LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Alex smith on chronicle live next!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Sure that could happen the way Brees and Warner were treated, but who's to say we would just straight get rid of Smith?? Its simple, if Smith guides us to the playoffs, he gets a new contract, if he doesn't why couldn't he be a #2 for us and fight for his job if the opportunity ever rises again?? He certainly wouldn't be a bad back up QB.

Some of you see drafting QB in the 1st as a wasted pick, I see it as value for the future. And seeing that we have to 1st round picks, I actually think we could afford to pick up good value for the future.

If Clausen is available at #17 that should be a red flag for everyone. Does everyone forget how his brothers have done in the NFL? Not an indicator of what will happen with him because he's obviously the more talented player but at the same time not exactly bloodlines that scream success.

The guy has padded his stats against weak competition since HS. If we're going to grab a guy to groom I'd almost rather take a guy like Jevan Snead later in the draft. I wouldn't hate the pick if he was there like I would with Taylor Mays but I think we can use that first rounder to address more immediate needs with players who would not only help more but would be safer picks.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
i would be all for taking a QB in the first round if we were say a Seattle type team (a team with all the parts to be a playoff team but looks more like they are in rebuilding mode). But for the 49ers its playoffs this year or a lot of people will be losing there jobs. Even if you think QB might be a need for this team, in this kind of year you don't waste a 1st round pick on a QB. That hurts our team because a QB does nothing to help this team this year and this this is when we need both first round picks to be able to contribute.
Originally posted by genus49:

Sure that could happen the way Brees and Warner were treated, but who's to say we would just straight get rid of Smith?? Its simple, if Smith guides us to the playoffs, he gets a new contract, if he doesn't why couldn't he be a #2 for us and fight for his job if the opportunity ever rises again?? He certainly wouldn't be a bad back up QB.

Some of you see drafting QB in the 1st as a wasted pick, I see it as value for the future. And seeing that we have to 1st round picks, I actually think we could afford to pick up good value for the future.

If Clausen is available at #17 that should be a red flag for everyone. Does everyone forget how his brothers have done in the NFL? Not an indicator of what will happen with him because he's obviously the more talented player but at the same time not exactly bloodlines that scream success.

The guy has padded his stats against weak competition since HS. If we're going to grab a guy to groom I'd almost rather take a guy like Jevan Snead later in the draft. I wouldn't hate the pick if he was there like I would with Taylor Mays but I think we can use that first rounder to address more immediate needs with players who would not only help more but would be safer picks.

Snead is one of the worst decision makers i have ever seen playing college football
Draft talk... sheesh.... Recap? ANYONE?
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Originally posted by genus49:

Snead is one of the worst decision makers i have ever seen playing college football

That's why sitting and learning - getting mental reps would be very helpful.
Originally posted by crabman82:
man when alex throws like 24 td's and like 14 int's and we win 9 games and get to the playoffs they haters will be eating some crow

When did 49er fans have such low standards? I definately miss the 80s and the 90s...It's Superbowl or bust. We are sounding more and more like Det. Lions' fans now....
[ Edited by sacleads on Apr 14, 2010 at 9:14 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Originally posted by PTulini:
man when alex throws like 24 td's and like 14 int's and we win 9 games and get to the playoffs they haters will be eating some crow

I would hope for more than 9 wins.

with the team we have, and add in the draft. Alex better win us atleast 10! or buh bye

Im a huge Smith supporter, but thats why im in favor of taking Clausen not at 13, but 17 if hes there! you just never know!

With three unproven QB's already on the team, you want to add another very expensive unproven QB?
Reporter: How's your shoulder?
Smith:
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NorthNiner:

with the team we have, and add in the draft. Alex better win us atleast 10! or buh bye

Im a huge Smith supporter, but thats why im in favor of taking Clausen not at 13, but 17 if hes there! you just never know!

With three unproven QB's already on the team, you want to add another very expensive unproven QB?

Why not, our team is pretty much built to handle one. It worked out for the Jets, Falcons and Ravens. This team is ten times better than the 2005 team Alex Smith took over.
Originally posted by fan49:

just got shut down on path to the draft by charlie weiss...... said build team and give alex his shot....... IMO hes right alex has never had a good shot. not a shot, a good shot. Hes got players now, but no oline. give this man protection, then its up to him. Clausen fills a bottom of the list need. Plus we get him, no oline what throw him to the wolves to..... yeah thats what we need another ruined qb....

I think that's the second time I've seen you post him as Charlie Weiss. Charlie Weiss is the OC of the Chiefs. That was Charley Casserly. You may remember him from such drafts as the '06 draft when he took Mario Williams #1 over Reggie Bush. Charley was the GM of the Texans at the time and "retired" (read: got fired) after that draft.

Couldn't agree more, draft the BPA and let the chips fall where they may. How happy would we all be to have the same problems the Chargers had with Brees and Rivers??
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ramanz16:

Couldn't agree more, draft the BPA and let the chips fall where they may. How happy would we all be to have the same problems the Chargers had with Brees and Rivers??

Draft Jimmy Clausen if he is available.

just got shut down on path to the draft by charlie weiss...... said build team and give alex his shot....... IMO hes right alex has never had a good shot. not a shot, a good shot. Hes got players now, but no oline. give this man protection, then its up to him. Clausen fills a bottom of the list need. Plus we get him, no oline what throw him to the wolves to..... yeah thats what we need another ruined qb....

Honestly, 2006 was the best shot ANY QB had since 2002.

Thats why we draft a T with 13 and Clausen if he is there at 17 or McCoy rd2!! Dont throw them in! let them sit for a year or 2 depending how Smith does and deal from there!

Nate.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by ramanz16:

How happy would we all be to have the same problems the Chargers had with Brees and Rivers??

Not me. Wouldn't be happy at all. Rivers has been their Starter for how long now? You think the Boltz are going to be ANY closer to going now that LT is with the Jets?

Our luck we trade the wrong guy. Fokk that. Besides we ALREADY have Nate and don't know where he's at developmentally speaking. I myself want to see at least ONE year where we DON'T take a QB. Let everyone get settled and then see where we are at in Preseason. At worst we have to raid somebodies PS or look on the waiver for someone's castoff.

But for all we know we ALREADY have THE guy. If we didn't pick up Carr and Hill was still here I would say the exact same thing. Every time one of the local BWs' says the term QB, I cringe and feel like my nuts got slammed in a door jamb.

BPA for us is NOT a QB. Not unless we're converting him to something else and while I do not mind Battle(gone now) MRob type of players, I want specialty players. Guys that KNOW their job and do that job well. Period. Taking a QB is a reach. I'm so fed up with Reaches.

Sorry guys this thread isn't even on topic now. So mods please it down.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Apr 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran

Honestly, 2006 was the best shot ANY QB had since 2002.

Thats why we draft a T with 13 and Clausen if he is there at 17 or McCoy rd2!! Dont throw them in! let them sit for a year or 2 depending how Smith does and deal from there!

you wanna pay millios for someone to sit. for a year or 2. when we have two first rounders to get a better team. no way in hell any qb in first makes team instantly better. we finally have continuity on offense we need playmakers were missing a few on d. we have carr... and no onw on your list has a deeper arm than davis. davis will get the short end of the stick. I think he has more upside than any of em in this draft. and hes not to bad when it comes to accuracy. 2-3rd stringers or not his passes in preseason were sharp and accurate. and he can throw over 70 yards... then we got carr... so again tell me the point.
[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 14, 2010 at 11:14 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone