LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Holding CB roster spots for Harris and/or Bly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just did the math on the current roster: 61 players signed. Since the NFL allows 80 for TC, there are 19 spots still available.

No Niner UFA signing activity since McCloughan was canned.

Factor in the 9 draft picks. Then sign some post-draft UDFA's (up to 8 more rookies). That still leaves 2 spots for late decisions on Harris and/or Bly. No hurry here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see both in Niner TC. Might be nice to hear about how Harris' rehab is progressing. Remember that Harris was a Round 1 pick (by Chicago) and has been arguably the best Niner UFA signing value (performance vs cost) since 2005.

Do you really prefer Kevin Smith and Karl Paymah to a healthy Harris and Bly?

[ Edited by jimbagg on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:21:57 ]
I am really wanting to see how Harris come back from his injury. Good thing for us it happend early in camps so he will have about 16+ months of recovery time. Not sure if thats enough time for someone his age but I sure hope so.
Arguably, the team needs help at DB more than any other position. And I mean help with SPEED at that position. With that in mind Kyle Wilson in the draft?

And to help with the transition, it would be great if Harris made a complete recovery so that the Niners could get another good year out of him. That would be a HUGE help.

I feel uncomfortable about Bly. I admit that his Dieon Sanders impersonation, and his reaction when it all subsequently turned sour, has influenced my perception. Stupid. But, sure, no harm in bringing him in for TC.
I'd be happy if we had either bly or walt on this team next yr!
I'd still rather have Harris out there vs. T. Brown or Keith Smith.

I still maintain that Harris was our best CB during the years he was healthy.
Originally posted by maximill15:

Ditto on the above: I would prefer Bly over Harris if I had to take only one, but both would add some value to the team, whether tangible or intangible.
I already told ya'll that Walt Harris will be on the team this year. Just book it. Bly is 50/50.
in your theory they might be holding a spot for harris and bly, but i wouldnt hold your breath, i dont see either one of them on this team next year
This team needs YOUTH and SPEED in the secondary.
Originally posted by Giggidy:

Ditto on the above: I would prefer Bly over Harris if I had to take only one, but both would add some value to the team, whether tangible or intangible.

Why Bly over Harris? Harris when healthy has been the better CB. Are you concerned about the age? That may be a point. We'll see . . . Harris is a real healty nut, he could make a better than expected recovery.

I'd imagine the team would prefer a healthy Harris (was a starter) over a healthy Bly (never a starter).

Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Giggidy:

Why Bly over Harris? Harris when healthy has been the better CB. Are you concerned about the age? That may be a point. We'll see . . . Harris is a real healty nut, he could make a better than expected recovery.

I'd imagine the team would prefer a healthy Harris (was a starter) over a healthy Bly (never a starter).

Yes, you're correct: most of my concern over Harris was durability, especially as the season wore on. Also, I do prefer Harris' ball-hawking skills and hands over Bly, but, from what I have seen, Bly seems to adjust faster to WRs' attempts to create separation than Harris. But, if both are healthy, I could see Harris having the edge.
I believe neither is coming back and we are holding a CB spot because we are obiosly drafting one!

Either happy with Haden or Wilson!
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I believe neither is coming back and we are holding a CB spot because we are obiosly drafting one!

Either happy with Haden or Wilson!

Me 2!!!
Originally posted by BigBug415:
This team needs YOUTH and SPEED in the secondary.

This
Grab Haden at 13 and an OT at 17 pick up a S at 49 and don't look back
Share 49ersWebzone