LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Is Manny Lawson Onboard with the 49ers New Culture?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Quote:
Is Manny Lawson Onboard With the 49er’s New Culture?

Posted by Anthony Cruz April 6, 2010

Since Mike Singletary took over the San Francisco 49ers, the culture has changed. There’s no doubt about that. Players play harder for him and do things that players typically don’t do. Look at what David Bass did last week, he risked his whole career by signing a waver so he could participate in the teams OTA’s while he isn’t under contract. Then we look at Alex Boone. This guy came to the 49ers fat and looking like he squandered his potential. This off-season he reported to OTA’s looking like all he did since last season was workout. Other players who obviously bought what Singletary is selling are Vernon Davis, he came out on fire after being sent to the locker room, Ahmed Brooks, he is playing with a new confidence that has resurrected his career, and finally Michael Crabtree, he makes the list because he is blocking and that was something nobody expected.

Most of the 49ers are thriving under Singletary, but there is one player who doesn’t seem like he is ready to be a part of the culture change. This player would be Manny Lawson.

Manny has been pretty disappointing up to this point in his career. When he was drafted in 2006, most 49ers fans expected him to become a force on the outside of our new 3-4 defenses. He has been a serviceable starter, but he definitely has not lived up to his potential or filled the shoes left by Julian Peterson.

Last year Manny had the best year of his career with 71 tackles and 6.5 sacks. Those aren’t bad numbers but they aren’t good enough. A good example of what type of players put up those numbers is David Bowens, who had 71 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Again these are decent numbers but decent isn’t what we should be getting from a guy like Manny.

Manny was poised to have his breakout season last year and came out average at best. He was removed from the team’s third down package in favor of Ahmed Brooks. Brooks shined in his new role and Manny never got it back. Manny never played with consistent intensity. Singletary didn’t start Manny versus Seattle to try to motivate him and Manny had a great game; he had seven tackles and a sack. Unfortunately, the next game versus Arizona he didn’t have the same intensity and only had two tackles.

Manny Lawson is in the last year of his contract and it isn’t starting out like the 49er’s faithful would like it to. Manny skipped the 49er’s OTAs. When his agent was asked about this he replied “No comment.” In any other year no one would bat an eye at that, but this year is different. This year players are dieing to be at practice (David Bass), this year players are talking about working out together to build a rhythm (Crabtree and Smith), this year players who don’t fall in line with the 49ers culture change will be replaced. Without a breakout year I don’t expect Manny Lawson to be back with the 49ers.

NinersCentral.com

Thoughts/Reactions???

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 9, 2010 at 00:44:05 ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
Quote:

Since Mike Singletary took over the San Francisco 49ers, the culture has changed. There’s no doubt about that. Players play harder for him and do things that players typically don’t do. Look at what David Bass did last week, he risked his whole career by signing a waver so he could participate in the teams OTA’s while he isn’t under contract. Then we look at Alex Boone. This guy came to the 49ers fat and looking like he squandered his potential. This off-season he reported to OTA’s looking like all he did since last season was workout. Other players who obviously bought what Singletary is selling are Vernon Davis, he came out on fire after being sent to the locker room, Ahmed Brooks, he is playing with a new confidence that has resurrected his career, and finally Michael Crabtree, he makes the list because he is blocking and that was something nobody expected.

Most of the 49ers are thriving under Singletary, but there is one player who doesn’t seem like he is ready to be a part of the culture change. This player would be Manny Lawson.

Manny has been pretty disappointing up to this point in his career. When he was drafted in 2006, most 49ers fans expected him to become a force on the outside of our new 3-4 defenses. He has been a serviceable starter, but he definitely has not lived up to his potential or filled the shoes left by Julian Peterson.

Last year Manny had the best year of his career with 71 tackles and 6.5 sacks. Those aren’t bad numbers but they aren’t good enough. A good example of what type of players put up those numbers is David Bowens, who had 71 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Again these are decent numbers but decent isn’t what we should be getting from a guy like Manny.

Manny was poised to have his breakout season last year and came out average at best. He was removed from the team’s third down package in favor of Ahmed Brooks. Brooks shined in his new role and Manny never got it back. Manny never played with consistent intensity. Singletary didn’t start Manny versus Seattle to try to motivate him and Manny had a great game; he had seven tackles and a sack. Unfortunately, the next game versus Arizona he didn’t have the same intensity and only had two tackles.

Manny Lawson is in the last year of his contract and it isn’t starting out like the 49er’s faithful would like it to. Manny skipped the 49er’s OTAs. When his agent was asked about this he replied “No comment.” In any other year no one would bat an eye at that, but this year is different. This year players are dieing to be at practice (David Bass), this year players are talking about working out together to build a rhythm (Crabtree and Smith), this year players who don’t fall in line with the 49ers culture change will be replaced. Without a breakout year I don’t expect Manny Lawson to be back with the 49ers.

NinersCentral.com

Thoughts/Reactions???

