LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Brandon Jones

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not sure why we gave this guy a big contract last year... 1 catch in 2009... am I crazy or should this guy be cut by now?
He was the highlight of the 09 off season until he got injured on an acrobatic catch. I think he deserves a shot this year based on all of the reports of how good he was doing in practice. He should be healed by now.
Who the fck is Brandon Jones?
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
He was the highlight of the 09 off season until he got injured on an acrobatic catch. I think he deserves a shot this year based on all of the reports of how good he was doing in practice. He should be healed by now.

Hill > Jones

Jones could be a very nice 4th wr, but not at what we paid him! One of our worst FA signings in recent memory.
Brandon Jones = Superbowl
Originally posted by Dominate:

Hill > Jones

Jones could be a very nice 4th wr, but not at what we paid him! One of our worst FA signings in recent memory.

I look at Jones as being the more down-field threat than I do Hill, who I see as more of a slot receiver. That said, I would be interested in seeing a 3WR set with Crabtree, Jones, and Hill, with Davis lined up off-tackle.

Hill > Jones

Not according to the Matt's observations from last camp. Hill has always been the odd man out because he can never stay healthy, but I remember Jones being the best receiver on the field when all were practicing together.

We all know the money he's making makes no sense, but we may be surprised.
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Not sure why we gave this guy a big contract last year... 1 catch in 2009... am I crazy or should this guy be cut by now?

You're crazy. We gave him a MODERATE contract because... we had a huge hole in the WR corps, they assumed/hoped/thought that Bruce was retiring, and no one thought Uncle Al was actually going to let Crabtree fall to the 9ers. Jones was one of, if not the, best FA receiver still available when they signed him.

He only had 1 catch because he never got on the field, mostly due to a shoulder injury - in the same training camp that every 9er beat writer said he was the best receiver on the field - sidelined him for quite a while and when he came back Crabtree was signed. He should play a bigger role with no Battle or Bruce, assuming he stays healthy this time.

I actually like having quality depth at the WR position. If Jones is our 3rd or 4th best receiver that is somehow a bad thing?

P.S. Cutting guys doesn't make your team better.
Originally posted by Giggidy:
I look at Jones as being the more down-field threat than I do Hill, who I see as more of a slot receiver. That said, I would be interested in seeing a 3WR set with Crabtree, Jones, and Hill, with Davis lined up off-tackle.

Me too. I thought you'd see that at least once last year but it seems like it was always only 2 WRs and 2 TEs (Walker line up as a WR), never 3 WRs and 1 TE.
Jones = Playoffs

[ Edited by sixbricks on Apr 8, 2010 at 16:27:42 ]

Hill > Jones

Not according to the Matt's observations from last camp. Hill has always been the odd man out because he can never stay healthy, but I remember Jones being the best receiver on the field when all were practicing together.

We all know the money he's making makes no sense, but we may be surprised.

Camp? Come on dude. Those are drills, I want someone who can play in games. He didnt get on the field cause he wasnt as good as the other players.
  • kem99
  • Veteran

Just curious, what would be gained by cutting him now? There's no cap so its not a salary cap issue. I don't know what he is being paid for 2010 but there have not been any reports about a roster bonus or big salary number (such as in Clements case). So, regardless of what happened in 2009, what would the 49ers gain by cutting him now? If he goes to camp and gets beaten out, then fine but, for now, there is no upside to cutting Jones prior to training camp (or at least the draft).
Originally posted by kem99:

Just curious, what would be gained by cutting him now? There's no cap so its not a salary cap issue. I don't know what he is being paid for 2010 but there have not been any reports about a roster bonus or big salary number (such as in Clements case). So, regardless of what happened in 2009, what would the 49ers gain by cutting him now? If he goes to camp and gets beaten out, then fine but, for now, there is no upside to cutting Jones prior to training camp (or at least the draft).

Don't forget, cutting guys makes your team better!
Originally posted by sixbricks:
Jones = Playoffs

I think he's ringing more than just a bell...
I think he'll push Morgan for the #2 spot and I wouldn't be surprised if he beats him out.
Share 49ersWebzone