LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

What would you want (only two scenarios)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What would you want (only two scenarios)

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
A: Alex Smith has a breakout year with ridiculous stats but the Niner's go 8-8 and miss the playoffs.

B: Niners go 11-5 and make the playoffs but Alex Smith shows no signs of improvement over last year and has a mediocre season at the QB position.

The goal is to make the playoffs, not to make Smith look good. Chances are, though, if Smith had such a big season, we WOULD make the playoffs and would have a much better record than 8-8.

Option B is realistic and will likely be exactly what happens this season (besides the 11-5 record, as we will likely be 9-7 or 10-6).
[ Edited by 49erRider on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:08 PM ]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Lol would we go 11-5 with s**tty QB play??? That possible?

With a dominating defense and decent running game, yes.

By the way, Smith's play last season wasn't "sh*tty." It was mediocre. So if he continued to be mediocre, then the two things I just mentioned can easily carry us to an 11-5 record.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
A: Alex Smith has a breakout year with ridiculous stats but the Niner's go 8-8 and miss the playoffs.

B: Niners go 11-5 and make the playoffs but Alex Smith shows no signs of improvement over last year and has a mediocre season at the QB position.

This is a dumb question. Who the hell would want option A? The goal is to make the playoffs, not to make Smith look good. Chances are, though, if Smith had such a big season, we WOULD make the playoffs and would have a much better record than 8-8. But just going by your scenario, anybody wanting option A is an idiot.

Option B is realistic and will likely be exactly what happens this season (besides the 11-5 record, as we will likely be 9-7 or 10-6).

Thank you for calling me an idiot instead of disagreeing with my argument. I love it when zoners show their inability to argue logically and instead resort to name calling.
this thread is a recipe for disaster
Originally posted by Born49R:

This is a dumb question. Who the hell would want option A? The goal is to make the playoffs, not to make Smith look good. Chances are, though, if Smith had such a big season, we WOULD make the playoffs and would have a much better record than 8-8. But just going by your scenario, anybody wanting option A is an idiot.

Thank you for calling me an idiot instead of disagreeing with my argument. I love it when zoners show their inability to argue logically and instead resort to name calling.

I realized that was a bit harsh and edited the post to exclude any insults before you posted. Check the times. On top of that, I didn't even read your post, so I wasn't aware you were arguing for option A. If I was, I would have called you out directly. If you want to get into a real debate, we can do that.

The two scenarios presented mention nothing of sustained success for Alex Smith if he has a monster season this year. Get that argument off the table. The question is whether you'd like to see Smith light it up and MISS THE PLAYOFFS, or actually do what we're supposed to be trying to do every year and MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. If you'd rather miss the playoffs just to see big numbers from Smith, I can do nothing but question your true status as a 49ERS FAN.

Keep in mind a monster year (numbers-wise) from any QB DOES NOT guarantee sustained success. That was not mentioned in the two scenarios, therefor it should have no bearing on this debate. What you implied was that a big year from Smith will mean we have our franchise QB, which is not true. I get your argument, it's just not a good one. Drafting later in the draft doesn't mean we won't find a franchise QB. There's also trades that can be made. On top of that, we may have what we're looking for in Nate Davis.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Apr 16, 2010 at 3:22 PM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
B easily. If we go 11-5 with crappy QB play that would mean 14-2 and a Super Bowl with a decent quarterback.

lol as If that would ever happen lol 11-5 with a bad QB LOL not ganna happen Alex will do just fine and we will make the playoffs in 2010

I realized that was a bit harsh and edited the post to exclude any insults before you posted. Check the times. On top of that, I didn't even read your post, so I wasn't aware you were arguing for option A. If I was, I would have called you out directly. If you want to get into a real debate, we can do that.

The two scenarios presented mention nothing of sustained success for Alex Smith if he has a monster season this year. Get that argument off the table. The question is whether you'd like to see Smith light it up and MISS THE PLAYOFFS, or actually do what we're supposed to be trying to do every year and MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. If you'd rather miss the playoffs just to see big numbers from Smith, I can do nothing but question your true status as a 49ERS FAN.

Keep in mind a monster year (numbers-wise) from any QB DOES NOT guarantee sustained success. That was not mentioned in the two scenarios, therefor it should have no bearing on this debate. What you implied was that a big year from Smith will mean we have our franchise QB, which is not true. I get your argument, it's just not a good one. Drafting later in the draft doesn't mean we won't find a franchise QB. There's also trades that can be made. On top of that, we may have what we're looking for in Nate Davis.

Dude why is everyone in love with Nate Davis.. HE HASNT PROVED ANYTHING AND HE WILL MOST LIKELY NOT
B: Cause not only will we make the playoffs, but our franchise can finally stop being a bunch of pussies and get rid of that factory defect.

Seriously, f**k Alex Smith, no Urban Meyer-cursed gimmick QB will ever amount to s**t in the NFL.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
B: Cause not only will we make the playoffs, but our franchise can finally stop being a bunch of pussies and get rid of that factory defect.

Seriously, f**k Alex Smith, no Urban Meyer-cursed gimmick QB will ever amount to s**t in the NFL.

f**k you..... he throws 18 td in 10 games and u want to hang him... f**k off and get off these forums
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Not sure how anybody could vote for A????????

I did. I would rather know we have a franchise QB and need to build a little bit more before we contend, than go 1 and done in the playoffs (rarely do teams who have shotty QB play remain yearly contenders)

Originally posted by 49erForLife420:

Dude why is everyone in love with Nate Davis.. HE HASNT PROVED ANYTHING AND HE WILL MOST LIKELY NOT

Hey, he looked great in the preseason against third stringers

Ahh but logic says if Smith blows up this next year, it is highly likely that success would continue.

For the sake of argument, how many defensive teams remain yearly contenders? Now go and compare that to teams with a highly productive QB.

Just because you assumed that the scenarios presented meant only one spectacular season for Smith is your fault. Also clearly present's your bias against Smith, so your debate would be worthless, cause you have already proven to not have an open mind. You can't debate a person who already has their mind made up. Well you can, but what's the point?
Originally posted by HessianDud:
i can't imagine us going 11-5 without at least a promising season from Smith.

Exactly. The two options almost conflict with each other.

-9fA

All right now we are talking. I agree with you about Smith's having one good year and not meaning anything for the future which also holds true for us going 11-5 and making the playoffs. With a bad QB we could go back to worse than we are now since we don't yet know what we have in Davis.
I'm aware my argument was flawed, the original options just left so much open for just these kinds of questions that I was playing devil's advocate. If Smith did have such a year I believe that it would be unlikely we would go 8-8 unless Willis, Gore, and a few more starters went down.
I just have been a 49 fan for so long and suffered thru the years before 1980
that I don't believe in one year success. It would have been better if I had said that but I was just having some fun.
I don't care what Smiths #'s are or if he is even our QB as long as we win long term and just not 1 season.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
B

f**k Alex Smith, its all about the team.
Share 49ersWebzone