LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 218 users in the forums

An Optimistic Post

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Okay, so after looking at the niners roster, thinking about how they ended the season and listening to this audio clip . I must say I'm very confident that the niners are going to win the west, make the playoffs and I think Alex Smith is going to emerge and prove himself as the niners QB of the future. If Alex Smith does a mediocre job I think he's done and the front office will start to look around. But I don't think he will. Alex finally has the one element that guys like Peyton Manning have had the luxury of always having... continuity and consistency. Those two elements are vital to a QB's improvement and finally Alex has it.

Besides that, I'm very happy with the resigns of Brooks and Simms. Brooks was a key sign that I think a lot of people could pass off as nothing special. But it wasn't. If brooks emerges (which I think he will) he'll make the niners front office look good.

Aside from the personnel, Jed has handled himself well despite all the tough decisions he's had to make (Firing Nolan, Scotty and not going after McNabb). There are a handful of complainers on this board. Sorry, but it's true. Thankfully, I think this year they'll be changing their tune.

[ Edited by mustangmele on Apr 6, 2010 at 16:53:06 ]
we're all gonna die
I hate my job.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
I hate my job.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
we're all gonna die

Well, duhhhh.... listened to any Jim Morrison lately?

Actually, I choose to be optimistic about this season as well. Why not? I agree with Mustang that Alex Smith is likely to (finally) have a breakout season given some continuity. Also agree with Jed making the best of a bad situation; what other team presidents have had to fire their GM's for similar sorts of personal problems?

Draft is a couple of weeks away and likely we'll add several contributors. Don't know about you guys but I live in the mountains of New Mexico and after a tough winter, Spring finally seems to be making an appearance so yeah, I'm optimistic. You can be, too...it's your choice.
I find my optimism is bi-polar. Depending on which games i go back and watch...

I'm excited for Alex and what he can do, but also worried about what he can do.

The defense showed flashes but also gave up a ton of passing yards.

Brooks recorded 5 sacks in 2 games, although 3 were against a backup LT, and 2 against the Lions...
I think we will win the west by 2 games and sweep the division (unless SEA gets a lot help from the refs like last year) and Smith will have a 90 or so rating. VD and Crabtree will be great and Gore of course.

The niners D, like many Great run defenses, give up a lot of passing yards BECAUSE teams can't and DO NOT run....it's logical and makes sense. So the argument that the pass D didn't do great is skewed. It did very good against almost every team (GB we did not have Clements and i feel that was our worst game, along with ATL 1 play when clements went for the int) we held Manning and Favre in check big time....yes i know Favre had 1 great play at the end.

Ask Warner if Brooks is good....he owned the cards and a lot of other teams WHEN GIVEN the chance. He will be like a James Harrison type on the Steelers and take over Parys' place eventually. Either way we are great and set at the LB positions.

Niners 11-5 to 10-6 depending on injuries and if Gore misses 3 games
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:

Brooks recorded 5 sacks in 2 games, although 3 were against a backup LT, and 2 against the Lions...

Yards aren't points... They don't actually matter.
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:

ya the defense pissed me off a lot we lost the colts vikings and green bay games because of they couldnt get off the field in 4th quarter
  • titan
  • Veteran
I can't believe you use Smith and Manning in the same paragraph. Manning is consistently awesome and he continues to do so and Smith is consistently average and people continue to hope he can be like Manning. Consistency and Continuity are not the problem. I think it's talent and leadership!

Originally posted by titan:
I can't believe you use Smith and Manning in the same paragraph. Manning is consistently awesome and he continues to do so and Smith is consistently average and people continue to hope he can be like Manning. Consistency and Continuity are not the problem. I think it's talent and leadership!

I'm not trying to say that Smith is equal to Manning in anyway (right now). But, I'm pointing out that Smith hasn't had the consistency that Manning has been given so generously. In my opinion, if Manning had 5 different offensive coordinators in the last 5 years he'd have ZERO super bowl rings. Manning was in the same offensive philosophy year after year for a long time. That's a QB's dream. That's like taking the same classes every year in school. Not to mention he's ALWAYS had great WR's and O-lines. The Colts did a great job setting him up for success. Manning owes the colts for making life easy on him. Not trying to take anything away from Manning. He's a great QB and will go down as one of the greatest, but he's human (interception in super bowl). This would become extremely apparent if he was thrown on the 49ers from 2005 - 2009.

I know what your saying about Smith being a leader though. He'll have his chance this year without any excuses. But, when you really think about it, either the organization or the opportunity hasn't really put him in a position to be one. We'll see what happens this year. Until Smith stinks it up, I got high hopes for him and the offense.

[ Edited by mustangmele on Apr 6, 2010 at 21:38:45 ]
2 Days of OTAs and Smith is already in command of the huddle, calling out blitz pick up packages. The have the full offense already, its just the wrinkles.

Whereas all the previous years, it was always learning the new offense.

This might be the year Urban Meyer is proved right that once he gets it, he gets it.

Just saying.
  • flow
  • Veteran
You're not allowed to be optimistic on the Zone, you're just not.

we'll be a good team when we can eliminate our inconsistent play such as the first halves against GB, HOU and games like CHI, ATL
I like the Niners this year. Niners are good. Niners have Patrick Willis, and he is good. After listening to this audio clip I feel good about our chances.

Also, Alex is good, but he can be bad; he throws good TDs, but also bad picks. Overall, I think Alex is gonna throw TDs, but also INTs.

We resigned back up players...YEEY. Jed's name sounds like Jed-i, so he should be good! Now less complaining, and more TD's!
Share 49ersWebzone