoked about our recieving corps now, aswell. Even if he's the #4 guy, speed kills! Crabtree, Morgan, Hill/Ginn, Ginn/Hill. That doesn't look to bad, folks, and finally, the first legit return threat since......Vinny Sutherland?

PS, I was a BIG Vinny fan!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hammerthrow99:
I'm pretty stoked about our recieving corps now, aswell. Even if he's the #4 guy, speed kills! Crabtree, Morgan, Hill/Ginn, Ginn/Hill. That doesn't look to bad, folks, and finally, the first legit return threat since......Vinny Sutherland?

PS, I was a BIG Vinny fan!

I think he will be the #3 guy. One of Hill or Jones will be cut.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Love the trade. At worst, we are getting a damn good kick returner. I don't care if he doesn't pan out as a WR, he just needs to be one of the best kick returner to more than justify this trade.

I love this pick.

Very impressive move by the front office.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
I called it for a 5th in a thread earlier in the week that was locked!

Great deal for a team that is in dire need of a spark in their return game!
Btw, anybody drolling for an end around? SEE YA!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
For a 5th round pick getting one of the best returners in the league is an absolute steal. He still can go deep as a WR too. He's not a physical contact type of WR but I wouldn't hesitate to use him as a deep threat from time to time. Other teams still have to respect his blazing speed.

This is the first and only offseason move I've seen that makes sense.

Well said man, No one in the 5th could of possibly help the niners more than ginn as a WR and as a Kr/Pr. Should be given every chance to be the Number 3 receiver and this guy has crazy speed and will only help our offense. No Wr or KR/Pr in the draft please.
definitely an upgrade on the special teams!!!

he'll be fine... once Sing drops his pants on him I bet you he'll have a 10+ TD season for us...

ala' V.D.
Share 49ersWebzone