LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

We Need a Return Man So...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
...why not use Reggie Smith?

Quote:
COLLEGE:
•Saw action in 39 games with 36 starts at Oklahoma, with 20 starts coming at strong safety and 16 at cornerback. A two-time All-Big 12 Conference first-team selection, recorded 166 tackles, 22 PDs, 8 INTs (1 returned for TD), 3 FRs (2 returned for TDs) and 1 sack in three-year career. Also returned 33 kickoffs for 721 yds. (21.9 avg) and 67 punts for 490 yds. (7.3 avg) with 1 TD. Started 13 games as a senior after making 10 starts at strong safety and 3 starts at cornerback as a junior. Spent first 2 games as a reserve before starting final 10 games at strong safety as a freshman.

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 8, 2010 at 18:57:15 ]
if he could do it, I'm sure Sing would have put him in.
i want a home run threat...i'd like to see us burn a pick on just a specialized returner at this point
I think if he can stay healthy he could do it for us.
I do pretty good with him in Madden 10.
i think we should draft a returner in the second round like on Dexter McCluster i don't think spiller is worth that high of a pick for us and in the first round we should beef up our o line
Originally posted by BigBug415:

But does he make the probowl in madden

I think the reason he hasn't been utilized this way is maybe just maybe they have other future plans for reggie! But idk we had clements out there which I don't like to be honest! Nate dawg clements is our hitman at corner
That they aren't using him already speaks to the point that they've already tried him and he's not very good, or else he's not really interested. If he was, he'd be volunteering to help (and get some playing time).

Don't get me wrong... I like Reggie. It's just that he hasn't showed me (or the coaching staff) anything so far.
Originally posted by Yetiman:
That they aren't using him already speaks to the point that they've already tried him and he's not very good, or else he's not really interested. If he was, he'd be volunteering to help (and get some playing time).

Don't get me wrong... I like Reggie. It's just that he hasn't showed me (or the coaching staff) anything so far.

I was thinking the same thing. If it was me, I would be looking for any opportunity to get out onto the field. I doubt that Reggie makes the team this year.

Haha so do I.

Originally posted by waiting4number6:

Haha so do I.

same here, and I don't get beat deep (i sub him in for M. Lewis)
Originally posted by frankie:

I think the reason he hasn't been utilized this way is maybe just maybe they have other future plans for reggie! But idk we had clements out there which I don't like to be honest! Nate dawg clements is our hitman at corner

Clements did well in Buffalo as a PR and the only reason we never placed him there is the big contract we gave him. They didn't want him doing such a dangerous job and risk losing him to injury after pouring that much money into him. I am almost positive he will have to restructure his contract soon, so if we don't draft a legitimate return man, I think we should put Clements back there. We have nobody better. Not even close.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:

Haha so do I.

same here, and I don't get beat deep (i sub him in for M. Lewis)

Haha so do I, haha. Why the hell was Mike Lewis covering deep against the Eagles ie Fraction Jackson gets behind him for one of DeSean's patented home run scores? Ugghh other than Gore's greatness in that game I want that game wiped from my memory.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Clements did well in Buffalo as a PR and the only reason we never placed him there is the big contract we gave him. They didn't want him doing such a dangerous job and risk losing him to injury after pouring that much money into him. I am almost positive he will have to restructure his contract soon, so if we don't draft a legitimate return man, I think we should put Clements back there. We have nobody better. Not even close.

Yeah I do see a restructure in the near future, but if the future seasons remain uncapped maybe not. He may be our best option but I do believe they would be fools to toss clements out there on pr duty! It increases the chances of injury! Kr pr, and kickers are the most sought after target over anybody on the field! And well one good cheap shot and we could lose em for a season or so. Idk, I hope we find another option out there and we don't have to rely on clements on pr duty! He is a badass cb for us I'd like em to remain so. My opinion of course
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Yeah I do see a restructure in the near future, but if the future seasons remain uncapped maybe not. He may be our best option but I do believe they would be fools to toss clements out there on pr duty! It increases the chances of injury! Kr pr, and kickers are the most sought after target over anybody on the field! And well one good cheap shot and we could lose em for a season or so. Idk, I hope we find another option out there and we don't have to rely on clements on pr duty! He is a badass cb for us I'd like em to remain so. My opinion of course

I agree and I know the team does as well, which is pretty much what they said when we first signed him and he was asked by a reporter if he would handle return duties. Clements looked at Nolan, who pretty much gave him the "no way" response. I believe the beat writers also covered the reasoning for Clements not handling return duties, and the money was the main issue because of the injury concerns.

On the other hand, though, he handled return duties in Buffalo and never missed a game.
Share 49ersWebzone