There are 166 users in the forums

Brandon Jones

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrooklynNiner15:
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Not sure why we gave this guy a big contract last year... 1 catch in 2009... am I crazy or should this guy be cut by now?

Jaon hill will beat Jones out for the # 3.

That would be sweet since he is a san fran native product. And if b jones has a healthy offseason, he wouldn't be a bad #4 guy to have come in! Just please no more jones on punt duty! Go hill, and jones! If they both do great the niners do great! Then they push morgan and crabs, not bad if ya ask me. I def don't see crabs loosing his job tho lol
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Dominate:
He was the highlight of the 09 off season until he got injured on an acrobatic catch. I think he deserves a shot this year based on all of the reports of how good he was doing in practice. He should be healed by now.

Hill > Jones

Jones could be a very nice 4th wr, but not at what we paid him! One of our worst FA signings in recent memory.

Not according to the Matt's observations from last camp. Hill has always been the odd man out because he can never stay healthy, but I remember Jones being the best receiver on the field when all were practicing together.

We all know the money he's making makes no sense, but we may be surprised.

Key word being "practice." All I know is everytime Hill steps on the field he makes plays. Dont get me wrong, I would like to have a guy that practices well and plays well in games, but at the end of the day I'm picking the guy with production.

I'm so tired of the NFL Copy cat league. Because of guys like Randy Moss and D.Jackson now everyone wants that big deep recieving threat. The same can be said about CJ (speedy back) and OLB (Monster Passrusher). How about just playing solid sound ball in whatever scheme you play with the guys you have. I'm convinced almost any style wins as long has you have the right players and you execute.

Not really. Go look at the post where the guy breaks down the Philly game and why our drives stalled, Hill dropped like 2 or 3 crucial passes. He actually had a few drops last year that he definitely should've caught and that doesn't help when you're glued to the bench. I'm willing to give Jones just as much of a chance as Hill, neither of them have earned the 3rd/4th WR job yet.

Interesting, I dont recall that at all. I would love to rewatch games, but dont know how. I only save them on my DVR then erase them after it gets full.

If the breakdown is just stats it's not as compelling as there are a lot of things stats dont tell, like where was the ball thrown.

It's in that thread and I remember a few of dude's drops also, he also had a critical one in the Seattle game IIRC. I remembered them towards the end of the season because I was telling people that he'd do well if he just got to get on the field and got some throws, and I'm pretty sure he dropped atleast 4 crucial passes which could have extended drives. Considering he had 9 total catches that's a lot of drops IMO. I want it to work out for the guy but I see everyone ripping Jones when he was mainly a victim of injury and Bruce getting to play because he was a veteran and Morgan was touted as the up and comer. In TC he was killing it and he has some speed, so lets give the guy a chance before we send him to the scrap heap.
Originally posted by BrooklynNiner15:
Not sure why we gave this guy a big contract last year... 1 catch in 2009... am I crazy or should this guy be cut by now?

Jaon hill will beat Jones out for the # 3.

I'm not so sure about that, Hill was borderline cut last year as he was playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers in preseason.

If Jones can replicate the noise that he was making past training camp, I think he'll be penciled in over Hill on the depth chart.

-9fA
Brandon Jones is the same player as Bryant Johnston was. Why did pick either of them up??? "But Brandon Jones had a good training camp last year". Dude, its training camp. Kentwan Balmer had a good training camp last year, so what does that tell you? Last time I checked, games were what counted; not practices. "But he got injured". When he was healthy, he did not make the most of his opportunities to play.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Brandon Jones is the same player as Bryant Johnston was. Why did pick either of them up??? "But Brandon Jones had a good training camp last year". Dude, its training camp. Kentwan Balmer had a good training camp last year, so what does that tell you? Last time I checked, games were what counted; not practices. "But he got injured". When he was healthy, he did not make the most of his opportunities to play.

Bryant Johnson you know actually made some plays with us. Unlike Jones
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

This, I would have rather re-signed Johnson. He was a nice target in the red zone. I think he was better than fans gave him credit despite our poor offense.

Maby they cut Scotty Mac instead...?
Jones will get his shot to be the number 3 WR.

The only problem? The Niners rarely use 3 WR sets with our double-TE scheme. So, in the end, it really doesn't matter very much, compared to the productivity of our number 1 and 2 WR's.

Bryant Johnston and Kentwan Balmer play well when they get a chance. Comparing Jones to them is somehow bad? Just because there are people in front of a guy on the depth chart only means there is talent on your team, it doesn't necessarily mean anything about the player himself.
Originally posted by Esco:

This, I would have rather re-signed Johnson. He was a nice target in the red zone. I think he was better than fans gave him credit despite our poor offense.

Crabtree and Davis are great targets in the red zone. I would have liked to have Bryant Johnson back too but red zone targets aren't as much of an issue right now as our lack of a speed/big play receiver.

Not saying the other receivers/TE's can't make big plays down the field or after they catch a short pass, just that Jones' specialty is supposed to be just that. He's not taking anyone else's roster spot so I hope to see if he can do what they brought him in to do this season.

Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Esco:

Crabtree and Davis are great targets in the red zone. I would have liked to have Bryant Johnson back too but red zone targets aren't as much of an issue right now as our lack of a speed/big play receiver.

Not saying the other receivers/TE's can't make big plays down the field or after they catch a short pass, just that Jones' specialty is supposed to be just that. He's not taking anyone else's roster spot so I hope to see if he can do what they brought him in to do this season.

this. our lack of speed is keeping us from getting the next level. when everyone can catch you we don't have a home-run threat. everyone team has one or more. we have NONE. must be addressed.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Jones will get his shot to be the number 3 WR.

The only problem? The Niners rarely use 3 WR sets with our double-TE scheme. So, in the end, it really doesn't matter very much, compared to the productivity of our number 1 and 2 WR's.

Agreed.

Maybe if we're down by 20, Raye brushes off the dust of the few plays that he has, otherwise we rarely use the formation.

-9fA
He was the highlight of the 09 off season until he got injured on an acrobatic catch. I think he deserves a shot this year based on all of the reports of how good he was doing in practice. He should be healed by now.

Hill > Jones

Jones could be a very nice 4th wr, but not at what we paid him! One of our worst FA signings in recent memory.

yes!
still havnt hear anything about this guy.. and hes got a 15 mil contract
Originally posted by Trajik1:

Hill > Jones

yes!

I dunno, I think it's a tossup between Johnnie Morton or Ashlie Lelie. I'm leaning more toward Morton than Lelie since Sullivan is an idiot. I wish the Redskins would have asked to interview him too.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone