LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Brandon Jones

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Not sure why we gave this guy a big contract last year... 1 catch in 2009... am I crazy or should this guy be cut by now?

You're crazy. We gave him a MODERATE contract because... we had a huge hole in the WR corps, they assumed/hoped/thought that Bruce was retiring, and no one thought Uncle Al was actually going to let Crabtree fall to the 9ers. Jones was one of, if not the, best FA receiver still available when they signed him.

He only had 1 catch because he never got on the field, mostly due to a shoulder injury - in the same training camp that every 9er beat writer said he was the best receiver on the field - sidelined him for quite a while and when he came back Crabtree was signed. He should play a bigger role with no Battle or Bruce, assuming he stays healthy this time.

I actually like having quality depth at the WR position. If Jones is our 3rd or 4th best receiver that is somehow a bad thing?

P.S. Cutting guys doesn't make your team better.

This.

Remember the timeline when he was signed, and who was currently on the team. And as fans, we should not be bean counters. We should want guys like this for depth in the WR position.
he may surprise some of you this year. i remember hearing last offseason that he was impressing everyday before he got hurt. a year in the same offense will help everyone, not just the qb's. i expect huge improvement on offense this year just based on consistency, chemistry and timing
we dont need an injury prone player

This is football. Every guy that practices and plays is prone to injury. The ones that don't get injured are lucky.

Wut about P willis??? never missed a game in 3 years...

Good job. You just f**ked us with that post! Thanks a lot for the jinx.

P.S. He just had surgery. But that wasn't because of a football related injury was it?

no its was very minor sergury.. I just had to get My ACL and both my minescus done.... now that is sergury buddy

Nope, that was surgery.

Anyways, surgery is always serious. Surgery = cutting tissue. Also, P Willy was out last TC too. He's lucky not to have missed time in his young NFL career. Bringing it up or talking about it like you did is bad karma though...

dude bersectomy is no big deal

Ya, maybe not in the NFL. But it would be to me and most of the rest of us. The procedure and recovery would be a big deal to me. Which is my point, NFL players are prone to injury. It's the nature of the game. Just because a guy gets hurt doesn't mean he's "injury prone", it means he's a football player.

wut u scarred? you live in a bubble like i said i had acl and meniscus sergury... do you kno wut that is??? cant live ur life in a bubble buddy

WTF does what you went through have to do with me being scared or the fact that men that play the most violent sport on earth are prone to injury have to do with anything?

Not sure just stirring the pot

I`d say boxing and MMA are more violent sports. Hockey is up for debate, but it might be more violent than Football too.
Originally posted by Dominate:

This is football. Every guy that practices and plays is prone to injury. The ones that don't get injured are lucky.

P.S. He just had surgery. But that wasn't because of a football related injury was it?

no its was very minor sergury.. I just had to get My ACL and both my minescus done.... now that is sergury buddy

Nope, that was surgery.

Anyways, surgery is always serious. Surgery = cutting tissue. Also, P Willy was out last TC too. He's lucky not to have missed time in his young NFL career. Bringing it up or talking about it like you did is bad karma though...

Ya, maybe not in the NFL. But it would be to me and most of the rest of us. The procedure and recovery would be a big deal to me. Which is my point, NFL players are prone to injury. It's the nature of the game. Just because a guy gets hurt doesn't mean he's "injury prone", it means he's a football player.

wut u scarred? you live in a bubble like i said i had acl and meniscus sergury... do you kno wut that is??? cant live ur life in a bubble buddy

WTF does what you went through have to do with me being scared or the fact that men that play the most violent sport on earth are prone to injury have to do with anything?

I`d say boxing and MMA are more violent sports. Hockey is up for debate, but it might be more violent than Football too.

hockey is definitely rougher than football. the speed in hockey is much faster so more force and their pads are not as big and they get to kick the s**t out of each other instead of acting tough in each others faces and being split up.
Originally posted by sixbricks:
Jones = Playoffs

That is funny
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Nope, that was surgery.

hockey is definitely rougher than football. the speed in hockey is much faster so more force and their pads are not as big and they get to kick the s**t out of each other instead of acting tough in each others faces and being split up.

Nobody in any sport sustains injuries the way NFL players do. Either in quantity or severity. It's not even close.
Originally posted by vermonator:
I'm afraid that Jones is one of McCloughan's bad FA signings. See Jennings, Gilmore, D-Jax, Lelie, Bryant Johnson, Tully Banta-Cain, Marvel Smith, etc. They may have once looked good on paper but none of them ever gave any real contribution for the money they received.

Those were not bad signings at the time and, aside from Jennings, didn't have any real salary cap implications.

All of those were bad signings except Bryant Johnson None of those guys produced anything
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame

Nope, that was surgery.

"Just stirring the pot" for no reason but to start stuff is called "inciting" here and is against the rules.
Originally posted by Oscar:

Nope, that was surgery.

"Just stirring the pot" for no reason but to start stuff is called "inciting" here and is against the rules.

lol all i was saying u cant be scarred to get hurt playing sports....
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame

Nope, that was surgery.

And you could have said it like that the first time

Nope, that was surgery.

And you could have said it like that the first time

good point lol

Nope, that was surgery.

Nobody in any sport sustains injuries the way NFL players do. Either in quantity or severity. It's not even close.

You are wrong again. Actually baseball has more injuries then any other sport.

Nope, that was surgery.

You are wrong again. Actually baseball has more injuries then any other sport.

acsually its fishing
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by vermonator:
I'm afraid that Jones is one of McCloughan's bad FA signings. See Jennings, Gilmore, D-Jax, Lelie, Bryant Johnson, Tully Banta-Cain, Marvel Smith, etc. They may have once looked good on paper but none of them ever gave any real contribution for the money they received.

Those were not bad signings at the time and, aside from Jennings, didn't have any real salary cap implications.

All of those were bad signings except Bryant Johnson None of those guys produced anything

They are only bad signings if they meant that we didn't sign someone else at that position the same offseason, for the same money, that would have been a better signing...

Jennings turned out to be a bad signing but he was the best available FA tackle that offseason.

Gilmore? So what? We had nearly no WR talent and we sign a guy on the cheap that actually made plays for us and it was a bad signing. The move was not getting another WR (Gilmore's signing didn't have an effect on that) after letting Antonio Bryant go.

D-Jax was considered a very good receiver coming off his time in Seattle, just injured a lot but very good when healthy.

Lelie too. They signed him to one year on the cheap, hoping it would turn out but no big loss if it didn't. He did seem to make plays when they actually got him on the field and threw it to him...

TBC played well in New England before the 9ers, and then again after the 9ers. Something tells me there was something going on here.

Marvel Smith was taking the best you could at the time. What were their options? They took a low risk/high reward shot that didn't pan out.

Every signing has to be analyzed as to when the signing was made, who else was available and for how much, as well as how much and for how long the 9ers paid the guy.

P.S. Me thinks you're also forgetting the Nolan/Hostler (not to mention Dilfer) issue the year we had Lelie and DJax.

Nope, that was surgery.

Still has nothing to do with what we were talking about.
Share 49ersWebzone