Our chances against the Eagles w/o McNabb

Shop Find 49ers gear online
one too many martini's...

[ Edited by 5280High on Apr 5, 2010 at 19:04:29 ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by prime21:
Why is everyone saying we will score 30+? the only time we went over 30 last season was against the Rams. Sure, we'll probably win, but we wont score more than 30, thats for sure. What, an offseason w/the same OC is an automatic guarantee that we will be so much better offensively next season? Our D is our bread & butter. Our Offense is never going to be above average until we toss Smith and get a real QB! UH-OH, another Smith hater! Yeah, I do hate Smith's game, it SUCKS! without Gore,Crabs,andDavis carrying the offense, we wouldnt even score......at all. Sure Smith will improve just enough to be a slightly below average QB, but he is and always will be a waste of F'INg time! Get rid of the bum! Im tired of seeing him in a 49ers uniform!

So what your saying is that without a RB, a TE, and Receivers... we wouldn't score. Very astute observation!

I think you failed to observe my point. The combined talents of Gore,Davis and Crabtree are pulling not only their own weight but also the but also the ton of bricks that are Alex Smith's shortcomings.

Oh I got it, but did it ever occur to you that without Smith, VD and Crabs would of never gotten a pass over 10 yards since Hill couldn't drive the ball deep. Or that defenses never respected Hill's arm so Gore constantly faced nine in the box. Hate all you want on Smith but just keep in mind he is our best option, and judging by how he played last season he's not all that bad of one. Whether you want to admit that is a different story. Is he ever gonna be Manning/Brady/Brees... no, but I would still pick him over half the QB's in the league.

based off what?

Win/loss record?
QB rating and stats?
consistency?
Stepping up as a leader and winning games?
Not losing games?
Taking his team to the Playoffs?
Accurate passes for his receivers?...u know, so they can catch it in stride

I'm sure there are 16 or more other QBs in this league that has one or more of those attributes....

so again...based off what, would you take Alex over all those QBs?

also, lets not bring Shaun and the 10yrd BS into this, I believe he still has our longest pass of the season last year that was in the air.....what was it 50yd Pass to Issac Bruce, in stride.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d812940d6/Bruce-50-yard-catch
Our chances just got tougher, every time Kolb jumped off the bench to relieve McNabb he barely broke a sweat (within continuity) to the team's chemistry/passing game.

Hate to say it, but that dude is gonna play at an Aaron Rogers level (very accurate thrower) with the talent he's surrounded by. -They may even win the Superbowl now since McChoke is gone.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Apr 5, 2010 at 20:11:34 ]
Im going to say our chances are going to be the same as they were without McNabb.... I dont think there offense will change much its the same system, their running game will be key for them next year i think.
mcnabb always killed us, the eagles are in for a rude awakening when kolb leads them to a 8-8 record. and one of those loses are going to be to the niners!

f**k kolb, ,the eagles, and anyone else in our way!
Kolb will probably just go Koy Detmer on us. It hasn't really mattered who the QB for Philly is when they play us it seems.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
i think we could have beaten 'em even with McNabb. their D sucks major arse. especially with their secondary and linebacking core being weak.

Jesus. Did you watch last season's game or did you skip that one?

This. Mcnabb didn't play very well in that game and we still lost. Alex Smith earned a qb rating of 40 in that game. So I doubt Mcnabb leaving Philly will suddenly make the Niners heavy favorites to beat them.
Originally posted by Snider8706:
mcnabb always killed us, the eagles are in for a rude awakening when kolb leads them to a 8-8 record. and one of those loses are going to be to the niners!

The Yorks?
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Originally posted by Snider8706:

The Yorks?

Lol.......I'm still hoping Jed proves us wrong.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Why is everyone saying we will score 30+? the only time we went over 30 last season was against the Rams. Sure, we'll probably win, but we wont score more than 30, thats for sure. What, an offseason w/the same OC is an automatic guarantee that we will be so much better offensively next season? Our D is our bread & butter. Our Offense is never going to be above average until we toss Smith and get a real QB! UH-OH, another Smith hater! Yeah, I do hate Smith's game, it SUCKS! without Gore,Crabs,andDavis carrying the offense, we wouldnt even score......at all. Sure Smith will improve just enough to be a slightly below average QB, but he is and always will be a waste of F'INg time! Get rid of the bum! Im tired of seeing him in a 49ers uniform!

So what your saying is that without a RB, a TE, and Receivers... we wouldn't score. Very astute observation!

I think you failed to observe my point. The combined talents of Gore,Davis and Crabtree are pulling not only their own weight but also the but also the ton of bricks that are Alex Smith's shortcomings.

Oh I got it, but did it ever occur to you that without Smith, VD and Crabs would of never gotten a pass over 10 yards since Hill couldn't drive the ball deep. Or that defenses never respected Hill's arm so Gore constantly faced nine in the box. Hate all you want on Smith but just keep in mind he is our best option, and judging by how he played last season he's not all that bad of one. Whether you want to admit that is a different story. Is he ever gonna be Manning/Brady/Brees... no, but I would still pick him over half the QB's in the league.

based off what?

Win/loss record?
QB rating and stats?
consistency?
Not losing games?

I'm sure there are 16 or more other QBs in this league that has one or more of those attributes....

also, lets not bring Shaun and the 10yrd BS into this, I believe he still has our longest pass of the season last year that was in the air.....what was it 50yd Pass to Issac Bruce, in stride.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d812940d6/Bruce-50-yard-catch

Agreed.

Do Smith apologists ever check his stats?

Alex "deep ball" Smith Avg yards per attempt: 6.3

Shaun "weak arm" Hill Avg yards per attempt: 6.1

Keep in mind that Hill played without Crabtree for all but one half (Crabtree's first ever start). Also the Niners changed the offense a bit for Smith and allowed him to pass the ball more times per game then they allowed Hill.

I wonder how Smith would have looked without Gore and Crabtree.

Hey I got an idea, lets talk about QBs we aren't going to have this season.. including the one we traded, and just ignore all reality! And just blab about all these scenarios and not focus on what we have and what is possible. You know we don't need 5+ new posts a day:))) It is offseason... I think it would be understandable not to need a new thread every day. This also goes for people claiming Alex Smith is going to be a PB QB and take us to Super Bowl, we get it, you've made yourself clear. Now lets see the team develop and him as well and see if what he does this season.Count Down, less then 24 hours till next McNabb/and or Alex Smith thread.

[ Edited by northstar on Apr 5, 2010 at 22:43:22 ]
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
as long as d. jax and celek are still on the team - they'd be tough to stop.
Agreed.

Keep in mind that Hill played without Crabtree for all but one half (Crabtree's first ever start). Also the Niners changed the offense a bit for Smith and allowed him to pass the ball more times per game then they allowed Hill.

How well you throw a deep ball really has minimal to do with yards/attempt. Playcalling is a bigger factor.

-9fA
Originally posted by Afrikan:

based off what?

Win/loss record?
QB rating and stats?
consistency?
Not losing games?

Agreed.

That .2 difference is about 7 inches.

O.K. , Smith is an upgrade over JTO,Shaun Hill, and Trent Dilfer......there is a theme here.....They all suck! except for Hill who did everything and more than a 3rd string QB should be asked to do. Oh yeah, Gore faced "9 in the box" even with Smith at QB, only because when we werent in the shotgun everyone knew it was a run because we are the only team with a QB that can only function in 1 formation. In case you forgot, we are the 9ers, and just cause weve had some off years, isnt a legit reason to blow off the Super Bowl every season. SUPER BOWL OR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by prime21 on Apr 6, 2010 at 07:28:53 ]
Share 49ersWebzone