I love what manny brings with his speed and coverage skills, the niners was 3rd in sacks this year! Big time improvement sure, but would be nice if manny would explode and live up to that hype. Not making any excuses! I wonder if this past year was him just getting used to playing from his injury! I do know he had came back the year before. But nolan had em on special teams and on limited time. Hopefully this will be his break out year. If he starts playing like the baller he has the potential to do he could be a monster out there. I'm pretty happy with what he does bring tho. He is very solid in coverage, and he did cause quite a few hurries out there this year just failed to sack the qb as much as we like. He has been stout versus the run and has been a good alround player for us imo of course!
Originally posted by frankie:
Quote:

NinersCentral.com

Thoughts/Reactions???

I love what manny brings with his speed and coverage skills, the niners was 3rd in sacks this year! Big time improvement sure, but would be nice if manny would explode and live up to that hype. Not making any excuses! I wonder if this past year was him just getting used to playing from his injury! I do know he had came back the year before. But nolan had em on special teams and on limited time. Hopefully this will be his break out year. If he starts playing like the baller he has the potential to do he could be a monster out there. I'm pretty happy with what he does bring tho. He is very solid in coverage, and he did cause quite a few hurries out there this year just failed to sack the qb as much as we like. He has been stout versus the run and has been a good alround player for us imo of course!

Cosigned. I'd love to see Manny break out but I don't know if it'll happen. To be honest I kind of think the writer is just picking on Manny just to have someone to pick on, because there's nothing to talk about besides the draft at this point in the offseason.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by frankie:
Quote:

NinersCentral.com

Thoughts/Reactions???

Cosigned. I'd love to see Manny break out but I don't know if it'll happen. To be honest I kind of think the writer is just picking on Manny just to have someone to pick on, because there's nothing to talk about besides the draft at this point in the offseason.

I do believe ya are right sir! I guess the writer doesn't realize with what manny brings to the table allows us to have more flexibility with what defences we use! I mean dude can cover! Lol wasn't it his rookie year he picked off holt! Holt wasn't slow during mannys rookie season lol. Damn this slow off season lol
He is replaceable
As much as I love having Manny on this team, you have to admit, Manny has been a disappointment up to now. Manny is versatile, but he was drafted to get after the opposing team's QB! He hasn't been able to do that on a consistant basis. 12 total sacks in his 4 year career!!! Hopefully 2010 will be his breakout year, or he may not return in 2011?
Originally posted by teeohh:
He is replaceable

Agreed. His coverage skills are not as great as they're made out to be and he shouldn't be given anything more than 2nd string money.

-9fA
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Manny is huge in run support. He sets the edge better than most linebackers in the league. He is a very good first and second down OLB in the base defense but he is not an elite pass rusher. Unfortunately, someone will overpay for him after this season and it probably wont be the 49ers. I would love for him to stay here and continue to be a very important part of this team but he will most likely go where the money is.
As much as I like Manny on this team, I have to agree with your post. He hasn't lived up to the expectations of a 1st rounder.

This season will tell all, thats for sure. He will have to show Coach Sing that he is a winner or he will be gone........
It sucks, he's has a great personality, and is one of the most athletic LB's in the league; it's sad that he can't become the beast he was born to be.

Can somebody please name or show me several games where Manny was great in coverage? I think it was one game against Tony Gonzalez but that's all I can recall. Is it the defensive scheme b/c tight ends, and screen passes kill the Niners. If he's so good in coverage shouldn't he be negating some of these plays. And I guarantee Manny's agent has already told him he's gonna be the odd man out come contract time. Out of VD, Willis, Manny , and Goldson he's out of the mix. Not to mention he gets replaced on 3rd downs by Brooks. Add to the fact that he could earn a good amount on the free market due to the lack of pure 4-3 OLB's which I think he really is. Manny is a average. Draft a good pass rusher in this year's draft and get him a year under the system to replace him.
Dont forget the guy is came back from a tearing his knee up. To lead the team in sacks and as a team, tied for 3rd....sounds good to me!!! Manny will be fine. He's smart enough to see that we having something here and for him to want leave would be foolish.

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Apr 9, 2010 at 08:03:23 ]
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Dont forget the guy is came back from a tearing his knee up. To lead the team in sacks and as a team, tied for 3rd....sounds good to me!!! Manny will be fine. He's smart enough to see that we having something here and for him to want leave would be foolish.

Country Grammar
That article was poorly written... And it was all based off the writer's personal assumptions. Everyone had the same info. And MM and Barrows BOTH said that skipping these OTAs in peticular was not a big deal, especially since the HEAD coach wasn't even there himself. Lawson did NOTHING to say he "isn't on board" except miss that OTA, which FYI, other players missed too, but coincidentally, this writer decides not to mention.. Awful article. Trying to create a stir from something that isn't there.
If all you had to look at was tackles and sacks to evaluate a player we would all be millionaire GMs. Manny is a very good player, albeit not the best passrusher, but does his job quite well and is one of the best NFL OLBs in coverage, TFL's, holding off the edge on running plays, FG/punt blocks, etc... Those things are HUGE and can't be overlooked.
Share 49ersWebzone