LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

If Crabtree Re-entered the Draft (2010)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
it would be really interesting to see how the Crabtree/Bryant discussion would be handled in the lead-up to the draft. My guess is that most people would put them at opposite ends of the spectrum, saying Crabtree created his problems and is a diva and Bryant is a misunderstood kid who got the shaft from arcane NCAA rules. I think Bryant would get drafted ahead of him, and Crabtree would end up going in the mid to late 20s.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Mid to late first. If he actually was stubborn enough to hold out for a whole year teams picking high would stay miles and miles away.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Crabtree got drafted by the 49ers
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Crabtree got drafted by the 49ers
RAIDERS with the 8th pick select.....
Everyone is forgetting that Crabtree had 2 excellent years of film. Bryant has one. Crabtree showed he could make plays in the toughest situations (Texas Tech vs Texas). His only character issue was that Eric Mangini said he showed up at Cleveland Headquarters with a "possy". He showed he was explosive, attacked the ball, and had huge YAC ability. He not only was a better prospect than Bryant is, IMO he was a much better prospect. His only legit knocks were spread offense and speed (only because he couldn't run a 40). Bryant also has the speed question now, but it's bigger for him because he's supposed to be a deep threat speed guy. Crabtree would, in the end, be a projected top 10 or 15 pick in this draft. His suitors could be the Redskins, Chiefs, Seahawks, Browns, Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Broncos, or Dolphins. Every team fro 4 to 14 has a need at receiver. Dez Bryant isn't good enough to be considered by many of those teams, but I believe Crabtree would have been.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
RAIDERS with the 8th pick select.....

lol they wouldnt get crabs

i think somewhere between 20 to 32 would seem like where he would go
Originally posted by bigmike55:
he's already a 49er! done deal!
Look, it's a what if question, if you don't want to exercise your brain, use your imagination, or the question doesn't interest you, then simply move on to another post. Please stop being a lock Nazi and allow other people enjoy the intellectual exercise.
Originally posted by Draftology:
Everyone is forgetting that Crabtree had 2 excellent years of film. Bryant has one. Crabtree showed he could make plays in the toughest situations (Texas Tech vs Texas). His only character issue was that Eric Mangini said he showed up at Cleveland Headquarters with a "possy". He showed he was explosive, attacked the ball, and had huge YAC ability. He not only was a better prospect than Bryant is, IMO he was a much better prospect. His only legit knocks were spread offense and speed (only because he couldn't run a 40). Bryant also has the speed question now, but it's bigger for him because he's supposed to be a deep threat speed guy. Crabtree would, in the end, be a projected top 10 or 15 pick in this draft. His suitors could be the Redskins, Chiefs, Seahawks, Browns, Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Broncos, or Dolphins. Every team fro 4 to 14 has a need at receiver. Dez Bryant isn't good enough to be considered by many of those teams, but I believe Crabtree would have been.

Since this question is hypothetical it didn't really bother me, until I read this that is. I don't even want to envision that. In case some of you missed the point, I am talkin about the teams in bold not the evaluation of Crabs. I'm sure that is obvious to most, but there are some who for some reason couldn't recognize this as a hypothetical post, so I just wanted to be sure.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM ]
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Mike Williams was nowhere near the prospect Crabtree was and he sat out what he thought would have been his rookie year, also after only two years in college, and he was still picked #10 overall. Same as Crabtree.

What would that heave meant for Crabtree? Maybe it would have hurt him, given Willaims' failure in the NFL. Or maybe it would have meant that teams are still willing to take that risk? It would only take one GM willing to pull the trigger.

I guess my issue is this draft just seems loaded with talent compared to last year. I haven't done any real analysis, but the buzz seems much greater. Just think of the four OTs, 3 NT, DE/OLB prospects, Berry, Haden, Spiller and on and on.....Man I'm glad we have two high picks!

How many receivers were as highly rated coming out of college in the last 10-15 years? Calvin was Johnson for sure. Edwards wasn't, Holmes wasn't, Fitzgerald maybe, Charles Rodgers wasn't, Andre Johnson wasn't, Stallworth wasn't, Burress might have been close, Holt wasn't, Keyshawn probably was, etc. Crabtree was one of those rare prospects based on his performace, not just his measurables (which are not incredible, neither were Jerry Rice's). Bryant isn't the prospect any of Crabtree, Johnson (Key, Calivin, or Andre), or Burress was.

In only two years Crabtree is possibly the greatest NCAA receiver of all time. I think there's a chance he would have dropped past 10 but he would still be the 1st receiver taken. Bryant may have tested faster on the track but Crabtree is easily the better football player.

Terry Donahue had Edwards rated as the best player in the 2005 draft, lol. But seriously, Nolan and McCloughan where considering him along with Antrel Rolle for the first overall pick that year. Good thing we picked Smith, Doh

lmao

Originally posted by Draftology:

yeah ... What he said

Originally posted by stevenking57:
Look, it's a what if question, if you don't want to exercise your brain, use your imagination, or the question doesn't interest you, then simply move on to another post. Please stop being a lock Nazi and allow other people enjoy the intellectual exercise.

Check this out.. if I made some post about, "What if Alex Smith never got drafted by the 49ers??" or "What if we didn't hire Singletary and waited for Shanahan or Holmgren?" i would get bombarded with s and people trying to bash my post saying it does not matter because we drafted Alex, we hired Singletary.. blah blah blah...

It's not a matter of exercising your brain and using imagination... imagination is for story tales, this is the NFL you're talking about. Bottom line is the 49ers drafted Crabtree, he held out for some time, and now he's signed to a contract and playing well. Cheers to that! He did not enter the 2010 draft. I'm happy he didn't. Go 49ers!!!
mid-late 1st round prospect IMO
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
The Crabtree hold out has been long forgot ands so has the talk of him re-entering the draft in 2010. Just wondering where you guys think he would have gone if he had held out on the Niners and re-entered the 2010 draft? With Bryant's attitude and speed concerns I think it's likely that he still could of been the first WR picked. However, this seem like such a strong over all draft I have a hard time imagining he's chosen much before the 2nd round. Where do you think he would of been picked?

Really?
Originally posted by stevenking57:

Check this out.. if I made some post about, "What if Alex Smith never got drafted by the 49ers??" or "What if we didn't hire Singletary and waited for Shanahan or Holmgren?" i would get bombarded with s and people trying to bash my post saying it does not matter because we drafted Alex, we hired Singletary.. blah blah blah...

It's not a matter of exercising your brain and using imagination... imagination is for story tales, this is the NFL you're talking about. Bottom line is the 49ers drafted Crabtree, he held out for some time, and now he's signed to a contract and playing well. Cheers to that! He did not enter the 2010 draft. I'm happy he didn't. Go 49ers!!!

For the most part I agree with this. Sure it's an interesting hypothetical but it's kind of pointless too.
Share 49ersWebzone